What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.59SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not tried it yet to be honest but hopefully you can do the following:

1. Create a txt file on a folder alongside your .ovpn files and name it what ever you want something like 'nordpass.txt'

2. Put your username/password inside the file on two lines:
username
password

3. Then save it in the same place as the OPVN file on your router.
4. Open up your .ovpn file in notepad and add:

auth-user-pass nordpass.txt

I will have a go later when I am back

Posted in another R7800 thread, also posting here in case someone has some experience with 59SF in this regard)

Greetings and hoping one of you guys can help.

I have an R7800. 1.0.2.46 was the last FW I can run where I don't get bufferbloat. 52 and now 58 make Gforce Now gaming unplayable due to eventual packet loss and high latency. DSLreports buffer-bloat test also show bad bloat. Reverting to 46 ALWAYS fixes both the GforceNow problem and DSLReports buffer-bloat test. I get an A or a B with 46 and a D or F with anything later. This is repeatable 100% of the time.

I have not tried one of the custom FW builds found here. Is anyone able to verify my results, or test on custom firmware, or provide any thoughts or input? I appreciate anything at all.

Is anyone able to verify my results, or test on custom firmware, or provide any thoughts or input? I appreciate anything at all.

All i can say is Voxel's firmware is working good for me. I also tried the stock Netgear firmware .58 and it also worked good. I know some people are reporting issues but as of now i have none.

Intermittent high latency and packet loss on both radios (problem occurs on both radios at the same time) is new as of this release. Until now, I have had ZERO issues with my R7800 which is so much better than my trusty RT-AC68R. Reverting back to 1.0.2.54SF for now.

I am very confident the issue is in the stock firmware (from testing and finding the exact same behavior) and not a result of something that Voxel did.

Intermittent high latency and packet loss on both radios (problem occurs on both radios at the same time) is new as of this release. Until now, I have had ZERO issues with my R7800 which is so much better than my trusty RT-AC68R. Reverting back to 1.0.2.54SF for now.

I am very confident the issue is in the stock firmware (from testing and finding the exact same behavior) and not a result of something that Voxel did.

That's interesting . My daughter has been complaining of lag spikes happening a few times a day when gaming around the same time frame that I upgraded. Maybe I'll try dropping down again to see if it disappears . Did you need to do a reset when changing from 59SF to 54SF?

Hi,
I also have high latency issues with radio . I revert back to 54 for the moment. I did not do a factory reset after the upgrade.

That's interesting . My daughter has been complaining of lag spikes happening a few times a day when gaming around the same time frame that I upgraded. Maybe I'll try dropping down again to see if it disappears . Did you need to do a reset when changing from 59SF to 54SF?
As part of my testing, I reset after changing firmware every time. Resetting did not change the behavior for me, so I think it is OK to revert back to 54SF without a reset.

Same for me. I have latency issues while gaming every few minutes. Overwatch is unplayable :(

Can people with latency issues show some kind of ping test or something showing the problem. I and many others are using Voxel's and stock 58 firmware with no issues what so ever. It might help narrow things down if you posted something besides the the problem you think your having.

Can people with latency issues show some kind of ping test or something showing the problem. I and many others are using Voxel's and stock 58 firmware with no issues what so ever. It might help narrow things down if you posted something besides the the problem you think your having.
It was a ping test that makes me "think" I am having a problem. I did not post the results because I want to represent the problem in a better way and not just show that some packets got dropped. Histograms, latency vs time, etc.
Is watching syslog the only way to collect more information about the state of the system while testing? I am comfortable with system monitoring in Linux, but I have yet to investigate my options with these minimal router builds.

A poster on the Netgear forums said he was having issues till he reflashed NOT using the UI to auto install. He claims downloading the file and installing manually fixed all the issues. Just though i would mention this may be worth a try for those that auto installed via the UI.

I can confirm the packet loss and latency issues on the stock firmware.

I had .3% packet loss using stock 58 and 0% with 52.

Tried a few times going back and forth to be sure. Each test ran about half hour. Used pinginfoview utility in Windows on 5 GHz.

Interesting. Can confirm the issues with latency and packet loss.

Here are my results with ./hrping -n 500 -s 200 x.x.x.x -g (I pinged the first hop outside of my network):

Code:
Packets: sent=500, rcvd=471, error=0, lost=29 (5.8% loss) in 99.813059 sec
RTTs in ms: min/avg/max/dev: 4.598 / 28.549 / 1212.902 / 83.394
Bandwidth in kbytes/sec: sent=0.300, rcvd=0.283

ZCifnam.png

I've never seen these massive ping spike results on stock firmware—color me surprised.

I've benchmarked Voxel's firmware before, and have had very good results up until now. There is definitely something wrong with 1.0.2.58, and as a result, 1.0.2.59SF. I'm running Voxel's latest (1.0.2.59SF). Also for the record, I factory reset when 1.0.2.59SF flashed successfully.

Edit: After doing further research, it appears most people having this issue have WiFi devices connected to the 5GHz band. I was on 5GHz as well when doing the test above. I'll have to post 2.4GHz results.

Edit2: 2.4GHz results have been posted:

Code:
Packets: sent=500, rcvd=500, error=0, lost=0 (0.0% loss) in 99.818795 sec
RTTs in ms: min/avg/max/dev: 5.792 / 12.938 / 59.533 / 5.940
Bandwidth in kbytes/sec: sent=0.300, rcvd=0.300

Last edited:
Yep i have now been testing this myself when i have the time. I can also confirm ping spikes that can go from a steady 30ms to over 1600ms. I have even seem some pings simply time out and then continue. Have to agree now something wrong with NG .58 firmware that has also crossed to Voxel's new 59. I would just pull it till NG finds a fix. This sucks i hate running older firmware when security fixes are involved. NG strikes again. UHGGG.

1.0.2.54SF results over 5GHz band:

Code:
Packets: sent=500, rcvd=500, error=0, lost=0 (0.0% loss) in 99.815884 sec
RTTs in ms: min/avg/max/dev: 8.578 / 14.555 / 40.394 / 3.150
Bandwidth in kbytes/sec: sent=0.300, rcvd=0.300

Voxel's 1.0.2.54SF is free from this ping and latency issue (as it should be).

Only for 2.4GHz at this time since my 5GHz client is Windows just to make things more difficult. This test is for 1000 pings at one ping per second which is more than 15 minutes. The results are very consistent for each firmware version. I will try a longer test with the 1.0.2.59SF firmware to see if there is a pattern for the time between high latency/lost packets.

1.0.2.54SF
# of pings < 10ms: 984 | 98.4%
# of pings < 20ms: 14 | 1.4%
# of pings < 30ms: 1 | 0.1%
# of pings < 50ms: 1 | 0.1%

1.0.2.59SF
# of pings < 10ms: 977 | 97.8%
# of pings < 20ms: 9 | 0.9%
# of pings < 30ms: 5 | 0.5%
# of pings < 1000ms: 6 | 0.6%
# of pings < 2000ms: 1 | 0.1%
# of pings < 5000ms: 1 | 0.1%
# of pings lost: 1 | 0.1%

Attachments

• 1.0.2.54SF.png
    1.0.2.54SF.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 595
  • 1.0.2.59SF.png
    1.0.2.59SF.png
    128.1 KB · Views: 565
Ran a longer test was for 5000 pings. Surprised more pings were not lost. Still not a very good result.

1.0.2.59SF
# of pings < 10ms: 4658 | 93.2%
# of pings < 20ms: 182 | 3.6%
# of pings < 30ms: 43 | 0.9%
# of pings < 40ms: 15 | 0.3%
# of pings < 50ms: 13 | 0.3%
# of pings < 60ms: 7 | 0.1%
# of pings < 70ms: 3 | 0.1%
# of pings < 80ms: 10 | 0.2%
# of pings < 90ms: 5 | 0.1%
# of pings < 100ms: 2 | 0.0%
# of pings < 1000ms: 48 | 0.1%
# of pings < 2000ms: 9 | 0.2%
# of pings < 3000ms: 2 | 0.0%
# of pings lost: 3 | 0.1%

Attachments

• 1.0.2.59SF_extended.png
    1.0.2.59SF_extended.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 497
New here, and JUST bought a R7800. Took it out of the box this morning, plan to hook it up tonight.

Want to install voxel from the start, but based on the ping times and lantency seems like 59 is not the best candidate.

What's the best version to use at this time? Stability is more of a concern than speed for me, am considering 54sf, looks that's what most people are rolling back to.

Also wanted to say thanks to Voxel for making this available.
I'm coming from an Asus 68u, and was a little worried about the stock NG firmware, but I think the Voxel firmware will handle what I need/want for a openvpn server.

Randy

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!