What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.68SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was thinking that they should at least send you free samples of hardware to help you continue your development.
I've got only single R9000 for my development from NG. And I think it is only because of NETGEAR Guy help who really understands the profits for his Company supporting my project. Thanks to him again for this.

I have two R7800 (my own shopping, my own money ;-). And third R7800 - because of your support, from donations (bought two months ago). Thanks to you guys. Third is rather for safety (to be able to continue the project) because as I see it is problematic to buy R7800 now, at least they are over in my city.

Voxel.

but is there anything us NG owners can do to put some pressure on NG to be more cooperative with you?
I do not believe it. I tried to contact with NG (and even had single contact with QCA department dealing with NG) three years ago. This ended in the middle of nowhere. Even worse:

And when he tried to get in touch with Netgear to get their cooperation, they didn't just ignore him, but they started removing additional components from their GPL releases, making his job next to impossible.

That is exactly so.

Voxel.

hi Voxel
I am a big fan of your custom firmware and it runs very smooth and reliable on my X4S since approx. 1.5 years, well done! Recently I switched to a fiber internet connection and IPTV via multicast. After enabling igmp proxy on the WAN settings of the router my apple tv app (TV7) plays the tv streams. However ,after approx. 1-2 minutes, my whole network is congested and WLAN/WAN not accesible anymore -> must power down router & apple tv. Do you have any idea why this happens? What igmp proxy protocol is supported with your newest firmware 1.0.2.68SF?
Or do you have any hints where to search? (do have ssh access)

My setup:
X4S R7800 (1.0.2.68SF): active 2.4 & 5GHZ WLAN, disabled guest networks, active openvpn and dynamic dns, active ssh login
LAN Port 1 -> Apple TV (newest generation)

hi Voxel
I am a big fan of your custom firmware and it runs very smooth and reliable on my X4S since approx. 1.5 years, well done! Recently I switched to a fiber internet connection and IPTV via multicast. After enabling igmp proxy on the WAN settings of the router my apple tv app (TV7) plays the tv streams. However ,after approx. 1-2 minutes, my whole network is congested and WLAN/WAN not accesible anymore -> must power down router & apple tv. Do you have any idea why this happens? What igmp proxy protocol is supported with your newest firmware 1.0.2.68SF?
Or do you have any hints where to search? (do have ssh access)

My setup:
X4S R7800 (1.0.2.68SF): active 2.4 & 5GHZ WLAN, disabled guest networks, active openvpn and dynamic dns, active ssh login
LAN Port 1 -> Apple TV (newest generation)

I am really sorry but I cannot test this currently. I do not have and do not use IPTV.

igmpproxy package was not touched by me at all. It is the same as in stock firmware. And it is rather old. Modified v. 0.1 beta2.

https://github.com/SVoxel/R7800/tree/master/package/igmpproxy/src

I can only suggest to check this from console (ssh/telnet). Just kill this process, then start it manually from console (cmdigmp start). After this - use your IPTV. Maybe some error message or so...

Other thing. Entware has igmpproxy v. 0.2.1. Maybe it has a sense to check with this version if you will not be able to find the reason.

Voxel.

Hi @Voxel

Just a noob question, actually my version is 1.0.2.66SF, should I upgrade to 1.0.2.68SF or 1.0.2.67SF -> 1.0.2.67.1SF -> 1.0.2.68SF to avoid any issue?

As always, thank you for your firmware. :)

I am really sorry but I cannot test this currently. I do not have and do not use IPTV.

igmpproxy package was not touched by me at all. It is the same as in stock firmware. And it is rather old. Modified v. 0.1 beta2.

https://github.com/SVoxel/R7800/tree/master/package/igmpproxy/src

I can only suggest to check this from console (ssh/telnet). Just kill this process, then start it manually from console (cmdigmp start). After this - use your IPTV. Maybe some error message or so...

Other thing. Entware has igmpproxy v. 0.2.1. Maybe it has a sense to check with this version if you will not be able to find the reason.

Voxel.

So finally had the time to debug...the igmpproxy daemon gets killed, full network is down, however ssh shell on router still works haha. Then after it gets killed I can't restart, because the system already started the binary again...here is the log:

Code:
Debu: About to call timeout 3 (#1)
Debu: Created timeout 4 (#0) - delay 10 secs
Note: RECV V3 member report   from 192.168.1.200   to 224.0.0.22
Info: Updated route entry for 239.77.0.78 on VIF #0
Debu: Vif bits : 0x00000001
Debu: Setting TTL for Vif 0 to 1
Note: Adding MFC: 77.109.129.16 -> 239.77.0.78, InpVIf: 1
Debu:
Current routing table (Insert Route);
-----------------------------------------------------

Debu: #0: Src: 77.109.129.16, Dst: 239.77.0.78, Age:1, St: A, OutVifs: 0x00000001
Debu:

Note: RECV V3 member report   from 192.168.1.200   to 224.0.0.22
Info: Updated route entry for 239.77.0.78 on VIF #0
Debu: Vif bits : 0x00000001
Debu: Setting TTL for Vif 0 to 1
Note: Adding MFC: 77.109.129.16 -> 239.77.0.78, InpVIf: 1
Debu:
Current routing table (Insert Route);

Debu: #0: Src: 77.109.129.16, Dst: 239.77.0.78, Age:1, St: A, OutVifs: 0x00000001
Debu:

Note: RECV V2 member report   from 109.202.200.64  to 239.77.0.78
Note: The IGMP message was from myself. Ignoring.
Note: RECV V3 member report   from 192.168.1.5     to 224.0.0.22
Killed

Killed
root@rout3r:~$ igmpproxy -c /var/igmpproxy.conf -d
igmpproxy, Version 0.1 beta2, Build 090422
Copyright 2005 by Johnny Egeland <johnny@rlo.org>
Modified by Tos Xu for IGMP snooping in April, 2009.
Distributed under the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE, Version 2 - check GPL.txt

Debu: Searching for config file at '/var/igmpproxy.conf'
Debu: Config: Quick leave mode enabled.
Debu: Config: set mode to '2'.
Debu: Config: Got a phyint token.
Debu: Config: IF: Config for interface brwan.
Debu: Config: IF: Got upstream token.
Debu: Config: IF: Got ratelimit token '0'.
Debu: Config: IF: Got threshold token '1'.
Debu: IF name : brwan
Debu: Next ptr : 0
Debu: Ratelimit : 0
Debu: Threshold : 1
Debu: State : 1
Debu: Allowednet ptr : 0
Debu: Config: Got a phyint token.
Debu: Config: IF: Config for interface br0.
Debu: Config: IF: Got downstream token.
Debu: Config: IF: Got ratelimit token '0'.
Debu: Config: IF: Got threshold token '1'.
Debu: IF name : br0
Debu: Next ptr : 0
Debu: Ratelimit : 0
Debu: Threshold : 1
Debu: State : 2
Debu: Allowednet ptr : 0
Debu: Physical Index value of IF 'lo' is 1
Debu: buildIfVc: Interface lo Addr: 127.0.0.1, Flags: 0x0049, Network: 127/8
Debu: Physical Index value of IF 'br0' is 13
Debu: buildIfVc: Interface br0 Addr: 192.168.1.1, Flags: 0x1043, Network: 192.168.1/24
Debu: Physical Index value of IF 'brwan' is 14
Debu: buildIfVc: Interface brwan Addr: 109.202.200.64, Flags: 0x1043, Network: 109.202.200.0/25
Debu: Found config for br0
Debu: Found config for brwan
ERRO: MC-Router API already in use; Errno(98): Address already in use
root@rout3r:~$

any idea what is causing this? sometimes happens directly after iptv start, sometimes after 5min / 10min...really random :(

could you explain me what entware is and how I can use this newer igmpproxy binary? Or is there any other log I could watch when the crash happens? sorry I am not a networking pro :)

UPDATE: did revert to stock 1.0.63 (hotfix), 2x factory reset, now it works...iptv running for 30min without crash, network still usable, running speedtests in parallel. Only downside of course is that I get around 550mbits only with the stock firmware, with yours I got 940mbits haha

Last edited:
I've got only single R9000 for my development from NG. And I think it is only because of NETGEAR Guy help who really understands the profits for his Company supporting my project. Thanks to him again for this.

I have two R7800 (my own shopping, my own money ;-). And third R7800 - because of your support, from donations (bought two months ago). Thanks to you guys. Third is rather for safety (to be able to continue the project) because as I see it is problematic to buy R7800 now, at least they are over in my city.

Voxel.

Hope you get Wi-Fi 6 from Netgear. Does that runs on a cookable firmware. Was all Wi-Fi 6 too early like r7500 was early Ac gets better with 7800 and now best performance of wave 2 router

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

first of all thanks Voxel for this custom Firmware - its the first thing I've downloaded and installed on the router :) - I have version V1.0.2.68SF.
I'm coming from Asus RT-N56U (custom Padawan FW) to R7800 and I'm glad that I can see most of functionalities I was used to (OpenVPN, SSH, Downloader, minidlna).

However I have issue with Multichannel FLAC files over DLNA. This worked just fine with Asus. I was using (and still try to use) BubbleUPNP with local transcoding (if needed) to Chromecast. This worked well with Asus 100%. However with NetGear BubbleUPNP starts loading the file and then just kills the load - nothing happens, and BubbleUPNP is displyed on TV.

Also video files are slow to load on BubbleUPNP (TV works just fine, wired connection, and no transcoding is needed) - this worked normally with Asus.

I'm wondering if someone knows if this has to do with some differences in minidlna implementation, NetGear, Wifi, BubbleUPNP or something else.

Thanks a lot.

Voxel, I just sold my R7800 to a forum member, but I have an R9000 now and am eager to help test. I'll always grab your latest versions and please let me know if you need any other help. I'm a former software developer/programmer and current scrum master, so I understand what to do. o_O

any idea what is causing this? sometimes happens directly after iptv start, sometimes after 5min / 10min...really random :(
Sorry, cannot say. As I said I do not use and I do not have IPTV. Just browsing source codes: one function returns bad value. Why it happens: it is necessary to debug.

could you explain me what entware is and how I can use this newer igmpproxy binary?
What is Entware:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Entware

see "About". And my README (re: HOW to use). But it requires some knowledge of Linux and its command line.

Voxel.

However I have issue with Multichannel FLAC files over DLNA. This worked just fine with Asus. I was using (and still try to use) BubbleUPNP with local transcoding (if needed) to Chromecast. This worked well with Asus 100%. However with NetGear BubbleUPNP starts loading the file and then just kills the load - nothing happens, and BubbleUPNP is displyed on TV.

Also video files are slow to load on BubbleUPNP (TV works just fine, wired connection, and no transcoding is needed) - this worked normally with Asus.
Hi-Fi from Wi-Fi... Interesting.

There are some changes in libflac package and its upgrade (upcoming release):

https://github.com/SVoxel/R7800/commit/6cf40afd5722293d477faa574a429ebf89b10405

Wait for a new release to check your problem.

Voxel.

Voxel, I just sold my R7800 to a forum member, but I have an R9000 now and am eager to help test. I'll always grab your latest versions and please let me know if you need any other help. I'm a former software developer/programmer and current scrum master, so I understand what to do. o_O
Thank you. Appreciated.

Initially:
If you can please try to test/reproduce the problem with IGMP proxy

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...r-r7800-v-1-0-2-68sf.57646/page-3#post-510545

Codes are the same for R9000 and R7800.

Also, probably your help would be needed for kamoj (his upcoming add-on). My R9000 is now in a bit specific configuration (triple NAT).

Voxel.

There are some changes in libflac package and its upgrade (upcoming release):

Hi Voxel, thanks - I've upgraded and unfortunately experience the same issue. Do you think the library is needed? I thought flac is loaded by BubbleUPNP, transcoded and played on Chromecast. For me it appears some network issue, as movies are slow to play also. I might need to enable debugging in Bubble, ReadyDLNA.

Thanks again - if you or someone else have any ideas, do not hesitate to suggest. Might be better to open as new thread :\.

Hi Voxel, thanks - I've upgraded and unfortunately experience the same issue. Do you think the library is needed? I thought flac is loaded by BubbleUPNP, transcoded and played on Chromecast. For me it appears some network issue, as movies are slow to play also. I might need to enable debugging in Bubble, ReadyDLNA.

Thanks again - if you or someone else have any ideas, do not hesitate to suggest. Might be better to open as new thread :\.

Sorry I cannot know everything and I do not know BubbleUPNP.

You have mentioned DLNA: is it minidlna from R7800? If yes - it needs libflac. Otherwise if you are using only UPNP from R7800 - I cannot control miniupnpd from R7800 - it is prebuilt by NG.

Voxel.

Do you know where libflac is(should be) located? I've tried "find / -name libflac" and no results were found.
I'm using minidlna from R7800. I don't think miniupnpd is even running.

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!