What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.61SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I found the issue.
After input all my settings manually again it stopped working one more time, so I started to investigate the offending setting.
It stops to work after I set my DMZ server. So if no DMZ is set it works both TAP and TUN but when I set the DMZ, TUN stops working and only TAP works.

I found the issue.
After input all my settings manually again it stopped working one more time, so I started to investigate the offending setting.
It stops to work after I set my DMZ server. So if no DMZ is set it works both TAP and TUN but when I set the DMZ, TUN stops working and only TAP works.
Two questions @olavocastro:
Have you got msm_nand_erase: erase failed messages after mtd erase netgear command?
Do you have Guest WLAN configured?

Question to Voxel, I applied Kamoji's add-on tools. If I upgrade to 61, will I have to re-apply those add-ons or will they persist after the upgrade?
Thank you.

Question to Voxel, I applied Kamoji's add-on tools. If I upgrade to 61, will I have to re-apply those add-ons or will they persist after the upgrade?
Thank you.
You have to install it again. (A new version with Stubby info is pending)
/Kamoj ;-)

Thank you Kamoj. I saved your information and links. Not that hard to re-install. Good tools BTW. Thank you.

I've been running 61SF with stubby ON since it came out; I was running 60SF without stubby before that. Since yesterday, I've had both wireless radios cut out suddenly, and the router become unreachable through a wired connection. I've done a factory reset and reloaded my settings from backup (stubby still ON), and am keeping close watch. If the same thing happens, I'll turn stubby OFF and see if that makes a difference... I'm not saying stubby's the problem-- just being methodical here...

Update: After 45 minutes, the router became unresponsive again. Turned stubby OFF and rebooted...

Last edited:
Keep us posted on this.

I've been running 61SF with stubby OFF for several hours now, and my wired/wireless connections have been stable. Perhaps not coincidentally, I noticed in my logs that I've been under DoS attack (ACK Scan, TCP/UDP Echo, TCP/UDP Chargen, Ascend Kill, SYN/ACK Scan), and "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection" was selected (i.e. unprotected). Shortly after I turned stubby OFF, I turned protection back ON, and disabled respond-to-ping as well. I don't know if I was being attacked yesterday when my problems started, but if the attacks are the real culprit, it's disconcerting that the router could be made unresponsive like that, though also encouraging that it comes with the means to turn such attacks away.

Assuming I don't experience any more lockups, I'll turn stubby back ON tomorrow and see what happens...

Might check to see if same behavior is present on prior version, 60SF for 59SF...

I've been running 61SF with stubby OFF for several hours now, and my wired/wireless connections have been stable. Perhaps not coincidentally, I noticed in my logs that I've been under DoS attack (ACK Scan, TCP/UDP Echo, TCP/UDP Chargen, Ascend Kill, SYN/ACK Scan), and "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection" was selected (i.e. unprotected). Shortly after I turned stubby OFF, I turned protection back ON, and disabled respond-to-ping as well. I don't know if I was being attacked yesterday when my problems started, but if the attacks are the real culprit, it's disconcerting that the router could be made unresponsive like that, though also encouraging that it comes with the means to turn such attacks away.

Assuming I don't experience any more lockups, I'll turn stubby back ON tomorrow and see what happens...

Total noob here, was able to flash my R7800 to the latest Voxel FW (thank you soooo much!!), but having a hard time following the instructions in the readme to setup the ssh access & entware...any help is greatly appreciated!

I've been running 61SF with stubby ON since it came out; I was running 60SF without stubby before that. Since yesterday, I've had both wireless radios cut out suddenly, and the router become unreachable through a wired connection. I've done a factory reset and reloaded my settings from backup (stubby still ON), and am keeping close watch. If the same thing happens, I'll turn stubby OFF and see if that makes a difference... I'm not saying stubby's the problem-- just being methodical here...

Update: After 45 minutes, the router became unresponsive again. Turned stubby OFF and rebooted...

Stubby. For me it is stable:

Code:
root@r7800:~$ uptime
 20:11:07 up 9 days,  4:52, load average: 3.99, 4.01, 4.02
root@r7800:~$ ps ax | grep stubby
 4372 ?        S     12:42 /usr/sbin/stubby -C /etc/stubby/stubby.yml -v 5 -g

Default settings for stubby (Cloudflare).

Shortly after I turned stubby OFF, I turned protection back ON, and disabled respond-to-ping as well.
I do not quite understand why you do not disable respond to ping and protection ON with stubby ON.

Voxel.

Last edited:
having a hard time following the instructions in the readme to setup the ssh access & entware...any help is greatly appreciated!
Advice: try to follow "Appendix A" in README. Just step-by-step. And FYI, README was changed a bit yesterday. Regarding command for creation of ext4. Maybe it has a sense to download it again.

Voxel.

I'll turn stubby back ON tomorrow and see what happens...
and try to check after some time /var/log/stubby.log. It is short for my R9000 and much bigger for R7800 (different ISPs). Maybe default Cloudflare is not so good for your location.

Voxel.

I do not quite understand why you do not disable respond to ping and protection ON with stubby ON.

Voxel.

Re: ping response, that was an oversight. As for DoS protection, I had been running some software before that didn't like that feature enabled. I can't for the life of me remember now what it was, but I'm pretty sure I'm no longer running it :)

Can I just check something as I've not had time to test Stubby yet...

I have respond to ping switched on. I use it for a Broadband Quality monitor, which essentially pings my router and plots the responses onto a nice graph for me. It's useful and sometimes essential for me to establish network issues.

If I turn on Stubby and have this switched on, would this be an issue?

P.s. here's an image for anyone interested on what I mean

2c48431f59d6c4d186747026ec7548d769bfadcf-26-10-2018.png

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!