What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.65SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have the same lost password problem during 64sf to 65sf upgrade as it was before with 63sf to 64sf upgrade on 3 r7800 routers.
So i have to reset it and restore the configuration every single time after upgrade. Its very annoying specially for remote AP routers

I have the same lost password problem during 64sf to 65sf upgrade as it was before with 63sf to 64sf upgrade on 3 r7800 routers.
So i have to reset it and restore the configuration every single time after upgrade. Its very annoying specially for remote AP routers
I have two R7800. First is in router mode, second in AP mode. They keep their settings 64SF->65-SF. They ask for a password when upgrading from 63SF to 64SF or 63SF to 65SF because of changed security enhancement in the stock firmware (include into my build since 64SF). But after this settings should be kept...

Voxel.

Thank you. I know that new security was the reason for lost password in 63sf to 64sf upgrade. But why it happens in the following next upgrade from 64sf to 65sf ?

Thank you. I know that new security was the reason for lost password in 63sf to 64sf upgrade. But why it happens in the following next upgrade from 64sf to 65sf ?
As far as I remember it (GUI) asked me every time these control questions and passwords until I marked checkbox something like "Do not ask me again".

You can check your password in telnet running the command:

nvram show | grep http_passwd

if you see something like

http_passwd=E19AC60CC4BBDE6805EF8356FEB40A8F4816FAD27134A96719C20138C09932BF

it means that nvram keeps you password as a hash and it should not ask you again after flashing new version. If you see you password as a plain text - it means that something is wrong.

Voxel.

As far as I remember it (GUI) asked me every time these control questions and passwords until I marked checkbox something like "Do not ask me again".

You can check your password in telnet running the command:

nvram show | grep http_passwd

if you see something like

http_passwd=E19AC60CC4BBDE6805EF8356FEB40A8F4816FAD27134A96719C20138C09932BF

it means that nvram keeps you password as a hash and it should not ask you again after flashing new version. If you see you password as a plain text - it means that something is wrong.

Voxel.

I checked the password with telnet and it was a correct format. I upload the 65sf again and got a message : "Access to this resource is denied, your client has not supplied the correct authentication.4h:
i did factory reset and reenter the password and security questions and select : "Never remind again" as was advised by you. And it works finally fine with password after follow up firmware upload. Thank you very much for the tip.
I will do the same for other routers on next update but what can be the reason?
Also, do you have any idea how to integrate auto reset in you build? Otherwise i have to do it manually every time after upgrade

Hi @Voxel,

As always, thank you for your updates.

Unfortunately I made this update and I'm using the FTP protocope to share my HDD with Kodi... My question is simple, do you know when will you release a new update to fix this bug? With Game of Thrones, One Piece and other series, too bad that I can't use Kodi. :(

You can patch this yourself. Just log in with telnet and issue this command:
Code:
sed -i -e '101 { /1)/s/;;//g }' /sbin/cmdftp

Hi @VoxelUnfortunately I made this update and I'm using the FTP protocope to share my HDD with Kodi... My question is simple, do you know when will you release a new update to fix this bug? :(

Thank you Percy3 ! I did mtd erase netgear and flashed stock 10.2.46 via TFTP, then factory reset via GUI. Now everything is working flawlessly, my router is back to its original state before flashing voxel's FW. 5Ghz works with no issues and I have not reboot my router in 3 days and not once has my wifi connection on both 2.4 and 5Ghz drop. I am very happy, thank you again.
A followup on my experiments, I updated from stock 1.2.46 to .65SF and got my 5Ghz wifi issues back. All my devices can see my 5Ghz ssid but cannot connect to it, my desktop PC with windows 10 just tells me the password I entered is wrong but I know its correct and all my other devices just report unable to connect. On the other hand devices can connect to my 2.4Ghz fine but have disconnection issues.

I again TFPT'ed the stock 1.2.46 FW and everything was back to normal, I let it sit for a day over the weekend monitoring and it worked flawlessly, I took a chance and updated to .64SF and it was solid almost like the stock FW with 2-3 disconnects a day.

Last night I updated from .64SF to .65SF and my troubles began again my 5Ghz broke completely ssid works but will not connect. I really want to update to Voxel's latest FW but something in .65SF is causing my 5Ghz to break.

Just to be clear I did mtd erase netgear between all updates and factory reset the router through the GUI and set it up as new but with same ssids and passwords as I had before.
So to summarize:
Stock 1.2.46 -> Works awesome
Stock 1.2.46 to .64SF - > Works with 2-3 disconnects a day
Stock 1.2.46 to .65SF -> Breaks my Wifi 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz
Voxels .64SF to .65SF -> Breaks my Wifi 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz

Any thoughts?

Hi @Voxel,

As always, thank you for your updates.

Unfortunately I made this update and I'm using the FTP protocope to share my HDD with Kodi... My question is simple, do you know when will you release a new update to fix this bug? With Game of Thrones, One Piece and other series, too bad that I can't use Kodi. :(

Yes there is a typo bug (FTP):

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...r-r7800-v-1-0-2-65sf.55917/page-2#post-479514

kamoj post is how to correct it easily from telnet. It will be fixed in the next release.

Voxel.

A followup on my experiments, I updated from stock 1.2.46 to .65SF and got my 5Ghz wifi issues back. All my devices can see my 5Ghz ssid but cannot connect to it, my desktop PC with windows 10 just tells me the password I entered is wrong but I know its correct and all my other devices just report unable to connect. On the other hand devices can connect to my 2.4Ghz fine but have disconnection issues.

I again TFPT'ed the stock 1.2.46 FW and everything was back to normal, I let it sit for a day over the weekend monitoring and it worked flawlessly, I took a chance and updated to .64SF and it was solid almost like the stock FW with 2-3 disconnects a day.

Last night I updated from .64SF to .65SF and my troubles began again my 5Ghz broke completely ssid works but will not connect. I really want to update to Voxel's latest FW but something in .65SF is causing my 5Ghz to break.

Just to be clear I did mtd erase netgear between all updates and factory reset the router through the GUI and set it up as new but with same ssids and passwords as I had before.
So to summarize:
Stock 1.2.46 -> Works awesome
Stock 1.2.46 to .64SF - > Works with 2-3 disconnects a day
Stock 1.2.46 to .65SF -> Breaks my Wifi 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz
Voxels .64SF to .65SF -> Breaks my Wifi 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz

Any thoughts?

I have no ideas. 1.0.2.46 is release more than year ago. There are differences in Wi-Fi drivers (QCA firmware). Enclosed part of codes. But no differences in QCA drivers 64SF vs 65SF. Identical. And should be the same for you if you would use e.g. stock 1.0.2.62.

But nobody yet alarmed such signal. How do you detect this problem? From GUI: Show statistic? Mine displays no disconnects...

Voxel.

will do the same for other routers on next update but what can be the reason?

Really cannot say. In general it is hidden in net-cgi i.e. in binary package from NG's GPL. I.e. I do not have codes of this.

Voxel.

Also, do you have any idea how to integrate auto reset in you build? Otherwise i have to do it manually every time after upgrade

If it is really needed I inform in my post. But auto reset... I do not think it is good. Many people would be shocked. Would be unpleasant feature...

Voxel.

I have no ideas. 1.0.2.46 is release more than year ago. There are differences in Wi-Fi drivers (QCA firmware). Enclosed part of codes. But no differences in QCA drivers 64SF vs 65SF. Identical. And should be the same for you if you would use e.g. stock 1.0.2.62.

But nobody yet alarmed such signal. How do you detect this problem? From GUI: Show statistic? Mine displays no disconnects...

Voxel.
Thank you for your excellent work. I love your FW as it boosted my download through put and lowered my ping time. Sadly the .65SF breaks my 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz Wifi, my devices can connect to the 2.4Ghz but the connection drops are very frequent like 15-20 times times in 5 mins I can see my windows desktop constantly dropping the 2.4Ghz connection and trying to reconnect, in my router I can see the connected devices disappearing from the "connected devices list", 5Ghz is a different story no matter if the connection is open or not my devices will not connect to it, my desktop and laptop say the password I entered is incorrect if the ssid is protected.

Even if I have smart connect enabled all of my 5Ghz capable devices are alloated the 2.4Ghz band even though they are literally next to the router like for example my 2016 LG Oled TV.

Thank you for your excellent work. I love your FW as it boosted my download through put and lowered my ping time. Sadly the .65SF breaks my 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz Wifi, my devices can connect to the 2.4Ghz but the connection drops are very frequent like 15-20 times times in 5 mins I can see my windows desktop constantly dropping the 2.4Ghz connection and trying to reconnect, in my router I can see the connected devices disappearing from the "connected devices list", 5Ghz is a different story no matter if the connection is open or not my devices will not connect to it, my desktop and laptop say the password I entered is incorrect if the ssid is protected.

Even if I have smart connect enabled all of my 5Ghz capable devices are alloated the 2.4Ghz band even though they are literally next to the router like for example my 2016 LG Oled TV.
I would suggest you one more experiment: tftp to 1.0.2.46 (stock), check that it is fine and flash to 1.0.2.62 (stock). Checking just stock.

P.S.
In general when QCA firmware (Wi-Fi drivers) are changed it is recommended to perform reset (factory settings). As a rule. This QCA FW was definitely changes 1.0.2.46 stock vs 1.0.2.62 stock

Voxel.

If it is really needed I inform in my post. But auto reset... I do not think it is good. Many people would be shocked. Would be unpleasant feature...

Voxel.
Its standard option in Asus and DDWRT software.

Its standard option in Asus and DDWRT software.

Asuswrt does not do an auto reset. Do you mean a one-button reset instead?

I checked the password with telnet and it was a correct format. I upload the 65sf again and got a message : "Access to this resource is denied, your client has not supplied the correct authentication.4h:
i did factory reset and reenter the password and security questions and select : "Never remind again" as was advised by you. And it works finally fine with password after follow up firmware upload. Thank you very much for the tip.
I will do the same for other routers on next update but what can be the reason?
What do you mean? Auto reboot is included in stock and Merlin builds for all Asus routers. You can select any day and time.

See the bolded text in your quote above. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!