1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Disabling Firefox's automatic switch to DoH

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by RMerlin, Sep 10, 2019.

1. AntonK

AntonK Senior Member

Yes, I'm in the U.S.

2. Makaveli

Makaveli Very Senior Member

Thanks that is turned off by default for me.

3. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

I don't know the details, you'd have to ask the Firefox devs.

Vexira and AntonK like this.
  4. DonnyJohnny

DonnyJohnny Very Senior Member

it is better to set it as 5. By your choice and not default by browser.

network.trr.mode
    set which resolver mode you want.

0 - Off (default). use standard native resolving only (don't use TRR at all)

1 - Race (removed)

2 - First. Use TRR first, and only if the name resolve fails use the native resolver as a fallback.

3 - Only. Only use TRR. Never use the native (after the initial setup).

4 - Shadow. (removed)

5 - Off by choice This is the same as 0 but marks it as done by choice and not done by default.

Kingp1n, Vexira, Makaveli and 2 others like this.
  5. bits

bits Regular Contributor

DoH is currently supported and preferred by Chrome, Firefox and Curl. That is support from basically everybody that matters for nearly all platforms. The only notable exception is Apple, but they often lag with new standards.
    DoH is going nowhere anytime soon. I expect the shift to DoH for most https users in the world to be rapid and complete within 12 months.

Vexira likes this.
  6. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

That still doesn't validate it as being a good design, or a good idea. Maybe once people start getting burned by it they will come back to their senses, and leave name resolution duties into the hands of the system resolver.

And at least Chrome devs had enough common sense to realize that it should only be automatically implemented as an upgrade, not enforced by switching to a completely different resolver than what the system is configured to use.

Kingp1n, Vexira, gfondeur and 4 others like this.
  7. gfondeur

gfondeur Occasional Visitor

This it's getting interesting..............

8. Skruf

Skruf Occasional Visitor

Hey,

It's not just the browsers... Mozilla's Thunderbird has the same setting/option...

Tools... Options... Advanced... Network & Disk Space tab... Settings button for Connection.

Fun video to watch:

Best.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Makaveli and Zastoff like this.
  9. Mutzli

Mutzli Senior Member

10. Mutzli

Mutzli Senior Member

With the above changes coming do any of you use a proxy firewall like IPFire to manage internet traffic instead of the router based solution?

11. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

The problem is, how do you explain a technical problem to a bunch of politicians who barely know how to read their emails? The issues behind Firefox's plans for DoH are highly technical. I doubt a politician would be able to understand that "it will break CDNs performance in some scenarios". So, the lobbyists tried to dumb it down, adding a layer of half-truths in the mix to "scare them good".

To be honest, DoH is NOT a political issue. The ISPs tried to make it one (for personal reasons, mind you, not for the greater good of their customers), and are failing at it.

Vexira, jsbeddow, MDM and 3 others like this.
  12. dave14305

dave14305 Very Senior Member

Vexira likes this.
  13. Makaveli

Makaveli Very Senior Member

14. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Vexira, Grisu, netware5 and 3 others like this.
  15. dave14305

dave14305 Very Senior Member

I don't see how all the Enterprise customers will stand for the potential loss of DNS control within corporate networks. They have strong-armed Microsoft to keep supporting old OSes for years beyond belief. Hopefully they'll have the same clout to ensure it doesn't become more of a free-for-all than DoH already is.

The article does say that DoT is still "on the table" for Microsoft, which is promising (once they get spanked by their largest customers).

Vexira likes this.
  16. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

"me too" has been Microsoft's strategy in every aspect of their business for many years now IMHO. Every time they've tried to "lead" they've shot themselves in the foot. So now they just copy their competitors hoping for a slice of that pie.

They won't. And to be fair I think it more or less says so in that article: "We believe device administrators have the right to control where their DNS traffic goes." In a business/enterprise scenario the "administrator" is the IT department and the end user doesn't have the ability to change their DNS settings.

Vexira, jsbeddow and dave14305 like this.
  17. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Pretty sure a Group Policy will give network admin control over that feature.

Vexira, Makaveli and dave14305 like this.
  18. nlurker

nlurker Occasional Visitor

Is it likely/possible that Roku and other devices will implement DOH, making it impossible for me to block ads on them?

19. consorts

consorts Senior Member

L&LD likes this.