What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.83SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi nitant,

With this command you add a rule to the nat table and then you try to list that rule but on the main iptables table,
try with this command instead:
Code:
root@R7800:~$ iptables -t nat --list PREROUTING
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination
REDIRECT   udp  --  anywhere            !R7800                udp dpt:domainUNKNOWN match `dnshijack'  redir ports 53
dnshijack is for redirecting 'routerlogin.net' to internal R7800 web interface

Some iptables modules are closed source from Netgear and created by net-wall binary.

Long time ago I prepared some patch for iptables v1.4.10 to process these rules iptables-1.4.10-netgear-patch (at least don't fail at listing them, some are based on source from other netgear router), it must be adapted for recent version of iptables.

DNS queries are on UDP protocol but your rule target TCP protocol

Hope it will help

Thanks a lot. Guess I was getting worked up about nothing!!

I can not access to this options anymore?

1617095274236.png

I turned off my router yesterday (R7800 on V1.0.2.83SF) and when I turned it back on, the router had reset (wifi name now shows NETGEAR03-5G and NETGEAR03). I tried connecting to Wifi via my phone and could not connect to the internet. I of course restarted my Verizon Fios ONT battery box and the router to see if that would fix it, but it didn't help. I am pretty sure the Netgear router is the problem, because I am connected to the internet directly from the ethernet port from the ONT box into the house with my laptop.

I tried doing the routerlogin.net on my phone to try and configure the settings on the Netgear router, but it asked me for router mode vs access point mode and would not let me get past setup because it could not reach the internet. I held the "reset" button on the Verizon router as well as my Netgear router hoping that might do something, but it seems like nothing changed.

Verizon Fios Gigabit from street -> ONT Box -> Ethernet port -> R7800 (one port is connected to ethernet in from ONT and the other is connected to my switch)

R7800 -> TP Link TL-SG108 8-port switch -> Verizon Fios router (connected to coax for tv guide menus)

I am going to try and connect the ethernet cable I have currently connected to my laptop to my R7800 router and see if the current cable somehow went bad or something. Worth a try I guess. I didn't touch any of the cables, or do anything to cause the issue.

I turned off my router yesterday (R7800 on V1.0.2.83SF) and when I turned it back on, the router had reset (wifi name now shows NETGEAR03-5G and NETGEAR03). I tried connecting to Wifi via my phone and could not connect to the internet. I of course restarted my Verizon Fios ONT battery box and the router to see if that would fix it, but it didn't help. I am pretty sure the Netgear router is the problem, because I am connected to the internet directly from the ethernet port from the ONT box into the house with my laptop.

I tried doing the routerlogin.net on my phone to try and configure the settings on the Netgear router, but it asked me for router mode vs access point mode and would not let me get past setup because it could not reach the internet. I held the "reset" button on the Verizon router as well as my Netgear router hoping that might do something, but it seems like nothing changed.

Verizon Fios Gigabit from street -> ONT Box -> Ethernet port -> R7800 (one port is connected to ethernet in from ONT and the other is connected to my switch)

R7800 -> TP Link TL-SG108 8-port switch -> Verizon Fios router (connected to coax for tv guide menus)

I am going to try and connect the ethernet cable I have currently connected to my laptop to my R7800 router and see if the current cable somehow went bad or something. Worth a try I guess. I didn't touch any of the cables, or do anything to cause the issue.

This has little to do with the firmware. I suspect you have one of those newer models that use Macronix NAND Flash chips. They're known to be defective hardware-wise and reset their config if you reboot or turn on/off/back on the router.

Also, best configuration is done using the Web UI of the router. Don't do firmware updates with apps or over wifi too, unless you like to live dangerous

This has little to do with the firmware. I suspect you have one of those newer models that use Macronix NAND Flash chips. They're known to be defective hardware-wise and reset their config if you reboot or turn on/off/back on the router.

Also, best configuration is done using the Web UI of the router. Don't do firmware updates with apps or over wifi too, unless you like to live dangerous
I have restarted this router almost every week (or more often) and this is the first time I have had an issue with it. Have always run Voxel's builds since then and it seems like post #58 is having the same issue. I update builds using either my phone or desktop via Chrome (routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1).

I can't seem to get into the router management page via my laptop when connected via Wifi :/
I restarted everything several times, checked all ethernet cables, and every time it shows the same page (screenshot attached)
I can't get past the page after this where I am prompted to set a router password and security questions. It doesn't let me submit for some reason.

I am currently posting via laptop connected directly to my ethernet in (from Fios ONT box)

Is the next step trying to connect my laptop to my R7800 (wired) and hoping that somehow fixes the issues I am having configuring the router via wifi? Doesn't seem as if being connected via a wired connection will fix this issue (over wireless), but I will try it.
Ethernet in -> R7800 -> Laptop

Attachments

• R7800.png
    R7800.png
    245 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Use your Verizon Fios router and connect your R7800 as a AP, cant you do that?

Verizon FiOS works by using fiber optic cables that runs to an external ONT box that sits discreetly outside of your home.

Because of the ONT box you do not need a modem to get internet in your home, BUT you need to have a FiOS compatible router to have wireless connectivity.

Last edited:
I'll try it. Not sure why I put the verizon router (old) behind the switch and the R7800 and didn't set up the R7800 as an AP. Haven't really done much research into networking and only happened to find Voxel's firmware when I was looking to try and reduce buffer bloat a couple of years ago.

Verizon FiOS works by using fiber optic cables that runs to an external ONT box that sits discreetly outside of your home.

Because of the ONT box you do not need a modem to get internet in your home, BUT you need to have a FiOS compatible router to have wireless connectivity.
Yes, but the thing I am wondering about is why did it suddenly stop working yesterday evening when it had been working fine for years? I think I have been running 1.0.2.83SF for at least two weeks now and I have not changed any ethernet cables or settings so that is why I ask.

Is there a benefit to running the ethernet in to the old fios router instead of through the R7800 and having everything behind that? If I had to guess, I put the R7800 in router mode with the fios router behind the switch that was connected to the R7800 just because the R7800 was newer. The Fios router is an Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

I had FIOS when it was first rolled out and for many years (on and off) after that. The initial runs were using CAT5 from the ONT and you can use any router providing you didn't need TV service. You needed the Actiontec router to provide TV listings to the box (at least you did back then.) I never had FIOS TV service, so I didn't care. My routers always worked fine. The tech installed the Actiontec. I got the WAN MAC and removed the Actiontec router. I then connected my personal router in its place. It wouldn't work until I cloned the Actiontec MAC on my router. This works fine, but there is no feature to "release" the MAC address in the firmware of the non-Actiontec routers. You'd have to connect the Actiontec and use the release feature to swap routers.

I eventually switched to a competitor, then back to Fios. I sprung for Gigabit. They came to my house and swapped the guts of the ONT as mine was now obsolete. They told me for the high-speed connection, they HAD to run CAT5 as the coax was speed limited. I had no issue since that's how mine was always wired. I have no idea if new gigabit installs require Ethernet.

A call to FIOS support to release and renew the connection with the Netgear router connected might help. I believe this is automated now.

I had FIOS when it was first rolled out and for many years (on and off) after that. The initial runs were using CAT5 from the ONT and you can use any router providing you didn't need TV service. You needed the Actiontec router to provide TV listings to the box (at least you did back then.) I never had FIOS TV service, so I didn't care. My routers always worked fine. The tech installed the Actiontec. I got the WAN MAC and removed the Actiontec router. I then connected my personal router in its place. It wouldn't work until I cloned the Actiontec MAC on my router. This works fine, but there is no feature to "release" the MAC address in the firmware of the non-Actiontec routers. You'd have to connect the Actiontec and use the release feature to swap routers.

I eventually switched to a competitor, then back to Fios. I sprung for Gigabit. They came to my house and swapped the guts of the ONT as mine was now obsolete. They told me for the high-speed connection, they HAD to run CAT5 as the coax was speed limited. I had no issue since that's how mine was always wired. I have no idea if new gigabit installs require Ethernet.

A call to FIOS support to release and renew the connection with the Netgear router connected might help. I believe this is automated now.
My house has a lot of trees around it so I barely get 1 bar of signal. If I were on a call on mobile data and went in the basement it would probably drop. Even if I walked outside, the other person would probably have issues hearing me (I might cut in and out). Verizon did lend me a network extender (uses wired internet connection to give better mobile data signal for phones not connected to wifi/wifi calling).

I did switch the ethernet in to enter my old fios router, then connected the Verizon router to my switch. The switch is connected to my R7800..

My network extender is allowing me to type this up on my phone on mobile data (since network extender now works), but the R7800 wifi isn't connected to the internet (will try doing the setup again after this post).

I think my experience with Verizon fios install was the same a few years ago. They switched out coax cable for ethernet due to speeds needed for gigabit. I still have the coax connected to my fios router because (I think) that is how my stp box gets the Verizon info for the program menu. Plus the coax line is there already so why not...

This is one option the FIBER comes into the FIBER BOX on the wall.
Then one connects from the FIBER BOX to a GATEWAY WAN for incoming Internet, forward from GATEWAY LAN to a VLAN SWITCH for Internet.
From FIBER BOX to VLAN SWITCH for the IPTV (do NOT connect IPTV to the GATEWAY, IF the GATEWAY goes down INTERNET/IPTV goes down as well). When connected IPTV direct from FIBER BOX to VLAN SWITCH, IF Internet goes down on GATEWAY LAN, IPTV will still working.

1617129897240.png

Last edited:
This is one option the FIBER comes into the FIBER BOX on the wall.
Then one connects from the FIBER BOX to a GATEWAY for incoming Internet, forward from GATEWAY to a VLAN SWITCH for Internet.
From FIBER BOX to VLAN SWITCH for the IPTV (why one not connect to the GATEWAY for IPTV, is IF GATEWAY goes down INTERNET/IPTV goes down as well. Now just Internet goes down and IPTV will work)

View attachment 32600
Very helpful! This is my current setup. Switched according to your suggestion to have ethernet in go into Verizon router first, then switch R7800 to AP.

So I connected to fios router, but R7800 doesn't show up on nighthawk app when connected to R7800 wifi, or when I am on mobile data.

Is there a way to downgrade to the version before 1.0.2.83SF if I cannot access the router web login page because the setup cannot complete? Same error in my post #65 attachment

I tried holding down the reset button on the R7800 for seven seconds, but couldn't get past the setup. I power cycles and unplugged and replugged every ethernet cable. Honestly don't know what to do at this point.

Screenshot in order of what happens when I try to setup.

May have to start considering a new router because I don't know how to reset the router past holding the reset button, how to get past the setup, or how to downgrade without logging into the web netgear management (routerlogin.net - but have also tried the nighthawk app) :(

Last edited:
Well I ordered the fios G3100 router (monthly rental for $15/month - I can return it anytime within 30 days of connecting, or afterwards without a cancelation fee since I'm not on contract,) because apparently that should be the router you connect to directly from the ONT. My old Verizon router apparently can only do 100MBps so it is limiting my R7800 downstream?

So it should be ONT to WAN on Fios router
Fios router LAN to R7800
Then from there I'm not so sure, but...
R7800 to switch

Not really sure what the effect of connecting ethernet cables to the fios router, netgear, or switch do in terms of the network. I realize that it is downstream or sort of an umbrella, but to my understanding, everything should be able to talk to another, right? So if I have a network printer that I would want to use while connected to the R7800 wifi, would the network printer have to be directly connected to the R7800, or because the R7800 is connected to the switch, and the network printer is attached to the switch, it should all work out?

To me it looks like you are ap or repeater mode i dont think it wise to turn off or system allows by default on that mode.
I am in AP mode i was not like this on the FW before i updated, i dont turn off anything.

So I connected to fios router, but R7800 doesn't show up on nighthawk app when connected to R7800 wifi, or when I am on mobile data.

Is there a way to downgrade to the version before 1.0.2.83SF if I cannot access the router web login page because the setup cannot complete? Same error in my post #65 attachment

I tried holding down the reset button on the R7800 for seven seconds, but couldn't get past the setup. I power cycles and unplugged and replugged every ethernet cable. Honestly don't know what to do at this point.

Screenshot in order of what happens when I try to setup.

May have to start considering a new router because I don't know how to reset the router past holding the reset button, how to get past the setup, or how to downgrade without logging into the web netgear management (routerlogin.net - but have also tried the nighthawk app) :(
Try to enter you ISP Router/Gateway and in there you should see your R7800 new IP if its in AP mode.
Or just connect your R7800 to your PC by TP cable and enter it by default IP.
Now go into the setting and turn on the AP mode and make your settings and then reboot the Router after that connect it to your LAN port on your fios router.

I dont know how your FIBER box look like, but the fiber goes into the box.
From the FIBER box like in my picture you see ports, i choose the RED port (Internet).
I connect it to my GATEWAY WAN port, from the GATEWAY LAN port connect to your R7800 LAN OR to VLAN Switch. Try from your Router Lan port to your R7800 Lan port first.

The IPTV goes from my FIBER box into the VLAN Switch, one need to config the VLAN in none-tag and tag ports with the ID for internet, IPTV, VOIP and so on if one has them (Internet, IPTV, VOIP).

1617195853788.png

Last edited:
Hi Voxel,
Yes its strange, i try to reboot and then to resets and re-config the whole thing if not helping.
Unfortunately it's a common problem to lose radio when updating firmware. Netgear/Voxel same issue.
Ever tried the kamoj add-on, and it's wifi supervision?
Or try this from a command prompt:
Code:
   wlan down;wlan up;for i in 1 2;do { [ "$(dni_wlan radio 11a -s)" != "ON" ] || [ "$(dni_wlan radio 11g -s)" != "ON" ]; } && wlan toggle; done
If not helping read the kamoj FAQ.txt and to the "better factory reset" described there.
Good luck!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!