What's new

DGL-4500 range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jjk454ss

New Around Here
I am looking to upgrade my router to try and get the best range. Right now I have a Linksys WRT160N, but I am looking at the D-Link DGL-4500. Most of what I can find about the performance is the throughput, which makes it look quite a bit better. This should effect the range I would guess, but what should I look for if range is my biggest concern? My DSL here is slow, only 512Kb, is this going to make a difference, like a better router won't help anyway?

I am looking at the DGL-4500 because of a great price I can get on it, but would look at other options also. I have really wanted and Apple Time Machine, but not sure if that is worth the cost, or how the wireless performs.

Also, on a side note, can I upgrade the wireless in my Macbook to a dualband N adapter? Do they make an upgraded chip for that. It is a one year old Macbook, not a Pro.

Have you looked at the Throughput vs. Path Loss curves in the Wireless Charts. Both products are in there.

The plots show that the DGL-4500 is better than the WRT160N on downlink, but about equal on uplink. Note, however, that different wireless adapters were used.

In practical use, you might not notice much difference between the two products, however.

Doubtful that you can upgrade your Macbook to dual-band. Would likely be up to Apple to offer a solution.

Have you looked at the Throughput vs. Path Loss curves in the Wireless Charts. Both products are in there.

The plots show that the DGL-4500 is better than the WRT160N on downlink, but about equal on uplink. Note, however, that different wireless adapters were used.

In practical use, you might not notice much difference between the two products, however.

Doubtful that you can upgrade your Macbook to dual-band. Would likely be up to Apple to offer a solution.

OK, thanks for the info. Maybe I will look at other solutions to try and get some better range. Any suggestions? I wish the wrt160n could accept better antennas.

One advantage of the DGL-4500 is that you can change the antennas. The problem is finding higher-gain, dual-band antennas.

Simple solutions are best. If you can move the router, you might be surprised at how much that can help.