What's new

Dlink DIR-878 5Ghz signal seems weak

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Toelessfoot

New Around Here
Monitoring signal strength with my 2012 Macbook Pro when I switch to the DIR-878 from another router on 5ghz the signal drops about 15dB even though they're side by side. I tried comaring to an R7000 as well as a Dlink DIR-859. Performance of the router in general isn't too bad but 5ghz range is lacking, the SSID can't be picked up at ranges where the R7000 can. Is this normal behavior for the 878?

Thanks,

What channels and location in relation to doing your tests through the network tools with MacOS?

What channels and location in relation to doing your tests through the network tools with MacOS?

5 feet away in the same room for both routers, which are side by side. The 878 was on channel 40 if I recall correctly, I'm not sure what channel the R7000 or 859 were on.

D-Link units are known to be just crap with the radio chips. Do a search and you will find nothing but complaints about that model and others.

D-Link units are known to be just crap with the radio chips. Do a search and you will find nothing but complaints about that model and others.

Ah ok was hoping it would at least match my R7000 based on the review from SNB but alas it appears its not to be, back to Amazon with ye!

Need to track down an R7800, hard to find in Canada.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!