What's new

DDNS not working after firmware update RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

legolas

New Around Here
For some reason, I cannot get either firmware versions 386.1 nor 386.1_2 to work with my DDNS. Specifically, the DDNS Registration Result shows as Authentication Failed for the server, WWW.NO-IP.com. Thus, I have to use version 384.19 which still works for me. Please advise. Thank you.

For some reason, I cannot get either firmware versions 386.1 nor 386.1_2 to work with my DDNS. Specifically, the DDNS Registration Result shows as Authentication Failed for the server, WWW.NO-IP.com. Thus, I have to use version 384.19 which still works for me. Please advise. Thank you.
Might be time to do a Hard Factory Reset ( https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/ ) and manually configure. Please, do not use saved settings from a prior firmware version!
My DDNS and Lets Encrypt works well to freedns.afraid.org

What does your system log shows?

Something similar was happening to me trying to connect to DNSOMATIC. Tried everything. Then, I changed my DNS-over-TLS Server List settings (on WAN/Internet Connection tab) from Cloudflare to Quad9 and it then worked fine.

Something similar was happening to me trying to connect to DNSOMATIC. Tried everything. Then, I changed my DNS-over-TLS Server List settings (on WAN/Internet Connection tab) from Cloudflare to Quad9 and it then worked fine.
I don't see any option to change DNS-over-TLS Server List settings in WAN > Internet Connection. Which router are you using?

I don't see any option to change DNS-over-TLS Server List settings in WAN > Internet Connection. Which router are you using?
You probably have DNS Privacy Protocol set to none. Anyhow, try changing your DNS servers to another provider and see if that matters.

What does your system log shows?
Feb 17 16:08:13 start_ddns: update WWW.NO-IP.COM default@no-ip.com, wan_unit 0
Feb 17 16:08:13 disk_monitor: be idle
Feb 17 16:08:13 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart nasapps)
Feb 17 16:08:13 inadyn[2851]: In-a-dyn version 2.8.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Feb 17 16:08:13 inadyn[2851]: Update forced for alias XXXXXXX.ddns.net, new IP# XXX.XX.X.XXX
Feb 17 16:08:13 iTunes: daemon is stopped
Feb 17 16:08:13 FTP_Server: daemon is stopped
Feb 17 16:08:13 wsdd2[1754]: Terminated received.
Feb 17 16:08:14 inadyn[2851]: Fatal error in DDNS server response:
Feb 17 16:08:14 inadyn[2851]: [401 Unauthorized] badauth^M
Feb 17 16:08:14 inadyn[2851]: Error response from DDNS server, exiting!
Feb 17 16:08:14 inadyn[2851]: Error code 50: Authentication failure

Authentication failure is most likely what it says - an incorrect username or password.

Make sure your account hasn't expired. No-IP requires monthly re-activation.

I use No-IP and it works for me.

As Eric says, check your login credentials. I use No-IP (paid for) and don't have an issue on my AX88U with Merlin v386.1.2

Authentication failure is most likely what it says - an incorrect username or password.

Make sure your account hasn't expired. No-IP requires monthly re-activation.
I checked all these things and everything is up to date and it still doesn’t work. It’s only working on 384.19 for me.

I got it to work now. I retyped in my login and password and now it's working fine. Thank you everyone.