What's new

DIY VMserver and NAS build -

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mergwyn

Occasional Visitor
I currently have a ReadyNAS NV+ that has worked well but that I have now decided to replace as it is too slow. I've decided not to buy an off the shelf NAS but to build my own. I originally wrote about this here (http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=5923) and have moved my thinking on based on that feedback. My requirement has shifted a bit as well, in that I am now planning to build a VM server, with one of the primary virtual machines to be a NAS.

My proposed build is:

• Lian Li PC-Q25B, £92
  • OCZ 120GB m4 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive, £68
  • Intel Desktop Board DH77DF Media Series, £99
  • Intel Core i5-2390T, £158
  • Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3, £46
  • disks from my existing NAS
  • ESXi 5.0
  • OS Ubuntu Server
  • Total, £463 (so far!)

I still have to pick out a power supply - any recommendations for a quiet PSU?

I will install ESXi on the SSD and also install the virtual disk for the Ubuntu server running ZFS. I will dedicate 5 disks to this VM via RDM. This drives the choice of the CPU as being the lowest TDP CPU that supports VT-d. Will I be able to use passive cooling via a heat sink with this CPU or should I install the stock CPU fan?

I plan to use some of the capacity on the the SSD for 2ARC and ZIL caches. Is it OK to provision a virtual disk for this, I figure the performance hit will be very small – is this sensible?

I may also provision my domain server from the SSD, but other than that the NAS VM will then provide the storage either via NFS or iSCSCI for any other VMs I need.

The motherboard only has 4 SATA ports, and the case will take up to 8 disks of which I am planning to use 6 on day one. I assume that I will need a PCIe card that provides either 2 or 4 more SATA ports, but would a SATA port multiplier be an option? Is there a performance penalty in doing this? Finally, any recommendations for add-on PCIe SATA cards?

I welcome your thoughts and opinions!