What's new

DDNS custom script

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cowst

Hi,
My malfunctioning ISP modem just got replaced by their horrible connect box router.
I think it doesn't work in bridge mode, so I have NAT behind NAT for my N66.
So my asus ddns now gets the internal ip and the vpn server is not reachable anymore.

Just to be sure I understood my options.
I have to move from asus ddns to another (probably I will go for DuckDns).
Create a custom script in ddns-start (I'll use the one provided in wiki) and replace the WAN ip with one fetched on the fly.
Is this correct?
Is the gui taking care that the custom script is being called periodically at ban-safe intervals? (as it was doing with the asus.com selection)

Then I'll have to port forward the openvpn port in the crappy router.
Change the vpn server address to the duckdns address in the clients.

Any change in vpn server itself in the n66?

Yes, I saw some solutions, but the procedure I posted is based on the one from Merlin's wiki, and if that is exactly the proper solution for my specific problem, I would prefer to stick to what the router FW recommends :)

Germany, Unitymedia cable 120mbit.
I needed over one year for them to come here and acknowledge what I said from the very beginning, that the modem was broken.
They replaced it with new hw, and I don't really want to deal with them again if I can work around it.

I also wanted to know what "Forced refresh interval (in days)" does.
Is that just a safeguard so a DNS association to a fixed IP won't expire?
If that is the case, it implies that the script would not send an update in case there is no IP change, but that means that it takes the WAN IP into consideration (or a saved var), which is internal and static in my case, so I must be missing something here.
Anyway having a custom script to update the DNS entry and then forcing a bogus WAN value after 21 days seems unlikely.

@RMerlin could you clarify please?

The router will only update your DDNS registration if the WAN IP has changed. Some providers will deactivate accounts that don't get at least one update per month, hence that setting that will force an update every X days even if the IP hasn't changed to prevent account deactivation.

Ok, thanks, that is what I thought.

But then, in the wiki there are examples for custom scripts to be used with double NAT (actually with duckdns I don't need to find the ip in advance), but normally in those situations the internal wan doesn't change.

So isn't the ddns-start kinda useless here?
I am afraid I have to use some startup script to add a cron job, right?

The router will only update your DDNS registration if the WAN IP has changed. Some providers will deactivate accounts that don't get at least one update per month, hence that setting that will force an update every X days even if the IP hasn't changed to prevent account deactivation.

Is the watchdog able to recognize the change of public ip?
Because the asus wan stays always on 192.168.0.10 in my case.

Sorry, I misunderstood your original query. You will indeed be responsible for checking yourself for any IP change when in a dual NAT situation. That means setting up a cron job to periodically check it, and if it changed then trigger your ddns script.

If the WAN IP doesn't change the script won't be triggered until the specified refresh time. In your case you probably will have to create a cru job that runs the DDNS update every 5 mins or so, assuming your DDNS provider allows it, otherwise you'll have to heavily script it to check for external IP changes first.

Yes, thanks everybody, I just need to figure out how to use in RAM variables and I should be fine.
Perhaps the link on first response had an example of that.