What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.83SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

About IPv6:

Yep. That's what I thought. Not much has changed since the 90s, apparently.

Your situation:
Your LAN is IPv6, because you set it up that way or is it configured by the router via DHCP or stateless addressing?
Are you supposed to have working IPv6 from your provider (but customer support is very bad in helping set it up), or are they simply not providing working IPv6?
Are the addresses on your LAN global, aka supposed to be public (from your ISP)? Of just local addresses?

I didn't go out of my way to configure it. I noticed that when I PuTTY into my Raspberry Pi running Ubuntu that it resolves to the IPv6, not the IPv4, address. I also notice Windows connects to my network printer with its IPv6 address rather than its IPv4 one that I set up to be fixed in the router.

Yep. That's what I thought. Not much has changed since the 90s, apparently.

I didn't go out of my way to configure it. I noticed that when I PuTTY into my Raspberry Pi running Ubuntu that it resolves to the IPv6, not the IPv4, address. I also notice Windows connects to my network printer with its IPv6 address rather than its IPv4 one that I set up to be fixed in the router.
Ok. You probably are better not changing anything for now ;)

PS: I am lucky to have it working fine from my ISP. If someone needs IPv6 and don’t have it from their ISP, there are some free (hurricane) or paid services to get it through an IPv4 tunnel.

@Voxel
I have my usual boring post for you...
I just installed 83SF.
No issues other than getting the older firmware warning (NG badge of honor???).
My Galaxy S9+ seemed to connect to 5 GHz wifi quicker than usual.
Ran Shields Up port test. No issues.
It's just another Voxel update (sang to the Bangles' hit "Manic Monday").
Thank you!

My Galaxy S9+ seemed to connect to 5 GHz wifi quicker than usual.
Thank you. Good you could detect this. There should be some boost:

Changes (vs 1.0.2.82.2SF):
. . .
18. Selective optimization '-O3' of kernel components/modules (slight boost).
. . .

From my git (marked by red dot):

1615994792893.png

Voxel.

I can keep saying because of your firmware Netgear router's are shinning for years. Its been 3.5 years with no stoppage until i do rarely in months or power failure for hours even ups cant hold.

Thanks you will not be enough but it still gives a gesture of your hard work is well received in this community.

I wish you would be able to extend the same for upcoming AX router's. Its still costly or to early for most but next upgrade already there . WIFI6 or 6E is still a myth like wave-1 or wave-2 like i see this disclaimer on one of possible best Qualcomm router with decent spec not fulfilling the draft 3.0 being 6 not 6E so draft is now gone up with more features yet to be unlocked.

1616260346657.png

Hi,
Been away for a while, i've just upgraded my R7800 with 1.83SF and Kamoj 5.4b24.

Everything works fine for several hours, ssh recovery via usb + all my settings : all works fine. Wifi 5Ghz seems to be more accurate and stable.

Thanks Voxel and Kamoj for your work.

I think @Voxel must be slacking off. The SnapShot folder is empty!

JUST KIDDING! (Disclaimer because a few folks may take things a little too seriously).

Given that Voxel has parents, his own family, a paying job, and the responsibilities that go with all that, I'm amazed how often he cranks out his great firmware. And he finds the time to post here too.

Suggestion: Show your appreciation and send Voxel a donation.

Trying to troubleshoot this weird issue I am seeing on my R7800. Just upgraded to 1.0.2.83SF to see if that fixes anything but it is the same as the prev version - 1.0.2.82.2SF

I was trying to block some IPs from Internet and noticed that my older rules to redirect DNS, didn't seem to be working.
Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s 192.168.1.72/32 ! -d 192.168.1.15/32 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.15:53

So then I checked what rules were in the PREROUTING chain, and I get an error
Code:
root@R7800:/$ iptables --list PREROUTING
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.

Then I tried to dump all the rules, and that too gives an error
Code:
root@R7800:/$ iptables --list-rules
Can't find library for target `TRIGGER'
-A loc2net root@R7800:/$

Even iptables-save doesn't seem to be working
Code:
root@R7800:/$ iptables-save > /tmp/iptables.test
Can't find library for match `dnshijack'

I am sure my rule to reroute DNS was working before on earlier firmwares. Any ideas?

Also, at times I see this error popup on my SSH session. It has also started recently and I only noticed first a few days ago.
Code:
Could not connect to 127.0.0.1:9000

This maybe related, but I had started to get weird errors on the Kamoj Add-On, and so did uninstall it recently before updating to 1.0.2.82.2SF

Last edited:
I am not sure if it’s known issue or one time occurrence. I was trying to switch off internet for my repeater and mobile nothing happens but while I was connected to repeater and switched back to 7800 I can’t access even the router via nighthawk forget about internet. Does Internet off is like block the device from accessing or just block internet access . Now only way I can access is access from ap and repeater working fine as that clearly implies not blocked from access but I can’t access router from mobile app when connected to the router WiFi even though internet is turned on

Trying to troubleshoot this weird issue I am seeing on my R7800. Just upgraded to 1.0.2.83SF to see if that fixes anything but it is the same as the prev version - 1.0.2.82.2SF

Hi nitant,

I was trying to block some IPs from Internet and noticed that my older rules to redirect DNS, didn't seem to be working.
Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s 192.168.1.72/32 ! -d 192.168.1.15/32 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.15:53

So then I checked what rules were in the PREROUTING chain, and I get an error
Code:
root@R7800:/$ iptables --list PREROUTING
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.
With this command you add a rule to the nat table and then you try to list that rule but on the main iptables table,
try with this command instead:
Code:
root@R7800:~$ iptables -t nat --list PREROUTING
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination
REDIRECT   udp  --  anywhere            !R7800                udp dpt:domainUNKNOWN match `dnshijack'  redir ports 53
dnshijack is for redirecting 'routerlogin.net' to internal R7800 web interface

Then I tried to dump all the rules, and that too gives an error
Code:
root@R7800:/$ iptables --list-rules
Can't find library for target `TRIGGER'
-A loc2net root@R7800:/$

Even iptables-save doesn't seem to be working
Code:
root@R7800:/$ iptables-save > /tmp/iptables.test
Can't find library for match `dnshijack'
Some iptables modules are closed source from Netgear and created by net-wall binary.

Long time ago I prepared some patch for iptables v1.4.10 to process these rules iptables-1.4.10-netgear-patch (at least don't fail at listing them, some are based on source from other netgear router), it must be adapted for recent version of iptables.

Code:
I am sure my rule to reroute DNS was working before on earlier firmwares. Any ideas?

DNS queries are on UDP protocol but your rule target TCP protocol

Hope it will help

Long time ago I prepared some patch for iptables v1.4.10 to process these rules iptables-1.4.10-netgear-patch (at least don't fail at listing them, some are based on source from other netgear router), it must be adapted for recent version of iptables.

Interesting!

Would be great if that patch could be applied to @Voxel firmware. iptables works well, but the fail at listing with -S is annoying, forcing to use -L to see all table rules.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!