What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.77SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry, no.

Voxel.
I mean that if you use root user you have all root rights (read/write) to all folders:

net use x: \\readyshare\USB_Storage /user:root

Rights of user "admin" are restricted. Password is the same as for user "admin".

Voxel.
Got it working. using \\readyshare was the problem here.
Had to use the ip instead. Seems \\readyshare was somehow in use already.

Last edited:
@Voxel

Although I was on Needles and Pins (pun intended), I just upgraded from 74.4SF to 77SF successfully.

The only nit was when I uploaded 77SF to the 7800, I got a warning that said:
192.168.1.1 says: Warning! You are trying to download firmware with version V1.0.2.77SF which is older than the firmware with version V1.0.2.74.4SF you had. Do you want to continue?

I clicked OK and the install process completed successfully.

The surprisingly nice aspect to the firmware upgrade was that the nvram did not cause problems like it had when I upgraded to 74.4SF. The router retained all it settings. BTW, I am not running any other software provided by other snbforum members to get around the nvram content retention issue.

Prior to today's firmware upgrade, I momentarily lost power on Friday night (during some local riots). The 7800 rebooted without issue with 74.4SF. I had expected it would have the nvram retention issue and lose its settings.

The only difference I can recall is that I disabled the Traffic Meter (TM) after I installed 74.4SF and setup the 7800 back in March. TM with DST enabled was causing Shield's Up All Service Ports test to fail.

With 77SF, I just ran Shields Up All Service Ports test with TM disabled and DST enabled. It passed. I have no practical use for TM and will never enable it again.

I'm glad I was able to upgrade to 77SF without hassles.

THANK YOU Voxel!
I, too, received the "older" firmware warning when I upgraded to 77SF (though I upgraded from 76.1SF). I stopped to verify that I was using the correct, newer, file; I was, so I continued the upgrade, and then verified the installation after the restart.

I, too, lost my settings when I upgraded to 74.4SF. Fortunately, this was the first (and only) time I have lost my settings.

I, too, received the "older" firmware warning when I upgraded to 77SF (though I upgraded from 76.1SF). I stopped to verify that I was using the correct, newer, file; I was, so I continued the upgrade, and then verified the installation after the restart.

I, too, lost my settings when I upgraded to 74.4SF. Fortunately, this was the first (and only) time I have lost my settings.
Glad 77SF was an easy upgrade for you too.

Did you have Traffic Meter enabled prior to upgrading to 74.4SF?
Did you have Traffic Meter enabled prior to upgrading to 77SF?

If so, was DST enabled in either situation?

Glad 77SF was an easy upgrade for you too.

Did you have Traffic Meter enabled prior to upgrading to 74.4SF?
Did you have Traffic Meter enabled prior to upgrading to 77SF?

If so, was DST enabled in either situation?
I purchased the router in Aug 2019, pre-owned. The first Voxel f/w I installed was 69SF (it was the availability of the Voxel f/w and the active community of users that sealed my decision to purchase the R7800).

Some time after that, I experimented with Traffic Meter, but I don't know which Voxel build I was using at the time. I noticed that it was subsequently disabled, but I don't know when (I didn't disable it manually). 74.4SF was released on March 12, 2020. I'm certain that my use of Traffic Meter ended long before that. Traffic Meter most definitely was not ever enabled after that (not even momentarily), and therefore was not enabled prior to upgrading to 77SF.

I have never used DST. [Correction: If "DST" is Daylight Savings Time, I do use (and have always enabled) DST.]

Last edited:
I purchased the router in Aug 2019, pre-owned. The first Voxel f/w I installed was 69SF (it was the availability of the Voxel f/w and the active community of users that sealed my decision to purchase the R7800).

Some time after that, I experimented with Traffic Meter, but I don't know which Voxel build I was using at the time. I noticed that it was subsequently disabled, but I don't know when (I didn't disable it manually). 74.4SF was released on March 12, 2020. I'm certain that my use of Traffic Meter ended long before that. Traffic Meter most definitely was not ever enabled after that (not even momentarily), and therefore was not enabled prior to upgrading to 77SF.

I have never used DST.
Thanks. Just trying to figure out if Traffic Meter is causing issues specific to my 7800 or it's being seen by others.

There is a whole thread about R7800 loosing its settings here, and clearly traffic meter is badly designed and source for problems. It is making a lot of writes to NAND chip, wearing it (or related components).
My suggestion: never use it.

Thanks. Just trying to figure out if Traffic Meter is causing issues specific to my 7800 or it's being seen by others.

I copy files over WIFI to the USB drive connected to 7800.

The writing speed using this mod is much slower that with original firmware.

I get about 25MB/s with this firmware mod and about 45MB/S. Can this be improved somehow?

without more details on how you proceed, it is hard to help you.

I have latest @Voxel firmware (V1.0.2.77SF) and using ‘WiFi Speed Test’ on android phone connected at 433Mbps (5GHz) to the R7800 router, I get using samba:
35 Mbit/s download
43 Mbit/s upload

I get about 25MB/s with this firmware mod and about 45MB/S. Can this be improved somehow?

without more details on how you proceed, it is hard to help you.
What infos would you need?

I also run the "WiFi Speed Test" on android phone connected on 5GHz to the R7800 with follow SMB results. Also tested different package sizes.

R7800-V1.0.2.62 (Stock):
94.8 Mbit/s download
79.7 Mbit/s upload

R7800-V1.0.2.77SF (Voxel):
51.0 Mbit/s download
38.7 Mbit/s upload

The stock firmware is almost twice as fast. So i was asking @Voxel if this can be improved somehow? Maybe it just needs some smb.conf adjustment.

server signing = No
read raw = Yes
write raw = Yes
strict locking = No

Last edited:
That is nice, thank you. :)
In general, the more information we can give, the more it helps to troubleshoot or pinpoint the origin of a problem.

It is clear that the difference is significant.

Have you tried to compare speeds with scp between stock and Voxel? That to confirm it is related to samba itself and not just r/w from/to usb.

What infos would you need?

I also run the "WiFi Speed Test" on android phone connected on 5GHz to the R7800 with follow SMB results. Also tested different package sizes.

R7800-V1.0.2.62 (Stock):
94.8 Mbit/s download
79.7 Mbit/s upload

51.0 Mbit/s download
38.7 Mbit/s upload

The stock firmware is almost twice as fast. So i was asking @Voxel if this can be improved somehow? Maybe it just needs some smb.conf adjustment.

server signing = No
read raw = Yes
write raw = Yes
strict locking = No

Now SAMBA is optimized for wired connection. What is the speed is you are using cable? Mine is about 105-110MB/sec from the fast flash drive.

Fine tuning for own purposes. Currently (optimization, affinity) SAMBA (i.e. smbd process) is started on the core 2 and process usb-storage is switched to the core 1. I.e. manual assignment. On the other hand wifi1 irq is using core 1 and wifi0 irq is using core 2 where wifi0 is 5GHz. Also manual optimization. Core 2 is less overloaded as a rule. So these changes (5GHz Wi-Fi and Samba on core 2) are because of this.

You can play with this. There is a command taskset. Check how to switch the process to core 1 or to core 2.

Also there is such init script /etc/init.d/qca-nss-drv which assign irq to concrete core for wifi0 and wifi1. All of such switches could be done on R7800 on the fly.

Voxel.

Now SAMBA is optimized for wired connection....
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately im not into this, no idea what to do.

Will you improve samba for WIFI in a future firmware? or maybe make an "Optimize for WIFI / WIRED" option in web interface?
Otherwise maybe the stock FW is the better option for me.

Just test how fast or slow is samba if you are using wired client. First step. After that: let us decide what to do.

Voxel.

Here are the wired results

R7800-V1.0.2.62 (Stock):
62 MB/s download
52 MB/s upload

65 MB/s download
42 MB/s upload

To move the 5 GHz wifi0 to other kernel, run this from router telnet prompt:
Code:
echo 1 > /proc/irq/$(grep -i wifi0 /proc/interrupts | cut -d: -f1 | tail -n1 | tr -d ' ')/smp_affinity
Change is lost at reboot.
But you can try it and see if you get higher transfer speed in your test.

Will you improve samba for WIFI in a future firmware? or maybe make an "Optimize for WIFI / WIRED" option in web interface?
Otherwise maybe the stock FW is the better option for me.

"To move the 5 GHz wifi0 to other kernel, run this from router telnet prompt:"

Thanks but want to make sure I fully understand. The other processor? When you say kernel I'm thinking that's software.

Thanks for everyone's work on .77. All of our wired clients are faster. Interesting to read the discussion about SAMBA being optimized for wired.

Clearly faster for our application as is. Three people working from home connected wired.

If these are the settings that impact data xfers is there a way to have them be a custom option? Just curious.

"server signing = No
read raw = Yes
write raw = Yes
strict locking = No"

The CPU in the R7800 has 2 cores/cpus if you so prefer - and 2 NSS.
What the command does is that it moves the IRQ so the wifi0 interrupts are handled by the other "cpu".
When the interrupt happens, it calls a piece of software.
PS
When I was younger I has a Commodore 64 computer running Kernal. :p
"To move the 5 GHz wifi0 to other kernel, run this from router telnet prompt:"

Thanks but want to make sure I fully understand. The other processor? When you say kernel I'm thinking that's software.

Thanks for everyone's work on .77. All of our wired clients are faster. Interesting to read the discussion about SAMBA being optimized for wired.

Clearly faster for our application as is. Three people working from home connected wired.

If these are the settings that impact data xfers is there a way to have them be a custom option? Just curious.

"server signing = No
read raw = Yes
write raw = Yes
strict locking = No"

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!