What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.76SF & v. 1.0.2.76.1SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What was the upgrade path when you updated to v75 or 76?
Did you have voxels FW loaded before that? If so, what version had been loaded?
Or did you have stock before you had loaded v75?

What was the upgrade path when you updated to v75 or 76?
Did you have voxels FW loaded before that? If so, what version had been loaded?
Or did you have stock before you had loaded v75?

Success !!! Dirty flash over stock 68. Then Factory reset and manual reconfigure did the trick. Im not sure what the issue could have been. To answer your question. All my upgrades were from stock. And always preformed a factory reset and reconfigured. This is truly something i dont understand but for what ever reason all is good now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
really quick question. I see /etc /passwd is symlinked to /tmp /config /passwd. what script creates this symlink on startup? I'm trying to permanently modify the passwd file to change root's login shell to /bin/zsh.

also, I see the latest OpenWRT builds allow for image sizes greater than 80 MB but your code imposes a limitation from 2015 to limit the image size to 32 MB. OpenWRT said to upgrade to images larger than 32 MB I needed to upload the new image with TFTP. is the built in updater limited to 32 MB? I'm trying to build your image with little modification other than with zsh.

I'd recently upgraded my R7800 running as an AP to 1.0.2.75.2SF and was getting complaints of sluggish web pages, wifi disconnects, low speed test results and very poor 2GHz wifi availabilty. A reboot helped a little on the 2GHz part but the other problems remained.
I've just upgraded to 76.1SF and the speed test result is back to full speed again. :)

really quick question. I see /etc /passwd is symlinked to /tmp /config /passwd. what script creates this symlink on startup? I'm trying to permanently modify the passwd file to change root's login shell to /bin/zsh.

The symlink isn't created by a script, but is already present in the firmware (check /rom/etc).
However, if you just delete the symlink and copy passwd from /tmp/config to /etc, then it ends up in the overlay (/overlay/etc) and should persist.
(At least until you flash a new version of the firmware; If you also want it to persist across firmware updates, then you'd need to put something in the autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh on a usb ).

I'd recently upgraded my R7800 running as an AP to 1.0.2.75.2SF and was getting complaints of sluggish web pages, wifi disconnects, low speed test results and very poor 2GHz wifi availabilty. A reboot helped a little on the 2GHz part but the other problems remained.
I've just upgraded to 76.1SF and the speed test result is back to full speed again. :)

that's interesting... and there's really no reason the change should affect the wifi itself, huh?

@Voxel

fq-codel is already included in the firmware but there is no way to set it (/proc/sys/net/core/default_qdisc is missing). Can you turn on the kernel option to set the network scheduler?

So this is new for me. I am currently using 1.0.2.76.1SF and my 7800 has been dropping all of my wired connections and ONLY the wired connections. All 2.4 and 5.0 devices function perfectly. If I go into the device list there are zero wired devices listed.

Can anyone help troubleshoot? If you’d like I can provide any logs or information to assist.

This has never happened before and I’ve been using Voxel’s firmware on this router for as long as I can remember and I update the firmware routinely.

A reboot doesn’t fix it either. All wireless devices instantly reconnect to router, but the router still doesn’t recognized wired devices. I have to reboot a bunch of times and wait some time before the router sees wired devices again.

Last edited:
So this is new for me. I am currently using 1.0.2.76.1SF and my 7800 has been dropping all of my wired connections and ONLY the wired connections. All 2.4 and 5.0 devices function perfectly. If I go into the device list there are zero wired devices listed.

Can anyone help troubleshoot? If you’d like I can provide any logs or information to assist.

This has never happened before and I’ve been using Voxel’s firmware on this router for as long as I can remember and I update the firmware routinely.

A reboot doesn’t fix it either. All wireless devices instantly reconnect to router, but the router still doesn’t recognized wired devices. I have to reboot a bunch of times and wait some time before the router sees wired devices again.

Time for a factory reset, I'm afraid

@Candurin, yes, without the restoring the saved backup files though. (That would effectively negate the factory reset). :)

Reactions: KW.
So, I am confused. What issue is my router having that a factory reset is needed? Has my issue been seen before?

I went ahead and performed the reset as recommended, should be back up and running in a few minutes.

Really just curious is to what the issue is/was.

Last edited:
@Candurin, yes, without the restoring the saved backup files though. (That would effectively negate the factory reset). :)
Hello,
I always wondered why the backup of the settings would mess up a factory reseted modem. It contains all the IPs and the network settings of the router, and nothing more, right. Why would that cause a problem? The same setting will be configured again, so...
Just trying to understand :)

Hello,
I always wondered why the backup of the settings would mess up a factory reseted modem. It contains all the IPs and the network settings of the router, and nothing more, right. Why would that cause a problem? The same setting will be configured again, so...

Settings (the ones saved and restored from web GUI) are everything in NVRAM. This is all settings, so IPs and network settings, but also a lot more. Over time, and particularly when new firmwares are installed, the settings might not totally apply (different version of a binary slightly different, etc...) and become corrupted. Of course, this does not apply to « main » settings like IPs, but it’s all or nothing.
So sometimes, a factory reset followed by entering manually the settings is the only way to go as restoring a former backup will restore the corrupted settings.
I have a project about that, (but not the time to work on it). A way to save and restore settings in a clean way.

Far enough. The worst part was renaming all of the devices on my network again. As I keep a spreadsheet, it was very easy to match up Mac addresses and just copy and paste.

I’ll keep everyone posted if the issue happens again. Thanks for the advice!

My own experinece after hundreds of flashings...:
Sometimes the .cfg file gets corrupt and hangs router if restored.
In these cases the created .cfg file has been about the double size of previous backup.
So keep track of it's size.
Apart from that, my current .cfg file remains since 2017, and is used in both stock and Voxel firmware.
So I really never understood this hype about need of doing factory reset.
The factory reset does not even erase all memory, so I'm not clear to when it helps.
Any user that have been helped by a factory reset: What did you do before you got problems?
Did you try an older .cfg file instead?
PS
This may be my own fault since experimenting too much...
Hello,

I have the newest Voxel firmware installed. I have a router in AP mode connected to one of the ports of my R7800, then another router in AP mode connected to a port of that router. That AP is set in its' own configuration to the IP address 192.168.0.202 statically, which is out of the range of my DHCP server 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199 for my devices. The logs of my R7800 show that it keeps giving it a free IP address in my DHCP range, 192.168.0.150, every 35 seconds or so. The other AP is also outside the range, but that does not show up on my logs.

Edit: I extended the DHCP range from .199 - .203, placed the AP in the DHCP range, gave it the same static IP address in both the AP and The router, and now the Log repeats itself every 13 seconds, but at least it is showing the correct IP address.

Last edited:
I understand that the factory reset is needed when
1) you don’t have a good backup file, (your backup file is already corrupted).
2) when a new firmware would not behave correctly using the set of previous firmware settings. In that case, even a restore of all settings would not work.

I did not have this router long enough to experience any of those cases, but I had to do factory reset more than I should have with the nvram NAND failure problem and router replaced.
Now I am a little parano and limit writes to internal flash as much as I can.

My own experinece after hundreds of flashings...:
Sometimes the .cfg file gets corrupt and hangs router if restored.
In these cases the created .cfg file has been about the double size of previous backup.
So keep track of it's size.
Apart from that, my current .cfg file remains since 2017, and is used in both stock and Voxel firmware.
So I really never understood this hype about need of doing factory reset.
The factory reset does not even erase all memory, so I'm not clear to when it helps.
Any user that have been helped by a factory reset: What did you do before you got problems?
Did you try an older .cfg file instead?
PS
This may be my own fault since experimenting too much...

that's interesting... and there's really no reason the change should affect the wifi itself, huh?
I think you're asking the wrong person. ;-) I can't keep up with all the changes, let alone know which ones might affect AP operation. Either way the update apparently "fixed" things without resorting to a factory reset. ;-)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!