What's new

D-Link DIR-882 AC2600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
dlink_dir882_product.jpg
D-Link's DIR-882 AC2600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router is a surprisingly good router for the money.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

The current known security issues have already been addressed...

Thanks for the review. Kind of disappointing 5Ghz range. Was MU-MIMO not tested? I went over the review twice and did not see anything. I have to mention that the Netgear R7800 that you mentioned in the beginning of the review is listed at $130 for a certified refurbished unit on Amazon. After reading the review, I'd rather go with that...

Was MU-MIMO not tested? I went over the review twice and did not see anything.
Page 4, paragraph right before Closing Thoughts.

I am not testing MU-MIMO on a regular basis. It does not provide benefit for the majority of users.

If you can get an R7800 cheap, go for it. I just published test results for it using the Revision 10 process.

Last edited:
Same here. They've issued a few FW releases for that series router so thats a closed issued now.

Nice. I have DIR-890L. Ty

Thanks for getting the scoop on the true DIR-878 capabilities.

It's interesting that D-Link claims "80/160 MHz Support" on the product page. The superscript "2" seems to point to the footnote on the Specs page that says "2. Latest software and documentation are available at http://support.dlink.com." We'll see if a future update actually brings support.

Last edited:
This thread is about the 882...
typo?

Thanks for getting the scoop on the true DIR-878 capabilities.

It's interesting that D-Link claims "80/160 MHz Support" on the product page. The superscript "2" seems to point to the footnote on the Specs page that says "2. Latest software and documentation are available at http://support.dlink.com." We'll see if a future update actually brings support.

I stand corrected.

Please explain so we know specifically what you are referring to.

I think that's likely a generalization at some point.

D-Link has a good rep for HW, but their root software base has been problematic over the years - things might have changed, as last time I checked was late 2016.

I think that's likely a generalization at some point.

D-Link has a good rep for HW, but their root software base has been problematic over the years - things might have changed, as last time I checked was late 2016.

Indeed. I was generalizing. They've had such a bad rep these past few years when it comes to security. I should have probably thought that everything would have been patched up by now.

I presume they are not the only ones to have security issues. They seem to be trying though.

It will be nice to see this review against other routers on Mediatek MT7621A platform (CPU MT7621A + 5G-MT7615 + 2.4G-MT7615)

One that is popular here is the new Linksys EA7500-AH V2 which has 3 external antenna and a internal one. Tests on Koolshare a chinese site looks impressive. Hope it gets a review here.

May not be by SNB. Maybe SNB will review the Meditek routers though...

It will be nice to see this review against other routers on Mediatek MT7621A platform (CPU MT7621A + 5G-MT7615 + 2.4G-MT7615)

One that is popular here is the new Linksys EA7500-AH V2 which has 3 external antenna and a internal one. Tests on Koolshare a chinese site looks impressive. Hope it gets a review here.

Anyone know if there is a way to confirm that the 878 is utilizing all 4 radios?

I installed ddwrt and the wireless status shows the following. Maybe I'm not sure where to look? Is there a place to test? Thanks!

Chipset:
MT7615 802.11ac
Radio
Radio is On
Mode
AP
Network
AC/N-Mixed
SSID
Gin&Juice5
Channel
36 (5180 MHz)
TX Power
100 mW
Rate
1560 Mb/s
Encryption - Interface wl1
Enabled, WPA2 Personal

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!