What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.77SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The CPU in the R7800 has 2 cores/cpus if you so prefer - and 2 NSS.
What the command does is that it moves the IRQ so the wifi0 interrupts are handled by the other "cpu".
When the interrupt happens, it calls a piece of software.
PS
When I was younger I has a Commodore 64 computer running Kernal. :p
I had a C64 then a C128 ;) Still have it somewhere in basement...

Had pretty weird issue with 76
Upgraded net from 500 mbit to 1000 mbit. With 500 mbit I had consitent speed of 500 in speedtest. But after upgrade it went down to 350 mbit.
Switched to 77 and speed went back to 500, even 550 but at a times it was lower. Disabled SIP alg which helped to stabilize around 540 average but overall speed was declining chart.

Had to disable QoS to see full speed - sitting at 945mbit now.
yGefA3c.png
yGefA3c.png

https://imgur.com/yGefA3c

QoS is only beneficial for slow(er) lines. The closer you get to Gbps speed, the less you should use it

To move the 5 GHz wifi0 to other kernel, run this from router telnet prompt:
Code:
echo 1 > /proc/irq/$(grep -i wifi0 /proc/interrupts | cut -d: -f1 | tail -n1 | tr -d ' ')/smp_affinity
Change is lost at reboot.
But you can try it and see if you get higher transfer speed in your test.
Since Voxel doesnt seem to be interested in optimizing wifi smb performance, im back on public firmware.
Thanks for your help anyways.

Did you try to mesure transfer speeds with scp?
Did you try the WiFi optimization proposed (changing active core)?

We can only help step by step, and first we need to know if what was proposed is bringing any result to find a solution or for @Voxel to add options in his firmware.

PS: I don’t think @Voxel is not interested in that. I think he has little time as it is a benevolent side project for him and it is a huge task to maintain such a firmware as he does (for several models no less).
If I recall, he did not discard to look at that but needs you to try what was proposed first before considering a possible next step.

Now, if stock firmware is fulfilling your needs, that is fine.

Since Voxel doesnt seem to be interested in optimizing wifi smb performance, im back on public firmware.

I wasn’t going to say anything, but I can’t resist. I’m a bit taken aback by this sort of post / sentiment in how impatient and entitled it is.

Perhaps this is not the person’s intention, but it amounts to “you are not providing me with personalised support for your 100% optional and free of charge work, so I am not using your FW”. I think that stinks and is yet another example of how people somehow develop this concept that they’re owed something in exchange for absolutely nothing. It would have been something if the person was polite, but looking at some of the responses, they were quite blunt. One can’t help but feel “get lost and good riddance, you won’t be missed” is the required sentiment. But I know that the community here is generally very positive and polite (and is that much better for being so).

I know that Voxel would probably not respond in any such way. He’s better than that. Very frustrating seeing posts like this though. Anyway - rant over!

Does Voxel's firmware support VLANs? I want to install new firmware on my R7800 so I can run a guest and home wifi network on two separate VLANS. Thnks for the help. I can't seem to find a list of features that voxel's firmware provide.

Does Voxel's firmware support VLANs? I want to install new firmware on my R7800 so I can run a guest and home wifi network on two separate VLANS. Thnks for the help. I can't seem to find a list of features that voxel's firmware provide.

It does not

as far as I can see, Voxel firmware (and probably stock also) does have support for VLANs.
(advanced settings -> VLAN/Bridge settings)
But there is not yet a way to put Guest Wifi in a different VLAN than the the normal WiFi.
You can only separate 2.4 G and 5 G Wifi in different VLANs

So if you enable guest wifi only on 2.4 G and normal WiFi only on 5 G, then you could have some form of separation.

But this is all theory, and didn't actually try this myself.
(for instance, no clue how the DHCP server would cope with this.)

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If you simply want that Guest devices cannot access the local network, then you can enable the option "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" -> this makes the wireless connections from Guest somehow filter out all traffic destined for the local subnet and only allow access to internet.

Probably not really firmware related but don't know where else to post this.

I recently had to replace an damaged laptop. Using a brand new Acer that has an Intel wifi6 wireless card. Also has HT160 support. Turned HT160 on in the R7800. It works great. Feels as fast as being connected via wired.

as far as I can see, Voxel firmware (and probably stock also) does have support for VLANs.
(advanced settings -> VLAN/Bridge settings)

WARNING, not sure if it is related, but to write this post yesterday, I clicked around a bit in that section, without actually saving anything.
But shortly after that, I could no longer connect from WiFi to wired devices.
Then I rebooted the router -> after that my internet connection would no longer work. (didn't get an IP anymore, and ifconfig of ethwan (or brwan, don't remember) showed only TX and no RX traffic.
After a lot of troubleshooting (trying different cables, connecting modem directly to a laptop, etc,etc), I noticed that the checkbox "Enable VLAN/Bridge group" was still enabled.. -> apparently this checkbox already becomes active without pressing Apply ??

Anyways, disabling that checkbox again got my internet back.
But the connecting from wifi to wired still would stop working after some minutes / hours.

Then I started messing again in the VLAN settings. And after that, I could no longer reach the router.
So ended up doing a factory reset...

(and then still spend a lot of time fixing stuff, because the wireguard config file that I tried last week, was still present on my router, so Voxel firmware did try to start wireguard, but this would fail because my Wireguard Server in Azure was powered down.
But somehow wireguard start script removes the default route even when connection is failing to establish a connection.
so even after factory default, I could not yet access internet.)

TLDR: Do not mess around in the VLAN/Bridge settings unless you know what you are doing, and might need a factory reset to recover. (so make sure you also backupped all important things like reservations and port-forwardings)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!