What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.78SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel, could you enlighten me about something please?

Today I noticed in my Windows 10 network explorer, a phone that doesn't belong to me popped up (most likely belongs to one of my Neighbors). It gave me the MAC address and the name of the device but that was it. I didn't try and connect to it. The thing is, my Windows PC does not have WiFi (doesn't even have a WiFi card installed) it can only connect to my network via Ethernet which it does. No other device on my network was connected at the time this happened it was just my PC and my Route that were active.

When I looked in the router's attached devices list this random phone was not listed. I also have access control switched on in the settings and have it set to block all new connections, so I'm really confused here as to why the router somehow let the device broadcast its presence onto my network so my PC could see it.

Today I noticed in my Windows 10 network explorer, a phone that doesn't belong to me popped up (most likely belongs to one of my Neighbors). It gave me the MAC address and the name of the device but that was it. I didn't try and connect to it. The thing is, my Windows PC does not have WiFi (doesn't even have a WiFi card installed) it can only connect to my network via Ethernet which it does. No other device on my network was connected at the time this happened it was just my PC and my Route that were active.

When I looked in the router's attached devices list this random phone was not listed. I also have access control switched on in the settings and have it set to block all new connections, so I'm really confused here as to why the router somehow let the device broadcast its presence onto my network so my PC could see it.
Well. Faced long time ago something like this when my bluetooth was enabled on my desktop (w/o Wi-Fi adapter). I think that alien phone was not connected by Wi-Fi...

Voxel.

I should have also mentioned that my PC doesn't have Bluetooth either.

Edit: OK so someone's told me on another forum about Windows "Connect Now" service and I think I get what's going on now. It's all to do with WPS.

Seems like I can't disable Wifi Protected Setup on the router, annoyingly. I had already disabled the "Router's PIN" checkbox when I set it up so that obviously isn't actually turning WPS off. I suppose I could just disable the connect now service on Windows but that doesn't stop the router collecting new unauthenticated device info and spitting it onto my network.

Last edited:
@Voxel

Ever since losing all 7800 settings installing 74.4SF, I've delayed updating to your newest releases until user feedback is provided. I decided to take the plunge today.

I installed 78SF just now. No issues. Shields Up tests pass.

After disabling the 7800 Traffic Meter after the 74.4SF installation issues (not blaming 74.4SF), I've had no issues with upgrading to 77SF and now 78SF. (I skipped over 75SF and 76SF).

There was a theory from other users that the NVRAM was failing and I'm not discounting that. However, disabling the Traffic Meter has been a successful workaround for me.

Hope you and your family are doing well.

All the best!

@Voxel

Ever since losing all 7800 settings installing 74.4SF, I've delayed updating to your newest releases until user feedback is provided.

I, too, lost all of my settings when I upgraded to 74.4SF. But I haven't had a problem with any upgrades since then, so I'm no longer worried that there is a defect in my NVRAM.

What kind of internet service provider do you have? I have wired Verizion FIOS throughout my condo and I get "echoes" from my neighbors through coaxial cables. Why? Well, the internet comes in through fiber optic cables, then converted to ethernet, then it's converted to coaxial cables as this is what is spread throughout my condo. In order to convert the ethernet to cable, I use a special converter.

Unfortunately, Verizon FIOS didn't aniticipate this and didn't include a $5 part that would prevent your data from "echoing back" through the coax lines to nearby condoes. They can hear your you. To prevent this, they sell this $5 or $10 part on the net. Maybe this is what is happening to you. You could also replace that cheap RJ59 cable they put in.

Having a weird issue that someone might be able to explain. Using Chrome, I can't update to Voxel's firmware any longer, it's never been a problem before, but now the file seemingly doesn't upload and I just end back at the upload screen. Oddly enough it works fine with a different browser...
Not an issue I remember ever having when it comes to upgrading a router firmware before.

Having a weird issue that someone might be able to explain. Using Chrome, I can't update to Voxel's firmware any longer, it's never been a problem before, but now the file seemingly doesn't upload and I just end back at the upload screen. Oddly enough it works fine with a different browser...
Not an issue I remember ever having when it comes to upgrading a router firmware before.
Not a problem I've had, but did you try incognito mode. I've seen that recommended for similar issues.

A while back, I had trouble with google Chrome too. I gave up and used the older non-chromium version of Microsoft Edge with no issues.

Since then, I'm using the new Microsoft Edge with the chromium internals and I like it a lot. It's not a RAM hog nor power hungry like google Chrome even with a plethora of open tabs.

I never thought I would be doing this, but I have been migrating from Chrome to Edge and using Chrome for google centric things like gmail, google drive, google voice, etc. I use Edge for almost everything else.

Also, Edge can use extensions from the google chrome web store which is great.

HST, I have Edge set up to use google as my search engine because I think it's better than Bing.

i recently had to go from router mode to AP mode on stock firmware. are there any benefits to using voxel's firmware using AP mode?

Last edited:
Can someone show me how to add Nord VPN to R7800 ? Tks

Updated security patches?
@Voxel I'll put a different angle on it. Are there any negatives to using your firmware on an R7800 in AP mode?
Using AP mode one wouldn't necessarily use the additional features brought by the custom firmware.

I wholeheartedly agree that security updates are important (especially when functioning as a router) but, and correct me if I'm wrong here as there's a strong possibility(!), the optimisations seem to be skewed towards performance in features such as USB disk sharing, OpenVPN, routing performance, etc, rather than a focus on pure Wi-Fi performance. This is understandable of course.

If one wants the best AP performance possible, with Beam forming, MU-MIMO, HT160, good connection speeds, etc, etc, is one better off with the latest stock? If so, why? Keen to hear your thoughts.

I think I read somewhere that your firmware is based off of an older stock firmware and not the latest, is that correct? Would one be missing out on anything that the latest stock offers that you are actively working to include in your custom version?

Sorry for the million questions, just seeking some clarity before I commit as, having moved to pfSense for routing, I will likely never use my R7800 as a router again.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Why dont you test and compare? I've not used Voxel for AP and have a different router. But I can tell you that from my experience the extra features is nice. But the magic is really how drastic the router performance have changed for me. From a disappointment with my r9000 now it is a monster in reach, pace and responsiveness. And its a fact no feeling. It is night and day for me. With Voxel and Kamoj addon I have close to full speed at places I could barley surf the web with the stock firmware.

@Squuiid the only thing I've noticed is that Voxel uses a slightly dated UI, but beyond that, I have not seen anything that would be negative over the stock firmware.

Keep in mind that it's very hard to do anything to the Wi-Fi performance, as that tends to depend a lot on binary blobs that are provided by the chipset maker. These are rarely updated by the router manufacturers, unless there's some major changes/fixes that they have to add to their products.

Having worked for a router manufacturer, I can tell you that all the router chipset manufacturers, i.e. QCA, Broadcomm, Realtek, MTK etc. are shirte when it comes to updating their software. MTK is afaik still not even on kernel 4.x for most of their hardware and the latest QCA 802.11ax SoCs are running kernel 4.4 or something along those lines. It's not easy to make some of the binary blobs provided by these companies to work with more recent kernels and sometimes it's not possible at all. As such, the updates that can be done, are in general optimisations of other bits of software on the router, as well as update things that can be patched easily when there's a new security update.

In other words, don't expect miracles from the likes of Voxel or Merlin, as their hands are tied when it comes to being able to update some parts of the router software.

I'm actually dismayed at how little the chipset companies cares about updating their software and to provide stable, modern software. However, they get away with it as none of the router manufacturers are requesting it. I guess this also comes down to the end customers not asking for, as most people are clueless when it comes to routers and more so about the importance of having secure and up to date software running on their router.

Last edited:
I have the same question for long time coz using two r7800 in AP mode only. The all major Voxel great updates and features are related to router part.
The wifi performance looks the same for stock and Voxel. Both builds are using very outdated 3.4.103 kernel and i am worry to have it on main router but not as much on AP.
Whats the real advantage then to use Voxel for pure AP mode?

I have the same question for long time coz using two r7800 in AP mode only. The all major Voxel great updates and features are related to router part.
The wifi performance looks the same for stock and Voxel. Both builds are using very outdated 3.4.103 kernel and i am worry to have it on main router but not as much on AP.
Whats the real advantage then to use Voxel for pure AP mode?
You're worried about kernel 3.4.103? Oh boy... Plenty of routers are still on 2.6.39.x...

Also, as I mentioned above, it might not actually be possible to move to a new kernel, unless the chipset maker updates their binary blobs.

If you want a more up to date kernel, you're going to have to move to OpenWRT or DD-WRT.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!