What's new

Diminished Performance Problems -- 386.2_6 RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CrunchyInside

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

Using a RT-AC5300 I'm currently on 386.2_6 but started seeing this problem a few revisions back. Short version: my performance is down to only 1/3 of its capacity. I have gigabit ethernet and I'm getting ~330Mbps up and down. I did a full factory reset and the performance shot right back to where it was supposed to be at roughly ~980Mbps up and down. Then I restored my CFG and JFFS backups and the problem returned. I've tried peeling away one Entware-related script at a time but it hasn't done much (Getting rid of Skynet gave me back about 90Mbps).

I've had the same collection of scripts (Diversion, Skynet, SCMerlin) running forever and hadn't changed anything other than keeping up to date with firmware revisions.

Anyone else seen this problem and have suggestions? I know I could get a bunch of the features back if I stuck a Pi on the network with the Asus back on the factory BIOS, but I really like just having the router handle it all.

you should not restore you config. if all is OK when you clear nvram restoring config you put same rubbish shirt on it. This is the reason when you update soft and anything is wrong you should clear nvram and set up all manually.

it is a bit strange on this forum (compering to fresh tomato one where dev write do not even start any post about bug/ issues if you did not clear nvram and did not put everything back manually).

especially that you confirmed that is OK before you restore your config :(

Here's an update on a finding. I took the advice and did a fresh install following a restore. Built up everything from scratch, and within a week the problem returned where it seemed I was rate limited at a cap of 200Mbps U/D.

I did this three more times (over a series of three weeks), each time installing fewer and fewer features. Finally, I decided to stop enabling auto-reboot, which I had been doing through the web console (not the CLI scripts). A week went by - performance stayed good. Another week went by so I enabled more features; still stable. Finally I reenabled auto-reboot, but this time using the reboot scheduler script. The script has run, the router rebooted, but performance has **not* diminished.

My conclusion is that something is wonky with the reboot scheduler built in through the Administration tab, "Enable Reboot Scheduler".

HTH.

Hi everyone,

Using a RT-AC5300 I'm currently on 386.2_6 but started seeing this problem a few revisions back. Short version: my performance is down to only 1/3 of its capacity. I have gigabit ethernet and I'm getting ~330Mbps up and down. I did a full factory reset and the performance shot right back to where it was supposed to be at roughly ~980Mbps up and down. Then I restored my CFG and JFFS backups and the problem returned. I've tried peeling away one Entware-related script at a time but it hasn't done much (Getting rid of Skynet gave me back about 90Mbps).

I've had the same collection of scripts (Diversion, Skynet, SCMerlin) running forever and hadn't changed anything other than keeping up to date with firmware revisions.

Anyone else seen this problem and have suggestions? I know I could get a bunch of the features back if I stuck a Pi on the network with the Asus back on the factory BIOS, but I really like just having the router handle it all.
This has been debunked numerous times. Two factors that impact or degrades GIG speed connections is AI-Protect and QoS. AI-Protect will impact the speeds as observed via the router, while QoS mainly impacts the speeds observed by the clients.

To eliminate your speed issues you first must withdraw from the bottom disclaimer ~
1628553550585.png

Next Make sure all QoS related functions are turned off~
1628553606101.png

Next disable AiProtect ~

1628553659540.png

After all these options are disabled. It is recommended to completely turn off your Router, and then turn it back on.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear it's been debunked numerous times. I had no idea it had ever come up before.

Just for the record, I do not use QoS. I do have AI Protect enabled and have had it for years including now. Maybe correlation is not the same as causation, but I'm only seeing degraded speeds if I enable automatic reboot via the WebUi. I was using the reboot script in amtm for years with no issue. The problem started and ended with my using the WebUI.

Debunked or not, I'm not using it now and my speeds persist beyond reboots and I have no intent of trying the WebUI reboot mechanism again.

I'm glad to hear it's been debunked numerous times. I had no idea it had ever come up before.

Just for the record, I do not use QoS. I do have AI Protect enabled and have had it for years including now. Maybe correlation is not the same as causation, but I'm only seeing degraded speeds if I enable automatic reboot via the WebUi. I was using the reboot script in amtm for years with no issue. The problem started and ended with my using the WebUI.

Debunked or not, I'm not using it now and my speeds persist beyond reboots and I have no intent of trying the WebUI reboot mechanism again.
Using the WebUI reboot must do something similar to the router that using QoS does. (probably turning off part of the native hardware acceleration some how). What do your speed test look like when conducted on the router?
1628554282824.png

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!