What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.74.1SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Your release is still the best to me. I prefer yours than other open firmwares.
Looking forward to your Transmission problem fix due to this Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.73SF
fyi: I've tested Transmission build on openwrt, it work fine with http/https tracker.
You can use transmission without any problem if you install it on Entware. I had same problem with router transmission so I installed it on Entware and working flawlessly since then.
You can follow the following guide:
Connect to router through Telnet. Go to: www.routerlogin.net/debug.htm and activate Telnet Access.
Code:
# Entware Installation (it will format the drive, so backup the drive if required)
mkfs.ext4 -L optware -O ^metadata_csum,^64bit /dev/sda1
cd /tmp/mnt/sda1
wget https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Entware/entware-cortex-a15-3x-initial-generic.tar.gz
tar -xzf entware-cortex-a15-3x-initial-generic.tar.gz
reboot

ls -l /opt/*
# Check if above command shows entware directories or symlinks (bin, usr, share, var etc.)
Code:
# Create swap file (optional) in /mnt/sda1or /mnt/sdb1or /mnt/sdc1 etc.:

cd /mnt/sda1
dd if=/dev/zero of=swap bs=1024 count=1048576
mkswap swap
chmod 0600 swap
swapon swap
reboot

/opt/bin/opkg update
/opt/bin/opkg upgrade
Code:
# Disable Router Version of Transmission:
nvram set transmission_disable=1
nvram commit

# Install followings:

/opt/bin/opkg install transmission-daemon-openssl
/opt/bin/opkg install transmission-web-control

/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission stop

# Change Transmission settings file as per your requirements, which is located at:
/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware/etc/transmission/settings.json (/opt/etc/transmission/settings.json)

# After changing execute following:
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission start

# Access Transmission from: 192.168.1.1:9091
Enjoy.

Last edited:
You can use transmission without any problem if you install it on Entware. I had same problem with router transmission so I installed it on Entware and working flawlessly since then.
Connect to router through Telnet. Go to: www.routerlogin.net/debug.htm and activate Telnet Access.
Code:
# Entware Installation (it will format the drive, so backup the drive if required)
cd /tmp/mnt/sda1
wget https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Entware/entware-cortex-a15-3x-initial-generic.tar.gz
reboot

ls -l /opt/*
# Check if above command shows entware directories or symlinks (bin, usr, share, var etc.)
Code:

cd /mnt/sda1
mkswap swap
chmod 0600 swap
swapon swap
reboot

/opt/bin/opkg update
/opt/bin/opkg upgrade
Code:
nvram commit

# Install followings:

# Change Transmission settings file as per your requirements, which is located at:
/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware/etc/transmission/settings.json (/opt/etc/transmission/settings.json)

Enjoy.
This ^^ is a great example of what the forum is all about!

You had troubles with Transmission.

@Voxel helped you through it.

You eventually got Transmission working.

You then post helpful and concise instructions on how to successfully install Transmission to help other thread members.

:):cool:

@Voxel I already have 1GB swap file.. How can I increase swap file size to 2GB?

Edit: figured it out.

Usually the scheme is:

Code:
swapoff /mnt/sda1/swap
rm -f /mnt/sda1/swap

then new swap and reboot.

But. I would not advice to use so big swap. Classic Linux scheme: size of swap is two sizes of RAM. If RAM and such swap is not enough it means that your router is extremely overloaded, and it will deadly slow. Even doing its main functionality (providing Internet for your LAN devices). You will not get acceleration increasing the swap.

Voxel.

I would not advice to use so big swap.
I have managed to install Debian on my router. I am thrilled :D. Doing a lot of experiments.

I have a question to ask... I am using a SSD with my Router. But write speed is very bad. I get around 10MB/s with SMB and around 19MB/s with FTP over 5GHz WiFi. Copy speed between USB and SSD attached with router is very slow as well. But reviews said that write speed is around 60MB/s+. So how about you? How is your transfer speed with R7800?

My test results.
I used my fastest USB stick: https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/extremepro-usb
(One of the faster you can buy, ntfs formated)

Read: 107,685 kbytes/s
Write: 91,730 kbytes/s

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-write-speed-usb.33495/#post-444030
I have a question to ask... I am using a SSD with my Router. But write speed is very bad. I get around 10MB/s with SMB and around 19MB/s with FTP over 5GHz WiFi. Copy speed between USB and SSD attached with router is very slow as well. But reviews said that write speed is around 60MB/s+. So how about you? How is your transfer speed with R7800?

I have managed to install Debian on my router. I am thrilled :D. Doing a lot of experiments.
Well. You were able to surprise me. It is not easy to say true ;). You are growing. Congratulations. Kudos. My respect.

Debian. Not so many people were able to start with. So you push me to release Debian "buster" version for R7800/R9000/RBK50. Stimulus for me. And again: new release... :confused:

SSD should have much faster speed.. so why I get slow speed..:(

The router is the limitation I'm guessing here.

Killhippie is right. Speed of your SSD. You are measuring the speed of SSD attached to R7800 <--> your Wi-Fi client. You should get results of SSD performance first. Second: speed of your Wi-Fi client <--> router.

Homework for you. Just hints. Rest is a kind of self-education. Welcome to the Linux world. Performance of SSD/HDD/USBflash could be measure with a help of hdparm. Google re: how-to. Entware or Debian.

Speed of your Wi-Fi client <--> R7800: iperf3. It is available in R7800 firmware (my build). Should be installed on Wi-Fi client. Then: benchmarks. Google how-to.

You should find your bottleneck with this.

Good luck, please report your results,
Voxel.

Something is happening strangely with this firmware. Sorry i am just a noob. The only thing i can do is reporting what i saw. Every time i log into bank account or paypal or something relates to https.....it takes forever (the message is under the status bar is ".....wating for TLS.....something" . I ended up closing the browser and tried again. Sometimes, i reboot the Netgear router and everything is back to normal.

Debian "buster"
I have no idea what that is but must be good.
BTW: I am successfully running the server on R7800 I asked you about via private message :).
Speed of your SSD. You are measuring the speed of SSD attached to R7800 <--> your Wi-Fi client. You should get results of SSD performance first
Code:
hdparm -tT /dev/sdb1

/dev/sdb1:
 Timing cached reads:   2974 MB in  2.00 seconds =1488.23 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  372 MB in  3.01 seconds =123.63 MB/sec
I have tested the speed of my 4TB Ironwolf NAS HDD attached to USB 3.0 port of R7800.
Second: speed of your Wi-Fi client <--> router
Code:
root@R7800:~$ /opt/bin/iperf3 -s
-----------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on 5201
Accepted connection from 192.168.1.3, port 56126
[  5] local 192.168.1.1 port 5201 connected to 192.168.1.3 port 56127
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate
[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec  34.5 MBytes   289 Mbits/sec
[  5]   1.00-2.00   sec  41.8 MBytes   351 Mbits/sec
[  5]   2.00-3.00   sec  44.7 MBytes   375 Mbits/sec
[  5]   3.00-4.00   sec  43.9 MBytes   368 Mbits/sec
[  5]   4.00-5.00   sec  44.4 MBytes   373 Mbits/sec
[  5]   5.00-6.00   sec  42.4 MBytes   355 Mbits/sec
[  5]   6.00-7.00   sec  45.5 MBytes   382 Mbits/sec
[  5]   7.00-8.00   sec  43.1 MBytes   361 Mbits/sec
[  5]   8.00-9.02   sec  40.9 MBytes   335 Mbits/sec
[  5]   9.02-10.00  sec  43.1 MBytes   370 Mbits/sec
[  5]  10.00-10.06  sec  2.62 MBytes   352 Mbits/sec
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate
[  5]   0.00-10.06  sec   427 MBytes   356 Mbits/sec                  receiver
Code:
IPerf results for host 192.168.1.1:5201 (TCP)

[6]  0.0- 1.1 sec 39321600 bytes 296.23 Mbits/s
[6]  1.1- 2.0 sec 43253760 bytes 356.08 Mbits/s
[6]  2.0- 3.0 sec 47185920 bytes 376.71 Mbits/s
[6]  3.0- 4.0 sec 45875200 bytes 369.23 Mbits/s
[6]  4.0- 5.0 sec 47185920 bytes 371.16 Mbits/s
[6]  5.0- 6.0 sec 44564480 bytes 364.67 Mbits/s
[6]  6.0- 7.0 sec 47185920 bytes 369.44 Mbits/s
[6]  7.0- 8.0 sec 44564480 bytes 363.97 Mbits/s
[6]  8.0- 9.1 sec 44564480 bytes 346.37 Mbits/s
[6]  9.1-10.1 sec 44564480 bytes 358.19 Mbits/s
what do you think about the results?

Edit: So I figured out that transfer speed from my iPhone 11 to R7800 is around 32MB/s and R7800 to my iPhone 11 is around 72MB/s. So I am happy with the speed. But when I copy something from one folder to another within the HDD or Flash drive attached to the router from my iPhone interface I get very poor speed. Why is that..?

Last edited:
Code:
cd /tmp/mnt/sda1
reboot

ls -l /opt/*
Code:

cd /mnt/sda1
mkswap swap
chmod 0600 swap
swapon swap
reboot

/opt/bin/opkg update
/opt/bin/opkg upgrade
Code:
nvram commit

# Install followings:

Enjoy.

Thanks a lot Azimul!

I've installed Entware and then Transmission. Now I can use Transmission.
But I were so confused.
It seem my drive did NOT formatted after running this "mkfs.ext4 -L optware -O ^metadata_csum,^64bit /dev/sda1".

It's still NTFS
Code:
USB Device U: (Basic data partition)
File System: NTFS

@Voxel ,
i use my broadcom router as "wireles ethernet bridge" (5Ghz) and as "Access Point" (2GHz) at the same time with "Fresh Tomato". I owned a R7800 last week and flashed with your
v. 1.0.2.74.1SF. I use it as WLAN-Bridge but as you know just wired clients can connct to the router. Ist it possible to enable both 5G and 2 G channel at the same time i your work?

But when I copy something from one folder to another within the HDD or Flash drive attached to the router from my iPhone interface I get very poor speed. Why is that..?
How do you preform this copy? From telnet/ssh by "cp" command from directory to directory on the same disk or from remote device by samba or whatever else?

Voxel.

It seem my drive did NOT formatted after running this "mkfs.ext4 -L optware -O ^metadata_csum,^64bit /dev/sda1".

It's still NTFS

Important: target disk should be unmounted before running the command "mkfs.ext4". I.e. not mounted to /mnt/sda1 or /mnt/sdb1 etc. Samba/FTP(ReadySHARE) or minidlna (Media Server) could be a reason to disallow "umount /mnt/sda1" command. Should be disabled in GUI, then reboot, then after mkfs.ext4 you can enable them again.

Voxel.

@Voxel ,
i use my broadcom router as "wireles ethernet bridge" (5Ghz) and as "Access Point" (2GHz) at the same time with "Fresh Tomato". I owned a R7800 last week and flashed with your
v. 1.0.2.74.1SF. I use it as WLAN-Bridge but as you know just wired clients can connct to the router. Ist it possible to enable both 5G and 2 G channel at the same time i your work?
Sorry no.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!