What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.74.1SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well you will be happy to know that I have successfully setup Entware, opened port and installed Transmission in optware within 2 days. And successfully solved my torrent problem.
All credit goes to @Voxel ... thanks very much.
btn_donateCC_LG.gif

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?toke...UL=true&country.x=US&locale.x=en_US&Z3JncnB0=

Last edited:
And changed some values on “settings.json” file.
Most important is to set the right values for target/intermediate files. As far as I remember they are set in Entware version to /opt/downloads or something like this. In your case it is not OK because /opt/downloads is in internal memory of the router, but not USB drive. So there should be something like /mnt/sda1/downloads or so. I.e. USB drive.

so why router version doesn’t work for me..?
Well. There are some changes in the router version of Transmission. Changes needed for NETGEAR Downloader, to display progress bar by Downloader. But they should not break the main functionality of Transmission... It is necessary to understand the logic of your tracker: why it reject its use. I have no ideas. It works now (Entware) - so fine.

Voxel.

Hi @Voxel
Having another issue. Sorry to bother you again. Everything working fine until I inserted my newly ext4 formatted USB SSD drive in 2nd USB port. My WiFi getting disconnected frequently. Transmission stopped. Connection dropping in every minute or two.
But after unplugging the newly attached SSD and rebooting the router everything working fine again.
So as my primary flash drive is being used for Entware how can I use another hard drive on 2nd USB port without issue? Please help..:)

Edit:
Now connection drop may be stable but 2nd Drive randomly mounted as sdb1/sdc1. After restarting the router 2nd drive mounts as sdb1. But when I woke up in the morning I was checking if transmission is working or not. It was not working. So I checked my mount status by “df -h” and saw that 2nd drive was mounted as sdc1. After restart it is now mounted as sdb1 again. Strange..

Last edited:
First. Try to use active USB hub i.e hub with power supply. Maybe your drives are power consuming,,, Not enough power from USB of your R7800.

Second. Maybe your SSD is sleeping? As far as I know Kamoj add-on allows to handle this.

and saw that 2nd drive was mounted as sdc1. After restart it is now mounted as sdb1 again. Strange..

You have a choice to label your USB drive. So you can always detect it as /mnt/LABEL/ but not only /mnt/sdb1 or /mnt/sdc1. For example I do use /mnt/optware instead of /mnt/sda1

Hint:

Code:
mkfs.ext4 -L "your-label" -O ^metadata_csum /dev/sd(x)1

where sd(x)1 is you current drive.

Voxel.

what options do I have to change to prevent sleeping my SSD. @kamoj
Any options in the router firmware to prevent sleeping will be to poll the drive periodically to prevent it from sleeping. Perhaps a better idea would be to connect the drive to a PC and use the manufacturer's utility to turn off sleep mode completely.

I have two R7800 both designated for US region while I am based in Europe. First one is international version and despite US designation it is possible to change region to Europe from within web interface. Second one however is locked for US and web GUI field to change region is not available.
Is it possible to overcome that limitation?

I wasn't sure if I used option metadata_csum originally so I have reformatted the drive from within the router firmware.
Still not possible to mount it. Works fine with NTFS however.

It works with three different drives attached to my three R7800. What FW version do you use?

mkfs.ext4 -L ssd -O ^metadata_csum /dev/sdb1 mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/mnt/ssd

But I want to know why the drive is not mounting by Telnet Command?

Your label "ssd" is used to create symlink "ssd" in /tmp/mnt automatically after reboot. My label is "optware"

ls -al /tmp/mnt:

Code:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Jan  1  1970 optware -> /mnt/sda1
drwxr-xr-x   14 root     root         4096 Jan 22 14:10 sda1

But "mount" works with real directories, not symlinks. So you drive is always attached to /tmp/mnt/sda1 or /tmp/mnt/sdb1 or /tmp/mnt/sdc1 etc. But label is right symlink to your drive and does not matter is it mounted to /tmp/mnt/ as sda1 or sdb1 or sdc1 etc.

Just use your label instead of /tmp/mnt/sd?1 in Transmission config to have always target disk you need. In your case /tmp/mnt/ssd and does no matter how it is mounted.
Voxel.

It works with three different drives attached to my three R7800. What FW version do you use?
First attempt was with 6x version then 1.0.2.72SF and now with 1.0.2.74.1SF.
With OpenWrt it is visible without any issues.

EDIT: started working automagically ;-)

Last edited:
Just use your label instead of /tmp/mnt/sd?1 in Transmission config to have always target disk you need. In your case /tmp/mnt/ssd and does no matter how it is mounted.
OK.. I understand. but I cant see ssd in readyshare and this drive is not showing after I execute df -h command. So the drive is not usable.

Edit: Reformatted through PC and it is working fine now. I have attached my SSD to powered USB Hub and working fine since.
I am having another issue. My router sometimes resets automatically. Happened 2-3 times in last few days since I have attached 2 drives (32GB USB thumb drive for Entware + 128GB SSD for Media)

Last edited:
Is it possible to set up R7800 in a way to have Guest network on 2.4GHz while normal network limited only to 5GHz?

Edit: option disabled '1' in /etc/config/wireless disappears after reboot.

Last edited:
And another idea: Would it be possible to retain DLNA database over reboot? Regenerating it every restart might be a bit of overkill.

Has anyone experienced the following error when attempting to access the management Web GUI with this build?

"The CGI script took too long to produce a response"

It seems that there's something creating a load that's ultimately at the heart of the above uhttpd error. I can usually tell that I will get this error beforehand when my Internet begins being very sluggish. Things just start getting slow, and then when I try to access the web gui it will just spin and spin and spin - eventually (~3min) display an empty white page with just the above CGI script error...

I've not ran Voxel's on my R7800 for about 9-12 months. This is the first build I've tried since then and I've getting pretty meh performance since installing it. I assume I've done something wrong, but I did follow the instructions and have done multiple full resets since.

Best I can describe what leads up to this is:
1) reboot the router
2) access web gui and verify everything's behaving as expected
3) use Internet for 1 to 24hrs - wait for slowness
4) attempt to access web gui at 192.168.1.1 once slowness with web requests is observed
5) watch Chrome try to load router web gui for ~3 minutes before getting error message

I can resolve the issue 1 or 2 ways, it would seem - I can either reboot the router or I can wait ~10-20 minutes for something to automagically fix itself on the router (I figure it's less magical and more something akin to something dying a slow painful asphyxiation death (ugttpd?)).

I went ahead and downgraded to 1.0.2.74SF to see if perhaps it was something with this *.1 minor version, but the behavior is the exact same on that version after a (multiple, actually) reset...

Thanks!

Has anyone experienced the following error when attempting to access the management Web GUI with this build?

"The CGI script took too long to produce a response"

It seems that there's something creating a load that's ultimately at the heart of the above uhttpd error. I can usually tell that I will get this error beforehand when my Internet begins being very sluggish. Things just start getting slow, and then when I try to access the web gui it will just spin and spin and spin - eventually (~3min) display an empty white page with just the above CGI script error...

I've not ran Voxel's on my R7800 for about 9-12 months. This is the first build I've tried since then and I've getting pretty meh performance since installing it. I assume I've done something wrong, but I did follow the instructions and have done multiple full resets since.

Best I can describe what leads up to this is:
1) reboot the router
2) access web gui and verify everything's behaving as expected
3) use Internet for 1 to 24hrs - wait for slowness
4) attempt to access web gui at 192.168.1.1 once slowness with web requests is observed
5) watch Chrome try to load router web gui for ~3 minutes before getting error message

I can resolve the issue 1 or 2 ways, it would seem - I can either reboot the router or I can wait ~10-20 minutes for something to automagically fix itself on the router (I figure it's less magical and more something akin to something dying a slow painful asphyxiation death (ugttpd?)).

I went ahead and downgraded to 1.0.2.74SF to see if perhaps it was something with this *.1 minor version, but the behavior is the exact same on that version after a (multiple, actually) reset...

Thanks!

A quick update on this...

This seems to be related to RTSP - specifically, on Wyze v2 cams running Dafang Hacks firmware and specifically when running the two previously mentioned versions of Voxel's firmware.

When I kill my 2 Wyze v2 cams, which are streaming very low quality via RTSP (quality dropped to troubleshoot / find a workaround), I don't observe the R7800 dying the slow painful death while running on Voxel's firmware... Unfortunately (for me), trying to get the Wyze cams to stop dropping was my main purpose for trying out Voxel's Framework... Not quite sure why things crash like they do on one framework vs the other...

I decided to take my troubleshooting a bit further and go ahead and do a full reset and reflash back to stock (currently V1.0.2.68), on which I do get a bit better behavior - the cameras seem to be dropping the connection, but it doesn't kill my whole network by taking down my R7800...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Info for Entware users: Entware is upgraded.

It is enough to run:

Code:
/opt/bin/opkg update
/opt/bin/opkg upgrade

to upgrade your version. But it is recommended to install it anew. The reason of recommendation: compiler is changed (gcc 7.4.0->gcc 8.3.0).

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!