What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.65SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would suggest you one more experiment: tftp to 1.0.2.46 (stock), check that it is fine and flash to 1.0.2.62 (stock). Checking just stock.

P.S.
In general when QCA firmware (Wi-Fi drivers) are changed it is recommended to perform reset (factory settings). As a rule. This QCA FW was definitely changes 1.0.2.46 stock vs 1.0.2.62 stock

Voxel.
I tftp'ed 1.0.2.46 stock FW and then updated to 1.0.2.62 from the GUI and it behaved just like your .64SF stable for the most part with occasional drop outs in wifi but nothing serious.

I then updated from stock 1.0.2.62 to .65SF and my problems started again I have no idea why my router does not like your .65SF when your .64SF works fine.

For now I think I will just stay on your .64SF until your next release with some major changes.

I've had misc. problems along the way too. There's nothing wrong with staying with the stable version for your system.

We try them. We see if they work for us. If they don't, we go back to a version that does.

2 things i changed that helped me:
1.) i disabled HT160. it caused my connection to drop when downloading with internet download manager. no idea why that was the only program that caused problems with HT160

2.) i changed MTU size from 1500 to 1472. I went from one or two 20 second disconnects per day to none

upload_2019-4-28_22-22-3.png

upload_2019-4-28_22-22-28.png

Atleast 3TB+ wan traffic and 2TB+ lan traffic

One request to @Voxel if possible in debug page an option to send wol magic packet to all wired devices .

Since the arp works but between subnet and limitiation on the isp its hard to make it work.

I must say I have too little knowledge in this topic., but Voxel is busy, so I made a try.

The R7800 doesn't seem to allow broadcast to 255.255.255.255.

When I tried this and received an error:
nc: cannot connect to remote host (255.255.255.255): Network is unreachable

(The 'subxstr' below should be 'substr', but this site don't allow me to post that.)
Code:
mac_address=11:22:33:44:55:66
m=$(echo $mac_address | sed 's/://g')
broadcast=255.255.255.255
port=9
magic_packet="ffffffffffff$m$m$m$m$m$m$m$m$m$m$m$m$m$m$m$m"
magic_packet=$( echo $magic_packet | sed -e 's/../\ &/g' )
echo $magic_packet | awk '{  for (i = 1; i <= NF; i++) {
            s = toupper($i)
            c0 = index("0123456789ABCDEF", subxstr(s, 1, 1)) - 1
            c1 = index("0123456789ABCDEF", subxstr(s, 2, 1)) - 1
            printf("%c", c0*16 + c1); } }' | nc $broadcast $port
nc: cannot connect to remote host (255.255.255.255): Network is unreachable
PS
Static ARP for the R7800 you can be created this way:
Code:
ip neigh replace 192.168.1.123 dev br0 lladdr 10:e3:67:89:12:34 nud permanent

One request to @Voxel if possible in debug page an option to send wol magic packet to all wired devices .

Since the arp works but between subnet and limitiation on the isp its hard to make it work.

I've been on an Asus RT-N66U for many years, and finally just upgraded to an R7800 when Amazon was selling them for $140. First thing I did was to slap on Voxel's latest firmware, i.e. the current *.65SF, which is the topic for this thread. One cool thing the Asus RT-N66U had was the ability to see all client TX/RX rates for those machines that were connected. I can't seem to find anything similar with the R7800 using this .65SF firmware--maybe I am simple missing it? If so, could somebody kindly point me where to find it in the web intergace--thank you!

I've been on an Asus RT-N66U for many years, and finally just upgraded to an R7800 when Amazon was selling them for $140. First thing I did was to slap on Voxel's latest firmware, i.e. the current *.65SF, which is the topic for this thread. One cool thing the Asus RT-N66U had was the ability to see all client TX/RX rates for those machines that were connected. I can't seem to find anything similar with the R7800 using this .65SF firmware--maybe I am simple missing it? If so, could somebody kindly point me where to find it in the web intergace--thank you!

You mean live traffic or just connection rate for each wireless clients. As that is available in the nighthawk app. and for the live traffic the qos on the web gui attached devices will show when the client being wired or wireless does some transfer. It may not be sync in real time but it will catch up with few sec delay.

I was just looking for the link/connection rate for each machine (like 150/300/867 Mbps). This was my lazy man's approach to get a quick, synoptic view of which clients might benefit from an upgraded network card. I have not explored the QOS options yet, but if I can get not only the link/connection rate for each machine there, as well as live traffic (even if it slightly delayed), that will be perfect, and I will explore that option this evening when I return home.

This leads to another question related to QOS because the whole N66U-->R7800 upgrade was partially provoked by rants from my son about horrible lag and ping rates when gaming, and him pointing fingers at heavy Netflix users like his siblings and mom... I have not enabled the QOS capability yet because I saw that the associated database is a bit long-in-tooth, and figured that it might not help because he is playing mostly recent games. But maybe it would anyways--at least by down-prioritizing Netflix traffic? Happy to hear any comments from folks if enabling QOS despite the older database has helped prevent family meltdowns related to gaming ping/lag rates ;)

Ok, so I am looking for a bit of guidance here because things did not go as expected after enabling the QOS option on my R7800 with *.65SF firmware. Here's what happened.

I went into the QOS setup screen, and checked the option to enable it. Meanwhile, the "Automatically update performance optimization database" was automatically checked. So I hit the Apply button, and received a message that Netgear would have to share my router's MAC address with their database supplier... Ummm, ok... Anyway, after doing that, a new option (at least I think it was new...) appeared at the bottom of the screen "Click here to see bandwidth utilization by device and application". That seemed to be the holy grail of data that I was looking for, woo-hoo! But on clicking that link and being shuttled to a new webpage that listed my connected devices, I got a router login prompt like it somehow had forgotten my login credentials, or at least needed them anew. Well, the username and password were already filled in (I had saved them in my browser) so I was expecting to just click ok and proceed. But it turned into an endless loop rerequesting my password as if I had typed it wrong. So I manually typed in my password in case somehow it had been save incorrectly (not likely as it had already let me into the web admin interface, but hey, what the heck). That was to no avail so I exited that browser, started it up again, entered the router admin web interface (with the save login credentials), and went back to the QOS page. The option to enable it was still checked, but on retrying the "Click here to see bandwidth utilization by device and application" option, I went back to the same login prompt loop again.

Hmmm..., I was expecting that by following the "Click here to see bandwidth utilization by device and application" link, I would see link/connections speeds and (near) real-time TX/RX transfer rates for each client. Instead, I am getting a perpetual login prompt loop which claims that my admin credentials seem to be incorrect. Can anybody help with what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

Well, forgot to say: guys thanks for your "likes": it is important for me, for kamoj, for vladlenas, for W1lliam, percy3. To realize that efforts and time spent are not for nothing .

Voxel.

I honestly just created a SNB account (two seconds ago) so I could like your posts. I've been in your position before (in the Android firmware/recovery/rom area) and I remember how much the feedback from people means. When I saw this post I couldn't believe I had allowed myself to forget that fact. So from all of us "watchers" or what you might call non-commenting downloaders thank you!

I have been using your FW for a while now and it's been extremely solid. Hell, the fact that you were making FW for this router is one of the main reasons I bought it. Keep up the good work. I'm on 64 now and am loading 65 after I post this.

Ok, so I am looking for a bit of guidance here because things did not go as expected after enabling the QOS option on my R7800 with *.65SF firmware. Here's what happened.

I went into the QOS setup screen, and checked the option to enable it. Meanwhile, the "Automatically update performance optimization database" was automatically checked. So I hit the Apply button, and received a message that Netgear would have to share my router's MAC address with their database supplier... Ummm, ok... Anyway, after doing that, a new option (at least I think it was new...) appeared at the bottom of the screen "Click here to see bandwidth utilization by device and application". That seemed to be the holy grail of data that I was looking for, woo-hoo! But on clicking that link and being shuttled to a new webpage that listed my connected devices, I got a router login prompt like it somehow had forgotten my login credentials, or at least needed them anew. Well, the username and password were already filled in (I had saved them in my browser) so I was expecting to just click ok and proceed. But it turned into an endless loop rerequesting my password as if I had typed it wrong. So I manually typed in my password in case somehow it had been save incorrectly (not likely as it had already let me into the web admin interface, but hey, what the heck). That was to no avail so I exited that browser, started it up again, entered the router admin web interface (with the save login credentials), and went back to the QOS page. The option to enable it was still checked, but on retrying the "Click here to see bandwidth utilization by device and application" option, I went back to the same login prompt loop again.

Hmmm..., I was expecting that by following the "Click here to see bandwidth utilization by device and application" link, I would see link/connections speeds and (near) real-time TX/RX transfer rates for each client. Instead, I am getting a perpetual login prompt loop which claims that my admin credentials seem to be incorrect. Can anybody help with what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

I read about someone having this issue on the NG forums.. I forget if they solved it.. The attached devices page
remains one of the most problematic pages on my 7800. I am running .63 Voxel and do not have this issue on the
attached devices page (that QoS takes me to).

I read about someone having this issue on the NG forums.. I forget if they solved it.

Cool, thanks for letting me know. I did some initial searching about the problem on this NG AC subforum, but now I will do a deep search on all of the NG subforums to see if I can find the post you mentioned seeing. In the meantime, I have simply disabled the QOS option because it affected the regular attached devices page even if I went to it directly (i.e. not through the link on the QOS page). I suspect they are the same URL, I just did not look closely. Thanks again for your input!

Cool, thanks for letting me know. I did some initial searching about the problem on this NG AC subforum, but now I will do a deep search on all of the NG subforums to see if I can find the post you mentioned seeing. In the meantime, I have simply disabled the QOS option because it affected the regular attached devices page even if I went to it directly (i.e. not through the link on the QOS page). I suspect they are the same URL, I just did not look closely. Thanks again for your input!
QOS is broken on R7800. It works only on firmware v1.0.2.52. Downgrade to v1.0.2.52 if you want a working QOS otherwise keep it disabled because it doesn't works.

QOS is broken on R7800. It works only on firmware v1.0.2.52. Downgrade to v1.0.2.52 if you want a working QOS otherwise keep it disabled because it doesn't works.
Band limiter is working on .64sf, I don't use the rest.

Dear Voxel,
Loaded the new 65.2SF release

1. My internet speed is 560 mbs and bufferbloat is C on DSL test report with high-res bufferbloat setting but it was always not good because of not properly working Internet bandwidth limitation. Its A or A+ on DDWRT KONG
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/49444627

2. I dont know what i am doing wrong but i always loosing password during last updates even with "newer remind me" option turn on.

What browser are you using? Does this happen with IE11, FF or Opera?

Have you performed a factory reset and setup from scratch after Voxel's FW is loaded then test dslreports?

Dear Voxel,
Loaded the new 65.2SF release

1. My internet speed is 560 mbs and bufferbloat is C on DSL test report with high-res bufferbloat setting but it was always not good because of not properly working Internet bandwidth limitation. Its A or A+ on DDWRT KONG
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/49444627

2. I dont know what i am doing wrong but i always loosing password during last updates even with "newer remind me" option turn on.

Do you mean high bufferbloat or password loss? It happens on all browsers right after firmware upgrade. I did not setup routers from scratch every time just after major update.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!