What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.59SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What's the best version to use at this time? Stability is more of a concern than speed for me, am considering 54sf, looks that's what most people are rolling back to.
The R7800 is very good with 1.0.2.54SF. I don't use OpenVPN, but I believe Voxel has put effort into making it better with his firmware, so it should be fine.

I rarely use my RT-AC68U any more because the R7800 is so much better.

The R7800 is very good with 1.0.2.54SF. I don't use OpenVPN, but I believe Voxel has put effort into making it better with his firmware, so it should be fine.

I rarely use my RT-AC68U any more because the R7800 is so much better.

Thanks for the reply.

The boss told me last week to replace our 68U because it was dropping her wifi calls (we don't have cell coverage at home). I was going to get an 86U at first, but decided I should try something other then Asus, and hope it does better with wifi calls.

86U woulda been a good choice too. The R7800 and the 86U very close. Put RMerlin's FW on the 86U and away we go.....

Well guys, thanks for your testing. Seems latest stock 1.0.2.58 is problematic (Wi-Fi). So most probably it has sense to revert back the Wi-Fi part to 1.0.2.52. I mean in the next release of my build. So my internal release 1.0.2.55SF was better ;-)

Voxel.

I went back to 54SF a week ago as I seemed to have an issue where devices would just drop off WiFi (5Ghz). All the fixes, voxel had pretty much done anyway :cool:

You know, I went back to 53SF-KF since I had settings for it. Ran a ping test there on a wired desktop, and there were occasional timeouts for pings. Not long ping times, all the pings that worked were < 1ms., but full timeouts. Never had those on firmware that appeared to be working that well before. Didn't have a problem with 53SF-KF functionally, so didn't test it since it was working well. So this doesn't appear to be a new problem, at least not at my house *smile*. It also isn't a problem that bothered me while I was using the firmware.

"55SF was not published by me."

Okay but that still leaves the question which version are we going back to?

1.0.2.54SF

As I stated in a previous post, 54SF does not have the problem, so it is a reasonable version to run until Voxel builds a new release using the WiFi bits from stock 1.0.2.52.

I update to 1.0.2.59F, set default, however 5Gwifi signal drop 2times in 15mins on playing game. May be i can only try next version.

I used the openvpn server function today, using openvpn connect from an iphone and android phone, and both worked with no problems.
Really quite easy, hardest part was setting up ddns on the router and them making a noip account, but that was simple enough too.

I pretty much just setup ddns, enabled openvpn on the router, copied the smartphone.ovpn file to my phones, opened them with openvpn connect and it connected.

Only issue is I think the connection is slower than it was with my asus 68u, and I can't view my cameras. I need to play with this more, hopefully can get it working.

Well my cam PC was crashed, so that's why I couldn't see my cams lol.

Fixed the PC, and everything is working great now.

Added a OpenVPN page to my instructions for the 7800 also, but its pretty straightforward, at least I thought so.
Asus had a lot more steps, but that's because its more flexible.

The 7800 with 54sf looks like a keeper

Randy

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!