What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.61SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hopefully he can review it and check on it.

So where do we go from here. Netgear .58 and .60 is no good. Voxel's 61SF is based on Netgear .52/.58 merged together so the wifi is stable. There are security issues in anything Netgear earlier then .58 > https://kb.netgear.com/000060225/Se...-Stack-Overflow-on-Some-Routers-PSV-2017-3165

So whats next. The GPL for NG .60 is useless and not even released last i checked. Damn i want a secure router that works not playing games with firmware i am to busy with life for that. I tried to go back to my Asus AC3100 but the 5 ghz signal is so much lower then the R7800 i really cant use it. :eek:o_O

Why not use the 3100 as a router and the use the R7800 as an AP while we all wait for corrections to FW to be made? o_O

So where do we go from here. Netgear .58 and .60 is no good. Voxel's 61SF is based on Netgear .52/.58 merged together so the wifi is stable. There are security issues in anything Netgear earlier then .58 > https://kb.netgear.com/000060225/Se...-Stack-Overflow-on-Some-Routers-PSV-2017-3165

So whats next. The GPL for NG .60 is useless and not even released last i checked. Damn i want a secure router that works not playing games with firmware i am to busy with life for that. I tried to go back to my Asus AC3100 but the 5 ghz signal is so much lower then the R7800 i really cant use it. :eek:o_O

Just follow some common sense rules for any router such as:

Avoid its control by GUI from Internet (WAN).
Do not use UPnP.
Do not open port if you really do not need it.

There is no detailed description of this PSV-2017-3165 but:

1. It is not CVE (Associated CVE IDs: None).
2. It is rather related to NG's net-cgi processor and I use net-cgi from .58 in .61SF.
3. It is rather could be dangerous if e.g. you have young school age hacker in your family who wants to disable such stuff as Parental Control or so accessing the router from your LAN ;-) (if you do not allow to control your router externally from Internet).

Voxel.

Having all sorts of issues now with the stock .60 FW for Netgear R7800, and really want to go to Voxel's 61, but I need to know how can I get my AT&T wifi calling to work with that version. With the stock .60 I don't have to do anything for it to work, so not sure what do I need to do in Voxel's. Thanks guys for your help!

Having all sorts of issues now with the stock .60 FW for Netgear R7800, and really want to go to Voxel's 61, but I need to know how can I get my AT&T wifi calling to work with that version. With the stock .60 I don't have to do anything for it to work, so not sure what do I need to do in Voxel's. Thanks guys for your help!

If AT&T's wifi calling feature is anything like T-Mobile's, you ought to be good with 61SF -- I haven't had any issues with the latter...

You should be able to use wifi calling on Voxel FW. All you need to do is to download 61SF and apply it. Then see if wifi calling is having any problems. If you are encountering problems after loading Voxels FW, you might want to start with a factory reset and then setup from scratch.
Try with Smart Connect enabled or disabled for troubleshooting steps.

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem your R7800 is connected too?

You should be able to use wifi calling on Voxel FW. All you need to do is to download 61SF and apply it. Then see if wifi calling is having any problems. If you are encountering problems after loading Voxels FW, you might want to start with a factory reset and then setup from scratch.
Try with Smart Connect enabled or disabled for troubleshooting steps.

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem your R7800 is connected too?
Modem is Sagemcom F@st3686 v2.2, ISP is Claro (Telmex Colombia). I will give it a whirl again tonight, after the kiddos have stopped streaming.

Ok flashed the router with .61, and got wifi calling to work now. Thanks everyone for the great help! Now if I could just get the readme translated to "dummy who barely knows linux" that would be awesomer!

Dumb, dumb question....so I somehow managed to get SSH working and I'm in the process of getting Entware installed, as per Voxel's readme; do we need to keep the separate USB drives plugged into the router all the time? can we put everything in 1? can I copy from the USB drives to the router? your recommendations/help is greatly appreciated!

Dumb, dumb question....so I somehow managed to get SSH working and I'm in the process of getting Entware installed, as per Voxel's readme; do we need to keep the separate USB drives plugged into the router all the time? can we put everything in 1? can I copy from the USB drives to the router? your recommendations/help is greatly appreciated!
@Rafael,

What do you need Entware for? I've also started with installation of Entware only to realize everything I need can be done without it.

@Rafael,

What do you need Entware for? I've also started with installation of Entware only to realize everything I need can be done without it.
always nice to have a package manager to add/update stuff; no need for more USB drives or a linux box or anything

The Netgear QoS limits are not really limiting the download and specially upload speed and my bufferbloat numbers are going up to hill ( B or even C). Is it possible to look at that issue.

Sorry to bring this question again but I am new here and not really familiar with cron commands and googling around but still need some help to setup my r7800 weekly reset.

The Netgear QoS limits are not really limiting the download and specially upload speed and my bufferbloat numbers are going up to hill ( B or even C). Is it possible to look at that issue.

Sorry to bring this question again but I am new here and not really familiar with cron commands and googling around but still need some help to setup my r7800 weekly reset.

I needed scheduled reboots as well, and @kamoj helped me out with some cron commands.

Check this thread:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...ther-log-related-questions.49535/#post-441290

Thank you, i know this thread but not sure how to do it ( :mad: ) and looking for weekly restart.

$ crond -c /opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs
crond: chdir(/opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs): No such file or directory

$ crond -c /opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs
crond: chdir(/opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs): No such file or directory
Don't start the command with 'crond'.

Copy paste this whole command, it's not separate lines.

echo 'mkdir -p /opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs && echo "0 4 * * 1 reboot" >/opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs/root && crond -c /opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs' >/etc/rc.local

Sorry for my ignorance and stupidity.
I did and its fine
echo 'mkdir -p /opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs && echo "0 5 * * 5 reboot" >/opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs/root && crond -c /opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs' >/etc/rc.local

but what about next two lines in ur link:
echo 'exit 0' >>/etc/rc.local
crond -c /opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs

You are not running Voxel FW????
This thread is for Voxel FW.
(crond -c /opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs is only to make you not have to reboot to get cron working)

Sorry for my ignorance and stupidity.
I did and its fine
echo 'mkdir -p /opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs && echo "0 5 * * 5 reboot" >/opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs/root && crond -c /opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs' >/etc/rc.local

but what about next two lines in ur link:
echo 'exit 0' >>/etc/rc.local
crond -c /opt/tmp/mycron/crontabs

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!