What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.74.1SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,
I just installed your firmware R7800 v. 1.0.2.74.1SF and when I try to mount my USB drive on
Linux Mint 19.4 I had to change the vers=3.0 to vers=2.0 in my /etc/fstab in able for it to mount.
Is there and difference in the security supported in the Voxel firmware vice stock?

Thank you

David

Voxel,
I recently bought/upgraded the R7800 and about a month in my wifi connection has been intermittent. Been doing a lot of research on fix actions and many post brought me to your site. I read the README files and I’m no expert in computers or routers so my question can I just flash the firmware and not go through all the USB stick steps. It’s a bit confusing to someone like myself. All that I’m looking for is a possible non intermittent wifi (fix action) better speeds for general surfing, gaming, and streaming. I don’t need all the other gimmicks. Thanks in advanced.

I can answer that then, yes just flash voxel firmware onto the router and use it exactly like you do the stock firmware.... All the USB bits are to add more functions over stock
Thanks I will give it a shot. Are the commands to disable the torrent easy to do. I don’t use it and I’ve read on the comments disabling it will increase ram and speed.

Thanks I will give it a shot. Are the commands to disable the torrent easy to do. I don’t use it and I’ve read on the comments disabling it will increase ram and speed.
Code:
/etc/init.d/transmission stop

nvram set transmission_disable=1

nvram commit && reboot

when I try to mount my USB drive on
Linux Mint 19.4 I had to change the vers=3.0 to vers=2.0 in my /etc/fstab in able for it to mount.
Is there and difference in the security supported in the Voxel firmware vice stock?

You mean SMB protocol (CIFS)?

In general stock FW is using modified sources of Samba v. 4.6.4. This version of Samba supports SMB3. In general SMB3 is more secure vs SMB2 (I use Samba 3.6.25).

But. Version used in the stock FW is frozen (it is included into GPL sources from NG) i.e. NG does not apply security updates. Check this:

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerab...-171/version_id-259591/Samba-Samba-4.6.4.html

I use Samba 3.6.25 with all currently available security fixes for this version (CVE patches). So decide yourself what is more secure...

Voxel.

Hi,

I use open DNS and cloudflare servers as my public DNS, when I restart the router, it does not connect to the internet. I have to change the DNS settings to Get DNS automatically, power cycle the router,once it connects, I can then change to custom DNS servers.

is there an issue with custom DNS? anyone else having this issue? I'm running V1.0.2.74.1SF

thanks,
Ed

You might be experiencing a different issue that presents itself as a DNS issue. Try this, power cycle the router. Do you get a yellow light for the 2nd LED? Do this instead: Unplug the WAN cable connecting to your Internet source, then power cycle again, when the router LEDs are all lit up except for the 2nd LED, plug the cable back in. Does it work now?

You might be experiencing a different issue that presents itself as a DNS issue. Try this, power cycle the router. Do you get a yellow light for the 2nd LED? Do this instead: Unplug the WAN cable connecting to your Internet source, then power cycle again, when the router LEDs are all lit up except for the 2nd LED, plug the cable back in. Does it work now?

your method worked. I upgraded the firmware, rebooted router... no internet. unplugged WAN, powered on router, waited for the lights, then plugged in WAN and was able to get online without messing with DNS.

is there a fix for this? I dont want to physically unplug any cables everytime I reboot my router.

your method worked. I upgraded the firmware, rebooted router... no internet. unplugged WAN, powered on router, waited for the lights, then plugged in WAN and was able to get online without messing with DNS.

is there a fix for this? I dont want to physically unplug any cables everytime I reboot my router.
Unfortunately as of now, no.
This used to work correctly up to and including firmware version .62SF.
After version .62SF this behavior became the norm.
I have spent a great deal of time trying to find the change which made the difference but I had to pause due to RealLife.

You could flash your modem with .62SF if you want to restore this original functionality.

Unfortunately as of now, no.
This used to work correctly up to and including firmware version .62SF.
After version .62SF this behavior became the norm.
I have spent a great deal of time trying to find the change which made the difference but I had to pause due to RealLife.

You could flash your modem with .62SF if you want to restore this original functionality.

Ah, no worries. I'll figure something out. btw, is there a doc with all the features of this firmware vs. netgear stock?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!