What's new

DDWRT/OpenWRT/Tomato on TM-AC1900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So, here's the dilemma. Although discussion of loading DD-WRT or Tomato or other non-ASUS derivative firmware is fine, but with a TM-AC1900 running TM firmware, the usual way to do that is to convert it to an ASUS RT-68U first. TMo firmware won't let you flash non-TMo firmware. Also you won't get direct access to the boot loader without direct ssh or telnet login capability to Linux. Again, not supported by recent versions of TMo firmware. The process to install the older TMo firmware is part of the banned discussion. So you must go elsewhere to find it.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be a dilemma.
Requesting guidance to either:
Downgrade to firmware TM firmware 1703 to enable SSH (nothing unethical in this)
or
Find an alternative way to flash DD-WRT (eg hex edit similar to my old D-link)

No need to step into "red-tape" RT-AC68U conversion for flashing DD-WRT once having SSH available.

Shouldn't be a dilemma.
Requesting guidance to either:
Downgrade to firmware TM firmware 1703 to enable SSH (nothing unethical in this)
or
Find an alternative way to flash DD-WRT (eg hex edit similar to my old D-link)

No need to step into "red-tape" RT-AC68U conversion for flashing DD-WRT once having SSH available.
I hope your TM-AC1900 isn't running their 376.3199 firmware. If so - it is a lot harder. Otherwise, it is a simple process to boot the router into the mini-CFE recovery or use the ASUS recovery PC app to load 1703.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope your TM-AC1900 isn't running their 376.3199 firmware. If so - it is a lot harder. Otherwise, it is a simple process to boot the router into the mini-CFE recovery or use the ASUS recovery PC app to load 1703. Just follow the BayAreaTechPros instructions up till that point. No need to spell it out here.

Unfortunately it is on 376.3199...
That's why I posted here.

I just didn't expect the red tape (& reasoning behind it)

Unfortunately it is on 376.3199...
That's why I posted here.

I just didn't expect the red tape (& reasoning behind it)
I see. That is definitely an issue we can't cover on SNB. It was ASUS's "punishment" for having the gall to install their firmware on a TMo router. It seems that even stock TMo firmware auto-updates to this version after a period of time while connected to the internet.

Last edited:
Anyway I managed to downgrade my 2 cellspot routers to 1703 (Thanks @Ronald Schwerer @Grisu).
All I needed to do is press 3 buttons (Reset/WPS/Wifi) when powering on, & just keep pressing the reset while flashing.
In the process:
- No illegal activities were engaged.
- No EULA's violated.
- No animals were harmed.
Nice. I guess DD-WRT doesn't need the expanded 64MB rootfs so TM 376.1703 is all you needed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!