What's new

Disk Benchmark feature request

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Robert Giuffre

Occasional Visitor
I haven't seen this anywhere in the most current firmware, but it would be really cool to be able to have the router run a read/write benchmark to the attached storage. I am getting horrible transfer speeds on an RT-AC3100 with the most current firmware. It's an SSD attached with a SATA-III to USB-3 adapter. The SSD gets around 250 MBs/sec read/write when attached to a PC. I am getting around 30MBs from my PC directly connected to Ethernet Port#1 on the router. The only other option I can think of to help this would be to attach a NAS to the router and share the drive(s) from there. I would have hoped the SSD connected directly to the router would have much better throughput. It's a 1 TB SSD drive, formatted as NTFS, shared through Samba. SMB bottlenecking is an issue, but there are only 3 options for formatting the drive. FAT, NTFS, and HFS. I don't know if FAT is true FAT, or is it FAT16, FAT32, etc... Since it's a 1 TB, I chose NTFS.

That is all the RT-AC3100 can do. A disk benchmark isn't needed either, there are no routers that can do the full speed of USB 3.0 yet, let alone what an SSD can do.

If you want SSD-like speeds, you need a router (or switch) and a NAS with 10GB Ethernet ports available for each and at least one more available 10GB port for the computer/device you will be transferring to. Even then, small files will still be effectively slowed down by the LAN overhead. Large files will be too, but not as much.

The bottleneck is the CPU, not the disk.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!