What's new

Solved dns.msftncsi.com broken (again)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rcfw

Occasional Visitor
Hello Merlin I have an idea to put an end to this problem once and for all why don’t you add an option to add the set the Microsoft domain to the routers host file to 127.0.0.1 to prevent the router spamming requests to it since. I’ve used the method of using nram to clear the domain from the settings to stop the watch dog but not even that works anymore

Have you tried it by adding it to /jffs/configs/hosts.add? The nvram would still need to match the IP you give in your hosts file.

Hello Merlin I have an idea to put an end to this problem once and for all why don’t you add an option to add the set the Microsoft domain to the routers host file to 127.0.0.1 to prevent the router spamming requests to it since
Don't. This will break WAN detection, and next thing you know, everyone on the forums will be wasting their time trying to help people coming here to complain about how their router fails to reconnect properly when their ISP goes down, and "forgetting" to tell us that they had fiddled with that router's behaviour.

A number of the reports in the 386.4 beta cycle were due to such people who had manually fiddled with the nvram settings related to this, forcing me to implement some form of fallback handling for these cases (i.e. restoring a sensible default value if the user had wiped that default value).

Just let the router do its thing normally. It's like 200 bytes getting sent over UDP at your ISP's DNS server, it's not gonna be affecting your network performance in any way.

WAN detection has been broken after RT-AX88U_386.4_alpha2-g952c6bdecc.zip I would really like to know what changed so I can fix it myself with my dual WAN connection. I did the NVRAM fix. I wiped my device twice. Something in the code has changed that was not reported. I'm on 386.3.2 because nothing else past the alpha I post works!

Don't. This will break WAN detection, and next thing you know, everyone on the forums will be wasting their time trying to help people coming here to complain about how their router fails to reconnect properly when their ISP goes down, and "forgetting" to tell us that they had fiddled with that router's behaviour.

A number of the reports in the 386.4 beta cycle were due to such people who had manually fiddled with the nvram settings related to this, forcing me to implement some form of fallback handling for these cases (i.e. restoring a sensible default value if the user had wiped that default value).

Just let the router do its thing normally. It's like 200 bytes getting sent over UDP at your ISP's DNS server, it's not gonna be affecting your network performance in any way.
But my dns logs! /s

Despite using my rt-ax86u as an access point, dns.msftncsi.com still exists in the logs of my OPNsense box.

OPNsense Unbound Log File.png

OPNsense Gateway Monitor IP.png

Oh okay that explains why when it’s blank it still makes requests to the domain I thought my router was broken or something

No windows clients on my network. I'm using Mac.

Edit: I replaced the rt-ax86u with a switch and dns.msftncsi.com disappears from the logs.

Last edited:
Read and try this:

Read and try this:

Thank you this worked I set it to 99 seconds and now it only pings every 99 seconds :)