What's new

Detection of Power Outage to initiate proper shutdown on QNAP TS-459 PRO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ldesmar

Occasional Visitor
Hello to all QNAP and other NAS Users,

Am looking for some advice to protect my recent purchase from possible problems resulting from sudden power outage. I have just recently ordered a QNAP TS-459 PRO and am waiting for its delivery now. In the meantime, I also wanted to decide on a proper UPS to protect the NAS.

I read that some NAS'es can be interfaced with the UPS device to detect the power outage and initiate an elegant shutdown of the NAS before the battery runs out. I would be most interested to incorporate that into my SOHO network.

Can anyone suggest some UPS models that could achieve the above? Is-there a specific technical reference to look for in a UPS model that defines this interface so that it would work with the TS-459 PRO ?

Any suggestions or pointers will be welcome.

Here is an update to my earlier post.

It looks like the "compatibility list" posted on the QNAP Web-Site does not show every/all possible compatible models and generally refers to the UPS units under their "Family Name" rather than by each possible product number. I found out that this can be quite confusing for "newbie's" like me trying to properly match compatible devices.

In any case, I did some research and found out that other users did not have any problems using APC products belonging to the "RS family" (where the part number actually starts with "BR" followed by other identifiers).

I ended-up buying the BR1300LCD model (which falls under the "Back-UPS RS" family from the APC Web Site). I did a quick test to make sure the USB interface would properly shut down the QNAP TS-459PRO after cutting the power to the UPS... and all worked well! The QNAP initiated a shut down after 5 minutes (configurable) of power outage. :)

Unfortunately, I now have a different issue to resolve. The USB Cable that shipped with the UPS device is only 6 ft long .... and the space that I have for the final location of the UPS versus the NAS requires a 12 ft cable!

Am now looking into alternate cable options to link these 2 devices without having to change walls or mounting spaces :( At least I know that the communication is "compatible" between the 2 devices; even though the specific model is not shown on the QNAP Compatibility List.

Thanks for your help :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!