What's new

Diversion Diversion installed fresh, not blocking any ads?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cick3

Occasional Visitor
Hey,

I recently updated my AC-68U to the latest stable Merlin release and decided to also re install a fresh version of Diversion.

The installation went fine and no errors have arisen, however - it simply does not block any ads!

I use the predefined large list and tested manually blocking a domain, i can still visit the domain without problems!

The log doesn't even register me visiting that domain.

Help?

Screenshot_2021-09-12-12-08-32-81_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12~2.jpg
Screenshot_2021-09-12-12-09-59-74_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12~2.jpg

Alright, so that's done, forcing router DNS as you can see in the screenshots above.

Rebooted my device and still, no ads get blocked.

Any other ideas?

Delete the 8.8.8.8 entrys, that should fix it.
You are now still sending 8.8.8.8 besides the router IP as DNS server
Also have a look where you still see the adds, Diversion has some domains whitelisted so this site for example stil show adds.

1631444753697.png

Update: seems it only doesn't work on chrome for Android, other browsers on the same device gets rerouted properly. Does chrome natively use Googles DNS these days?

Check your Private DNS settings on the Android device?

Also worth setting in router:
Wan> Prevent client auto DoH = ‘YES’

Chrome may well natively use Google DNS. I don’t use Chrome, so unsure of this.

I did all the suggestions and also Chrome had a setting for "secure DNS" in the client, i unchecked this and now it seems to block ads successfully. Thanks guys!

Delete the 8.8.8.8 entrys, that should fix it.
You are now still sending 8.8.8.8 besides the router IP as DNS server
This is not true. Those custom fields have no impact unless one of the Custom modes is selected in DNSFilter.

This is not true. Those custom fields have no impact unless one of the Custom modes is selected in DNSFilter.

My bad then, i always delete those entrys and Diverison always worked for me.
Checked my Chrome and i have private DNS still turned on.
Not sure why his results behave differently

We've got several things going on here, one being Chrome/ChromeOS/Android are all different things.

In Chrome, there is a setting for private DNS that allows you to select a custom provider, like Cloudflare, or "your current provider". The first bypasses the router setting and the second uses it, but only for Chrome.

In Android, there is a similar setting but it is "custom dns provider hostname" or "automatic". I assume it operates similarly, but it is global.

ChromeOS also has a similar setting but is global.

For all of them, though, this is DoH and the designated server may or may not support it. So I have this On on all devices but using "automatic" or "your current provider" and Diversion works as intended.

Hi LC
Any ideas on the error received below when trying to send a test mail through diversion. This error was not present priorto upgrading to 4.2

bad decrypt
4148600832:error:06065064:lib(6):func(101):reason(100):NA:0:
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:01 --:--:-- 0
curl: (67) Login denied

✖ sending testmail failed

Note the curl: error above and check your settings

OK - reentered password in option 6:-edit password fixed the issue.

Which concludes that your device(s) do not use the router for DNS.
Make sure they use the routers IP and not google or some other external provider.
See here: https://diversion.ch/faq-reader/diversion-is-installed-and-i-still-see-ads.html

Hi. I used Diversion in the past and strayed for a while. I'd like to set it up again however I cannot get it going. In DNS Redirection I have it set to router. Checking ipconfig my DHCP server is the router's IP. I tried using filling in 192.168.1.1 as my DNS but it did nothing. I am using speedtest.net as my test page. I am using the large blocking file.

The ad counter does move.

I missed something - yet again......

thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!