What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.63SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-62sf.50417/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.63SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.62SF):

1. Integration of changes from the stock v. 1.0.2.62 including:
  • a login password enhancement in the router web interface to support a more secure password (no saving passwords in NVRAM in the plain text form).
  • fixing the issue where the speed test in the QoS page always displays a zero number.
  • 22 QoS packages are changed to provide synchronization with a latest version (so even if your QoS page displays "Release Date: October 23, 2017": de facto there are a lot of changes in the QoS internals).
2. dropbear: security issue CVE-2018-15599 is fixed, see:
for details.
3. curl package is upgraded 7.62.0->7.63.0.
4. dbus package is upgraded 1.12.10->1.12.12.
5. e2fsprogs package is upgraded 1.44.4->1.44.5.
6. jansson package is upgraded 2.11->2.12.
7. libgpg-error package is upgraded 1.32->1.34.
8. libxml2 package is upgraded 2.9.8->2.9.9.
9. sqlite package is upgraded 3250300->3260000.
10. wget package is upgraded 1.20->1.20.1.
11. dnsmasq: synchronization of codes with stock 1.0.2.62 (R9000 codes were used in my previous version).
12. OpenSSL: old libraries 0.9.8 are added to fix NG bug (/bin/fbwifi).
13. NG Downloader: ftp/http downloading issue is fixed.
14. NG bugs corrections fixed in my previous versions are included.
15. NG version of OpenVPN client is removed (conflicting with my version of OpenVPN client).
16. Funjsq service is removed:
Guys from China: I am really sorry, please use a stock version if you need exactly this version of OpenVPN client, my knowledge of Chinese is close to zero to understand this service description/features from this: https://www.funjsq.com/
17. Toolchain: gdb is upgraded to 8.2.1.
18. Host tools: two components are upgraded.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Thanks to percy3 for his help with testing.

P.S.

There are several opinions found by me in Internet that Voxel’s FW is just a stock firmware with a bit more attractive icons. I cannot provide full statistics but FYI: stock firmware is using third party GPL packages, about 143 of them are used in my version. And about 105 of them are upgraded/changed/added/bugfixed. So I think that at least 73 per cents of firmware internals is different. This is w/o accounting specific changes such as different toolchain/host-tools or optimized for IPQ806x compiler options, -O2, boosting OpenSSL etc. Just FYI. My version is my vision re: what I’d like to have from a stock firmware.

P.P.S.

Especial thanks to NETGEAR Guy for his help of getting GPL sources from NG engineering team. I really think that NG should appreciate this Gentleman and encourage him.

Also a lot of thanks to kamoj who provides significant support of my fw users.

Voxel.

Last edited:
Continuation of
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-62sf.50417/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.63SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.62SF):

1. Integration of changes from the stock v. 1.0.2.62 including:
  • a login password enhancement in the router web interface to support a more secure password (no saving passwords in NVRAM in the plain text form).
  • fixing the issue where the speed test in the QoS page always displays a zero number.
  • 22 QoS packages are changed to provide synchronization with a latest version (so even if your QoS page displays "Release Date: October 23, 2017": de facto there are a lot of changes in the QoS internals).
2. dropbear: security issue CVE-2018-15599 is fixed, see:
for details.
3. curl package is upgraded 7.62.0->7.63.0.
4. dbus package is upgraded 1.12.10->1.12.12.
5. e2fsprogs package is upgraded 1.44.4->1.44.5.
6. jansson package is upgraded 2.11->2.12.
7. libgpg-error package is upgraded 1.32->1.34.
8. libxml2 package is upgraded 2.9.8->2.9.9.
9. sqlite package is upgraded 3250300->3260000.
10. wget package is upgraded 1.20->1.20.1.
11. dnsmasq: synchronization of codes with stock 1.0.2.62 (R9000 codes were used in my previous version).
12. OpenSSL: old libraries 0.9.8 are added to fix NG bug (/bin/fbwifi).
13. NG Downloader: ftp/http downloading issue is fixed.
14. NG bugs corrections fixed in my previous versions are included.
15. NG version of OpenVPN client is removed (conflicting with my version of OpenVPN client).
16. Funjsq service is removed:
Guys from China: I am really sorry, please use a stock version if you need exactly this version of OpenVPN client, my knowledge of Chinese is close to zero to understand this service description/features from this: https://www.funjsq.com/
17. Toolchain: gdb is upgraded to 8.2.1.
18. Host tools: two components are upgraded.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Thanks to percy3 for his help with testing.

P.S.

There are several opinions found by me in Internet that Voxel’s FW is just a stock firmware with a bit more attractive icons. I cannot provide full statistics but FYI: stock firmware is using third party GPL packages, about 143 of them are used in my version. And about 105 of them are upgraded/changed/added/bugfixed. So I think that at least 73 per cents of firmware internals is different. This is w/o accounting specific changes such as different toolchain/host-tools or optimized for IPQ806x compiler options, -O2, boosting OpenSSL etc. Just FYI. My version is my vision re: what I’d like to have from a stock firmware.

Voxel.
What about the DNS issues people are reporting with Stock .62 regarding the use of an internal IP address for DNS?

Props to Voxel. You know what Voxel if ppl dont appreciate your hard work that you put into the firmware, they dont have to use it. Personally my smb speeds are almost twice as fast as stock. Maybe ng should toss their team and bring you on imho. Thanks again

@Voxel Just updated to R7800 v. 1.0.2.63SF. Thank you for your great work! Nice to see NG is cooperating with you. After all, it's in their own best interests.

Downloaded and installed. Works without problems. Most stable firmware I have ever had on a Netgear product. Thank you @Voxel!

Thanks!

Anything I should look out for updating from V1.0.2.50SF? Just backup my settings beforehand? First time updating.

Just upgraded from v61. SSH was working prior, now no luck. Getting no supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey)

Thanks Voxel new .63SF working excellent om my 7800. :) Your time and effort are appreciated !!!

Thanks bro!!!
Works like a charm and all the wifi drop issues seems to have been fixed. 5GHZ band signal strength is much better now.

I have a weird issue with Voxel firmware, my connection is 800/200, speedtest by Ookla can get full speed, but whenever I run DSL Report speed test, I can only get 440mbps in download and 200 for upload. I’ve no problem to get full speed of 800/200 with stock firmware, tried many version including this latest firmware, result was same. My location is Malaysia and DSL Report server located at Singapore. I don't use QoS and others special settings, just setup the internet and wireless and no more

I have a weird issue with Voxel firmware, my connection is 800/200, speedtest by Ookla can get full speed, but whenever I run DSL Report speed test, I can only get 440mbps in download and 200 for upload. I’ve no problem to get full speed of 800/200 with stock firmware, tried many version including this latest firmware, result was same. My location is Malaysia and DSL Report server located at Singapore. I don't use QoS and others special settings, just setup the internet and wireless and no more

So if you are optimist you should suppose that OOKLA is right and DSL Reports is wrong and everything is OK. If you are pessimist you should suppose that OOKLA is wrong and DSL Reports is right and everything is bad ;-)

Logically: obviously one of these services shows you wrong results. Too many factors. These services including OOKLA are not precise tools for measurement. I have 200/200 speed (ISP) and e.g. OOKLA client executed on Debian server inside my LAN shows me 200 dl and 400 ul… I should be happy, right? But it is just wrong result.

If you need real speed measurement you should organize intermediate server/router connected to WAN and running iperf/iperf3 when other server connected to LAN or even R7800 itself with the same iperf/iperf3 will test your real speed. Or (minimum) try to download something huge by bittorent client or at least by ftp/http from your computer connected to router.

Voxel.

What about the DNS issues people are reporting with Stock .62 regarding the use of an internal IP address for DNS?
Sorry I am not aware of this issue in the stock fw. Did not test this especially.

Voxel.

Thanks!

Anything I should look out for updating from V1.0.2.50SF? Just backup my settings beforehand? First time updating.
Backup your settings and if you have something specific like SSH keys or opened ports (/etc/netwall.conf) you should store them if you did not do so before. Try to use search, there were some messages re: how to backup specific files and restore it after flashing with my fw. Text to search "tar cf /mnt" something like this.

Voxel.

Just upgraded from v61. SSH was working prior, now no luck. Getting no supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey)
SSH is working. But see above: if you did not store your keys/authorized_keys etc. you have to setup this anew.

Voxel.

So if you are optimist you should suppose that OOKLA is right and DSL Reports is wrong and everything is OK. If you are pessimist you should suppose that OOKLA is wrong and DSL Reports is right and everything is bad ;-)

Logically: obviously one of these services shows you wrong results. Too many factors. These services including OOKLA are not precise tools for measurement. I have 200/200 speed (ISP) and e.g. OOKLA client executed on Debian server inside my LAN shows me 200 dl and 400 ul… I should be happy, right? But it is just wrong result.

If you need real speed measurement you should organize intermediate server/router connected to WAN and running iperf/iperf3 when other server connected to LAN or even R7800 itself with the same iperf/iperf3 will test your real speed. Or (minimum) try to download something huge by bittorent client or at least by ftp/http from your computer connected to router.

Voxel.
But the weird things is if I use stock firmware, I get full speed in DSL Report speedtest, if Voxel firmware, download speed limited to half of it, no matter what version of Voxel

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!