What's new

Dear NAS & Cloud Mfr's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GGW

Occasional Visitor
I need disaster backup for my home NAS. Not backup. Not archiving. But, disaster backup. I have about 300gb of critical data, mostly family photos and a few gb of other stuff. I am not a business so I do not need business level services nor the pricing of them like ReadyNAS Vault. If it takes me a month or 2 or 3 for initial upload that's fine so I don't need to take a lot of your bandwidth. I don't even need frequent downloads. A NAS will handle 99.9% of my backup/recovery/archive needs. I just need an online solution in case my house burns down or something else completely takes out my entire NAS.

I don't need immediate restore except for maybe a very few small files like Quicken. Otherwise if it takes me a few months to re-download my family photo's after our house burns down that's fine so I don't need high bandwidth here either. I have the better photo's on smugmug anyway. Perhaps you could charge me $150 + $1/Gb to dump the rest to a drive and send it to me if my house burns. Insurance might even cover that for me so let's say $3/gb.

I just need something like Carbonite, ElephantDrive, or Mozy home editions but for my NAS. I'd even be willing to pay a $75/yr premium. But I'm not willing to pay the over $1k annual premium for business services I don't need. I know you've heard this before, but just thought I'd add my name to the chorus.

Thanks for listening (or not).