What's new

Dns filter + NordVpn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hotsauce2007

Regular Contributor
Hi

I got the nordVpn and I really want to use it directly in asus router ( ac86u ) with the latest merlin fw, can I use the dns filter with nord? I really need to use dns filter since I have 3 Dns ( 1 for my devices, 1 for House devices, 1 for guest and friends );

Thanks

Hi

I got the nordVpn and I really want to use it directly in asus router ( ac86u ) with the latest merlin fw, can I use the dns filter with nord? I really need to use dns filter since I have 3 Dns ( 1 for my devices, 1 for House devices, 1 for guest and friends );

Thanks

Hi

no fix for this problem? =[

What is the actual problem? How is your VPN and DNS setup now?

What is the actual problem? How is your VPN and DNS setup now?

Hi

I am using the DNS filter with 3 DNS for my house, 1 for my devices ( cloud fire ), 1 dns for my home devices ( openDns with custom filters ), and 1 dns for guests ( cleanbrowsing dns kids filter )

I want to use the nord VPN inside of the router, because I just want to use ONE login from NORD and all devices will pass for the vpn before the DNS, the problem is that NORD wants me to change de DNS of the router for two dns in the ``wan`` settings, that probably will cancel my dns filter, right?

Hi

I am using the DNS filter with 3 DNS for my house, 1 for my devices ( cloud fire ), 1 dns for my home devices ( openDns with custom filters ), and 1 dns for guests ( cleanbrowsing dns kids filter )

I want to use the nord VPN inside of the router, because I just want to use ONE login from NORD and all devices will pass for the vpn before the DNS, the problem is that NORD wants me to change de DNS of the router for two dns in the ``wan`` settings, that probably will cancel my dns filter, right?
No, DNSFilter will override the WAN DNS servers that the router will use for clients’ DNS queries. The suggestion to change WAN DNS is usually to prevent any leakage of browsing data to another DNS provider.

I’m not experienced with using a VPN client on the router, but you should be fine to test either way, as long as you’re happy to send DNS queries to Cloudflare, OpenDNS and Cleanbrowsing.

If you have unexpected results, you can post screenshots of VPN client settings, DNSFilter settings, WAN DNS settings and LAN DHCP DNS settings.

I have NordVPN running on my AC86U and have a similar query to you, so I will be following this thread closely :)

Just for reference, whenever I set the DNSFilter to on, or change any of the DNS settings to YES under WAN>Internet Connection>WAN DNS Setting ... there are then several DNS leaks shown on ipleak.net that reveal my true location. This is a problem for me, as I use the VPN to be able to view geo-restricted content, such as UK television.

Here are my settings, running Nord on AC68U, never any DNS leaks:
upload_2020-1-22_11-14-2.png

upload_2020-1-22_11-12-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-22_11-11-30.png
    upload_2020-1-22_11-11-30.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 199
@Brenneke
Correct me if I'm wrong but thought setting "Connect To DNS Server Automatically" to "On" meant the router would try and get its DNS from your ISP and it's better to set it to "No".

@Brenneke
Correct me if I'm wrong but thought setting "Connect To DNS Server Automatically" to "On" meant the router would try and get its DNS from your ISP and it's better to set it to "No".
You are probably right, don't claim to be an expert, just showing what has been working for me. I set that and see how it goes. Thank you!