What's new

VPN + Diversion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BaconScout

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I recently set up VPN (nord) on my router. VPN works fine, Diversion works fine but not together.

When running via VPN adds are not blocked. Flipping device off of VPN adds are blocked

Help is appreciated.
my setup:
RT-AC88U 386.12_6 (current)
Diversion 5.1.1 (current)

VPN is set up with NordVPN in exclusive mode as I only want specific devices to utilize the VPN (two currently).

I am running DNS Director but I'm not entirely sure if its relevant to this and if so what values to put in.

1711417814694.png

1711417920521.png

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Traffic running over a VPN tunnel traffic bypasses all the controls on the router. What you are experiencing is known, and expected.

Can you elaborate?
Traffic isn't in the VPN tunnel until the router where the VPN is configured.
Based on your explanation anything that's happening in the router is going to be bypassed; QOS, firewall etc.

shouldn't it work like DEVICE (non vpn wifi) > router (services firewall etc) then VPN > cloud ?

I had same issues when i upgraded from ac86u to ax88 pro....using wireguard with torguard vpn....spent weeks knowing I had something messed up....then I finally noticed I had the dns in wireguard settings to google....changed it to 192.168.50.1...diversion now works perfect through vpn

shouldn't it work like DEVICE (non vpn wifi) > router (services firewall etc) then VPN > cloud ?
No that's not how it works.

VPN is set up with NordVPN in exclusive mode as I only want specific devices to utilize the VPN (two currently).
Exclusive mode is a DNS setting not a device setting. By setting "Accept DNS configuration" to "Exclusive" you have told the router to ignore all other DNS servers (e.g. Diversion) and only use NordVPN's DNS servers for client queries. Specific device routing is done by VPN Director (policy rules).

Untitled.png

Last edited:
No that's not how it works.

Exclusive mode is a DNS setting not a device setting. By setting "Accept DNS configuration" to "Exclusive" you have told the router to ignore all other DNS servers (e.g. Diversion) and only use NordVPN's DNS servers for client queries. Specific device routing is done by VPN Director (policy rules).

View attachment 57544
Colin, thank you.. this set me on the right path. I appreciate you taking the time to provide me with a helpful explanation!