What's new

DDNS constantly updating

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thedarkness

Occasional Visitor
Hello!
I've moved to a new house and new ISP provider, just reconfigured the WAN settings.
Since then I see the DNS plugin updating every 5-10 minutes.

Bash:
Feb 15 10:06:47 rc_service: dhcp6c 1313:notify_rc restart_ddns
Feb 15 10:06:47 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart ddns)
Feb 15 10:06:47 start_ddns: update CUSTOM , wan_unit 0
Feb 15 10:06:47 start_ddns: Clear ddns cache.
Feb 15 10:06:47 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/ddns-start (args: <My IP Placeholder>)
Feb 15 10:06:47 inadyn[1322]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Feb 15 10:06:47 inadyn[1322]: Guessing DDNS plugin 'default@cloudflare.com' from 'cloudflare.com'
Feb 15 10:06:47 inadyn[1322]: Update forced for alias <my.dns.placeholder>, new IP# <My IP Placeholder>
Feb 15 10:06:50 inadyn[1322]: Updating cache for <my.dns.placeholder>
Feb 15 10:06:50 ddns: Completed custom ddns update
Feb 15 10:14:17 rc_service: dhcp6c 2295:notify_rc restart_ddns
Feb 15 10:14:17 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart ddns)
Feb 15 10:14:17 start_ddns: update CUSTOM , wan_unit 0
Feb 15 10:14:17 start_ddns: Clear ddns cache.
Feb 15 10:14:17 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/ddns-start (args: <My IP Placeholder>)
Feb 15 10:14:17 inadyn[2306]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Feb 15 10:14:17 inadyn[2306]: Guessing DDNS plugin 'default@cloudflare.com' from 'cloudflare.com'
Feb 15 10:14:17 inadyn[2306]: Update forced for alias <my.dns.placeholder>, new IP# <My IP Placeholder>
Feb 15 10:14:21 inadyn[2306]: Updating cache for <my.dns.placeholder>
Feb 15 10:14:21 ddns: Completed custom ddns update
Feb 15 10:21:47 rc_service: dhcp6c 3138:notify_rc restart_ddns
Feb 15 10:21:47 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart ddns)
Feb 15 10:21:47 start_ddns: update CUSTOM , wan_unit 0
Feb 15 10:21:47 start_ddns: Clear ddns cache.
Feb 15 10:21:47 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/ddns-start (args: <My IP Placeholder>)
Feb 15 10:21:47 inadyn[3147]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Feb 15 10:21:47 inadyn[3147]: Guessing DDNS plugin 'default@cloudflare.com' from 'cloudflare.com'
Feb 15 10:21:47 inadyn[3147]: Update forced for alias <my.dns.placeholder>, new IP# <My IP Placeholder>
Feb 15 10:21:50 inadyn[3147]: Updating cache for <my.dns.placeholder>
Feb 15 10:21:50 ddns: Completed custom ddns update

I see dhcp6c, so I guess might be related to IPv6: my previous ISP supported IPv6 with a 6rd implemnetation, the current one is native.

I have not configured the Cloudflare DDNS to be IPv6 too.
What should I check? To be honest I don't know where to start. It just keeps updating.

Is it really unsolvable as this post claims?

Last edited:
~~~
I have not configured the Cloudflare DDNS to be IPv6 too.
What should I check? To be honest I don't know where to start. It just keeps updating.

Is it really unsolvable as this post claims?
AFAIK (I made that post) unless you're going to compile and then use your own modified firmware version, you still can't alter the coding that's identified in that post / thread, which is the cause of those logged items... (unless your own setup is very different than normal) Here's a quick sample that I took just now:
Feb 15 21:25:11 inadyn[27388]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Feb 15 21:35:12 inadyn[29999]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Feb 15 21:45:12 inadyn[32610]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Feb 15 21:55:12 inadyn[2814]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Feb 15 22:05:12 inadyn[5440]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Feb 15 22:15:12 inadyn[8060]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Feb 15 22:25:12 inadyn[10671]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.

AFAIK (I made that post) unless you're going to compile and then use your own modified firmware version, you still can't alter the coding that's identified in that post / thread, which is the cause of those logged items... (unless your own setup is very different than normal) Here's a quick sample that I took just now:
Hello, I wasn't expecting your answer here.

My setup is pretty standard. My IPS uses IPv6 and I also use DDNS as you.

So have you actually modified the firmware to remove the inadyn output? It still doesn't solve the root cause of being triggered every 5/10 minutes, though.

Additionally, this issue did not occur with my previous ISP which did use 6rd.

Wait. I'm confused.
If you've Native IPv6 from your ISP, why do you need DDNS? does your v6 delegation from the ISP change/rotate that much? (does it change at all? I can't see why it should...)

Wait. I'm confused.
If you've Native IPv6 from your ISP, why do you need DDNS? does your v6 delegation from the ISP change/rotate that much? (does it change at all? I can't see why it should...)
My provider offers a dynamic IPv4 and a static IPv6.
I need a DDNS for IPv4 :), in fact it's the only DDNS option I configured.

So have you actually modified the firmware to remove the inadyn output?
No! ;) You may have misread the posts I think? That's a valid fix suggestion and that ^ is still the only answer AFAIK with the current firmware releases. This may change with any future firmware releases.
It still doesn't solve the root cause of being triggered every 5/10 minutes, though.
Re-compiling the firmware with the mods mentioned, definitely would, but see above. Nobody AFAIK has actually done that yet (or wants to take on doing that either - me included!)
Additionally, this issue did not occur with my previous ISP which did use 6rd.
Yep, it will dependent on how the IPv6 service is provided to your router by your ISP
AFAIK at the time of making this post, IPv6 can't be received via PPPoE on practically all Asus routers.
Again, this may change with any future firmware releases too.

Wait. I'm confused.
Correct, apart from... if you do have a 'Native' IPv6 service from your ISP ( my current set up is in this post ) then it's quite possible that your IPv6 address changes every time your router is re-booted even though your static IPv4 address doesn't. That's certainly the case with my setup (see link above - why)

Your ISP is providing you with an IPv6 service & you've got an active DDNS Client (^ your post above) Those regular log entries: ** -- Dynamic DNS update client AFAIK are triggered having an IPv6 service / live DDNS Client combination (!) The relevant coding, is shown in those previous links / threads. Out of interest, are these 2 pages complete? /Advanced_IPv6_Content.asp & /Main_IPV6Status_Content.asp

OK, so what on your network "gets confused" when your ISP rotates your connection through its v4 pool? (I'm just trying to understand why you "need" a fixed v4 WAN addy and can't skip DDNS entirely)

AFAIK at the time of making this post, IPv6 can't be received via PPPoE on practically all Asus routers.
Well, my new provider uses PPoE for WAN and I get IPv6 via DHCP-PD.
Correct, apart from... if you do have a 'Native' IPv6 service from your ISP ( my current set up is in this post ) then it's quite possible that your IPv6 address changes every time your router is re-booted even though your static IPv4 address doesn't. That's certainly the case with my setup (see link above - why)
Yes, I have a native IPv6, but according to my ISP:
- IPv4 is dynamic
- IPv6 is static

Your ISP is providing you with an IPv6 service & you've got an active DDNS Client (^ your post above) Those regular log entries: ** -- Dynamic DNS update client AFAIK are triggered having an IPv6 service / live DDNS Client combination (!) The relevant coding, is shown in those previous links / threads. Out of interest, are these 2 pages complete? /Advanced_IPv6_Content.asp & /Main_IPV6Status_Content.asp
Yes, they are! I am on a dual stack with native IPv6.
OK, so what on your network "gets confused" when your ISP rotates your connection through its v4 pool? (I'm just trying to understand why you "need" a fixed v4 WAN addy and can't skip DDNS entirely)
No, I made this post because DDNS client is triggered every 5-10 minutes, but my IPv4 is changed only when the Router or the ONT/Fiber Converter are rebooted.

I can't skip DDNS entirely because my IPv4 address isn't static, to get that I should pay more :)

This is why I'd suggested that you could post 'sanitised' views of those IPv6 specific pages in a previous post...

You'll have already seen that there is no PPPoE option for IPv6 from Asus - yet - as this is a 'future' update...
Well, my new provider uses PPoE for WAN and I get IPv6 via DHCP-PD.
Presumably, on here: /Advanced_IPv6_Content.asp You're now using: Native | PPP | DHCP-PD Enabled right?
Yes, I have a native IPv6, but according to my ISP:
- IPv4 is dynamic
- IPv6 is static
However, you do have the option of Static IPv6 under Connection Type on that same page, which...IF your ISP is correct / advising you correctly, should function perfectly. Have you tried it yet? If so what happened? Also, have you looked yet to see iF, your IPV6 WAN address, does change (when using your current setup, not with the Static IPv6 option above ^) after, you've re-booted your router? It's shown here: /Main_IPV6Status_Content.asp

Presumably, on here: /Advanced_IPv6_Content.asp You're now using: Native | PPP | DHCP-PD Enabled right?
Totally correct!

have you looked yet to see iF, your IPV6 WAN address, does change (when using your current setup, not with the Static IPv6 option above ^) after, you've re-booted your router?
Tested now and WAN address doesn't change. This is what I expected since my ISP claims to provide a static IPv6 to me.

Looks like Windows devices rotate their IPv6 address, instead others devices keep the same address. Is this normal? I expect IPv6 device addresses to be static too, otherwise I can't create a AAAA record to expose my server over IPv6.

Tested now and WAN address doesn't change. This is what I expected since my ISP claims to provide a static IPv6 to me.
That's a positive start ;) What about your use of the Static IPv6 option question below? Did you also try this?

....you do have the option of Static IPv6 under Connection Type on that same page, which...IF your ISP is correct / advising you correctly, should function perfectly. Have you tried it yet? If so what happened?

Looks like Windows devices rotate their IPv6 address, instead others devices keep the same address. Is this normal? I expect IPv6 device addresses to be static too, otherwise I can't create a AAAA record to expose my server over IPv6.
Back to why I'd suggested that you could post 'sanitised' views of those IPv6 specific pages in a previous post... but this ^ effectively depends on how you have set up your own IPv6 "Lan" and how often your devices connect / disconnect to it etc. My own IPv6 choice is Stateless (pic) so all devices have a variable IPv6 address. You could use Stateful and therefore manage your IPv6 "Lan" addresses differently, if you want to.

However, to get back to your original post, again AFAIK this issue is triggered by having an IPv6 service / live DDNS Client combination - as explained further in post #8 above. Have you tried a simple test of disabling the DDNS Client on here: /Advanced_ASUSDDNS_Content.asp then re-booting your router and re-examining the logs? If it IS as expected, then that might help you decide to go for a static IPV4 address to...

Attachments

• SS.jpg
    SS.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 114
Finally FWIW @thedarkness here's a sanitised screen grab of the other, of those 2 pages previously mentioned. You can see the relevant IPv6 LAN details will be configured to suit your own desired setup, in-line with your choice of Stateless / Stateful and all the configs made after that. DNS settings not relevant here, but mine is Cloudfare (as you can see) but it's also DNS-over-TLS (DOT) which works perfectly on IPv4 & IPv6

Attachments

• ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 123
That's a positive start ;) What about your use of the Static IPv6 option question below? Did you also try this?
No I haven't, but I guess won't change much.

My own IPv6 choice is Stateless (pic) so all devices have a variable IPv6 address. You could use Stateful and therefore manage your IPv6 "Lan" addresses differently, if you want to.
I didn't know about this feature. Thank you! I will definitely enable it.

Attached the sanitized screenshots.
but mine is Cloudfare (as you can see) but it's also DNS-over-TLS (DOT) which works perfectly on IPv4 & IPv6
I configured DOT in WAN settings for both IPv4 and IPv6. In IPv6 I set the router's link local address as DNS server. That's what the documentation says.

Attachments

• 2022-02-22 17_36_14-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - IPv6 Network Information.jpg
    2022-02-22 17_36_14-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - IPv6 Network Information.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 2022-02-22 17_34_44-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - IPv6.jpg
    2022-02-22 17_34_44-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - IPv6.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 117
Stateless v6 with DoT makes for good anonymity/pseudonymity. If that's important to you, better (IMO) is running your own caching recursive DNS - check out unbound.

EDIT- I'm such a strong believer in it, I wanted people to be able to easily research it themselves, so here's a link from the people who wrote unbound for the ease of your consideration:

Last edited:
No I haven't, but I guess won't change much.
That should be the case, but please post the results if/when you do
I didn't know about this feature. Thank you! I will definitely enable it.
Yep, there's lots of different schools of thought online, on this specific choice!
Attached the sanitized screenshots.

I configured DOT in WAN settings for both IPv4 and IPv6. In IPv6 I set the router's link local address as DNS server. That's what the documentation says.
That makes sense, although, if you've already added both IPV4 and IPv6 DNS servers on here: /Advanced_WAN_Content.asp - DNS-overTLS Server List (as I have) it doesn't appear to matter that much (for IPv6) in the end. To be 100% sure, you can check for any DNS leaks / Full DNS-over-TLS etc via many different external sites afterwards, plus directly on your router as detailed in this thread

The only real, remaining question, related to your original post / question is this one from earlier:
However, to get back to your original post, again AFAIK this issue is triggered by having an IPv6 service / live DDNS Client combination - as explained further in post #8 above. Have you tried a simple test of disabling the DDNS Client on here: /Advanced_ASUSDDNS_Content.asp then re-booting your router and re-examining the logs? If it IS as expected, then that might help you decide to go for a static IPV4 address to...

That should be the case, but please post the results if/when you do

Yep, there's lots of different schools of thought online, on this specific choice!

That makes sense, although, if you've already added both IPV4 and IPv6 DNS servers on here: /Advanced_WAN_Content.asp - DNS-overTLS Server List (as I have) it doesn't appear to matter that much (for IPv6) in the end. To be 100% sure, you can check for any DNS leaks / Full DNS-over-TLS etc via many different external sites afterwards, plus directly on your router as detailed in this thread

The only real, remaining question, related to your original post / question is this one from earlier:
I don't have the time to reboot and test now, but I'm sure it matches the issue you reported, therefore still needs a proper fix.

@thedarkness FWIW and to be 100% honest, I only noticed this by pure chance.... :D

Having done lots of config checks / double checks, plus two, small resultant changes when going through all of the recent Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware upgrades, including all of the alpha and beta versions etc. I'm now running 386.5_0 which is the best ever, for me so far!

Assuming that you are using IPv6 / IPv6 DDNS (as we've stated in this thread already) then what I've noticed, is that the option that you choose, does appear to switch those repetitive log entries (those that are mentioned in your opening post & afterwards on here) On or Off.

i.e. Repetitive Log Entries Of: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client

Selection Of Retrieval Choice: Method to retrieve WAN IP: External OR Internal
On this GUI page url: /Advanced_ASUSDDNS_Content.asp

This functionality is covered in this section on this specific Merlin's Wiki page, but there's no reference to the repetitive log entries (presumably, 'cos it's a DDNS provider variable?)

Since when this became available, I've always used External, hence I've always had the same repetitive log entries that you have, but as part of enhancing the service I get from No IP DDNS, I altered this setting to Internal and boom! All of those log entries cease as a result. ( @RMerlin Just FYI as you have posted previously on the other ^ connected thread)

No IP DDNS now provide a One Year Trustcor Standard DV SSL Certificate which is included for FREE for all of their DDNS Accounts. It's very easy to add and then, via the simple, effective add-on that's mentioned in this helpful post, you can indeed, then use your DDNS name as the FQDN:8443 to reach your router via https locally, which is what Asus have steered everybody towards, by default anyway now, but... You can do this without the error warnings that you will receive, if, you just use the IP address e.g. 192.168.1.1:8443
Yes, this ability does still work perfectly, if, as expected, you have selected No for the Enable Web Access from WAN on your /Advanced_System_Content.asp GUI page url.

The IPv6 DDNS full functionality still hasn't been fully resolved yet by Asus in their own latest firmware releases, thus by definition, not by Asuswrt-Merlin either, but as and when it is, that will be the icing ion the cake, as everything else (for me) is now pretty much perfect.