What's new

dns Port 53

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

macster2075

Very Senior Member
Is the best way to force users to use the dns server I have set (OpenDns) is by adding this via ssh

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)

(is that even the right iptables)?

or is there a better way?

Check out DNSFILTER on the LAN tab. Set the Global mode to Router and you’re good to go, assuming that your WAN DNS is set to OpenDNS and you have no DNS servers set on the LAN DHCP page.

The better way at least for this is available through the GUI.
LAN --> DNS Filter -->
Turn on "Enable DNS-based Filtering".
Select "Router" from Global Filter Mode.
Leave everything else blank.
Apply

I see that under Custome DNS 1 through 3 is set to 8.8.8.8.. do I delete those or leave it be?

I see that under Custome DNS 1 through 3 is set to 8.8.8.8.. do I delete those or leave it be?
Well, I believe quadruple eight is Google DNS rather than OpenDNS so perhaps you want a plan before you can decide on an action.
You are not using stubby, right?
Had you configured OpenDNS in your WAN tab?
If No and No, then perhaps clear out 8.8.8.8 and instead of selecting "Router" on LAN --> DNSFilter, choose one of the two OpenDNS options instead.

Well, I believe quadruple eight is Google DNS rather than OpenDNS so perhaps you want a plan before you can decide on an action.
You are not using stubby, right?
Had you configured OpenDNS in your WAN tab?
If No and No, then perhaps clear out 8.8.8.8 and instead of selecting "Router" on LAN --> DNSFilter, choose one of the two OpenDNS options instead.
Yup I have configured OpenDns in WAN.. the 8.8.8.8 are there by default.. so I wasn't sure If I needed to delete it or not.

EDIT
it doesn't matter which option I choose, the 8.8.8.8 are always there.

Ignore them since you didn’t select Custom 1, 2 or 3 from the drop down menu.

Yup I have configured OpenDns in WAN.. the 8.8.8.8 are there by default.. so I wasn't sure If I needed to delete it or not.

EDIT
it doesn't matter which option I choose, the 8.8.8.8 are always there.
Hold on a second, you are the person who has special rules for google and bing. So you must select "Router" and clear out the 8.8.8.8's. Otherwise, the clients use 8.8.8.8 or OpenDNS directly, bypassing your rules.
EDIT I believe @dave14305 who points out that the entries do not matter unless Custom options are selected.

ok.. Im confused haha... do I ignore or delete? hehe.. I guess if I delete it won't hurt nothing huh?
Also, I've been reading on this NAT Acceleration feature..

according to this website.. https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/
it says...
"You should generally leave the option as Auto for the NAT Acceleration in Asus Router. Since it does improve the peak connection speed of your home network’s internet service.
However, you should consider turning it off if you require any of the following features: Port Forwarding, QoS, IP Traffic Monitor, and Parental Control."

Do you guys recommend turning it off?

ok.. Im confused haha... do I ignore or delete? hehe.. I guess if I delete it won't hurt nothing huh?
It does not matter because you selected "Router", but clear them out anyway because of the distraction.

Leave NAT acceleration on Auto. It will not prevent those features from being enabled.

Also, I've been reading on this NAT Acceleration feature..

according to this website.. https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/
it says...
"You should generally leave the option as Auto for the NAT Acceleration in Asus Router. Since it does improve the peak connection speed of your home network’s internet service.
However, you should consider turning it off if you require any of the following features: Port Forwarding, QoS, IP Traffic Monitor, and Parental Control."

Do you guys recommend turning it off?

1). Delete
2). NAT acceleration will automatically be on, or off, depending what configuration options you nominate. (So far as I’m aware).

Thank you guys.. Im pretty impressed with this forum!
very quick response and great help!

Im pretty new here and getting to know this firmware.. you guys make the conversion a lot easier :)

I only have one last thing hanging out there before I am pretty much 100% done lol