What's new

DNScrypt dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Zastoff
Can I also make a suggestion. Can we have the old version of dnscrypt-proxy backup as dnscrypt-proxy.bak every time there is a new version update.
This will help us to conveniently restore back the old version of the dnscrypt-proxy and its toml by just remove and rename.

coz when there is a problem like now where dnscrypt-proxy unable to start, I have issue accessing the installer due to dns unable to be resolved.

I'll send more detailed logs once I'm able to get back on my laptop (replying from my phone for now).

Is there a terminal command to manually reinstall the previous version (2.0.39, which was rock solid) as a stop-gap?
Can u check if u have similar issue as mine with missing toml in /jffs/dnscrypt.

Sounds like when i tried it just when it was released
I restored my jffs then (rolled back to 2.0.39)
But then I read the arm binaries was updated and i retried it and it work both with old dnscrypt-proxy.toml and tested to configure new one.
(mine is running fine, just tested via my vpn-server)

Could someone please point me towards manually reinstalling the previous version (2.0.39) through the terminal? (Not from jffs backup..)

Could someone please point me towards manually reinstalling the previous version (2.0.39) through the terminal? (Not from jffs backup..)
In the installer
Edit
Think 3rd line dnscrypt_ver =2.0.39
Save
And
Code:
sh installer
Test that
(not sure it works..otherwise I'm going home soon so I can test it)
Or
Code:
As it looks now
DI_VERSION="v2.1.3"
LATEST_URL="https://api.github.com/repos/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/releases/latest"
DNSCRYPT_VER="$(curl -sL "$LATEST_URL" | grep "tag_name" | head -1 | cut -d \" -f 4)"

Change to this and save
DI_VERSION="v2.1.3"
DNSCRYPT_VER=2.0.39

Then sh installer

Last edited:
In the installer
Edit
Think 3rd line dnscrypt_ver =2.0.39
Save
And
Code:
sh installer
Test that
(not sure it works..otherwise I'm going home soon so I can test it)
Or
Code:
As it looks now
DI_VERSION="v2.1.3"
LATEST_URL="https://api.github.com/repos/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/releases/latest"
DNSCRYPT_VER="$(curl -sL "$LATEST_URL" | grep "tag_name" | head -1 | cut -d \" -f 4)"

Change to this and save
DI_VERSION="v2.1.3"
DNSCRYPT_VER=2.0.39

Then sh installer

That did the trick, along with tinkering with a couple of other lines in the installer.

Thanks again for all your work on this project @Zastoff and @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow! I'll update to the latest ver when I have a bit more time, and when our home network isn't as critically congested.

Last edited:
@Zastoff
Can I also make a suggestion. Can we have the old version of dnscrypt-proxy backup as dnscrypt-proxy.bak every time there is a new version update.
This will help us to conveniently restore back the old version of the dnscrypt-proxy and its toml by just remove and rename.

coz when there is a problem like now where dnscrypt-proxy unable to start, I have issue accessing the installer due to dns unable to be resolved.
Will talk with @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow about it and see if a backup possibility can be made.

That did the trick, along with tinkering with a couple of other lines in the installer.

Thanks again for all your work on this project @Zastoff! I'll update to the latest ver when I have a bit more time, and when our home network isn't as critically congested.
I'll retest it again when I get home (reinstalling and so on)
In the middle of the woods hunting wildboar atm ;)

Will talk with @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow about it and see if a backup possibility can be made.

@Zastoff

The problem is the space it takes up on the JFFS. Since dnscrypt-proxy is stored on the JFFS, I would not dare also make a backup of such when it is easier for a user just to straight up manually backup without having to use up JFFS spacing to do such. The design of dnscrypt installer was such that a user can install it directly on JFFS. I am cautious on what i modify since such is the case. I am not saying that I couldn't make it make a backup, I am just saying it is adding more steps and requirements to an already lengthy process. it is easier for users to just backup nvram following @Zastoff '(s) advice. Also, whenever you have an .toml.err that is technically a backup, you just have to rename it and downgrade. Did dnscrypt-proxy.toml change causing an error?

edit fixing corrections, provided by @Jack Yaz

Last edited:
The problem is the space it takes up on the NVRAM. Since dnscrypt-proxy is stored on the NVRAM, I would not dare also make a backup of such when it is easier for a user just to straight up manually backup without having to use up nvram spacing to do such. The design of dnscrypt installer was such that a user can install it directly on NVRAM. I am cautious on what i modify since such is the case. I am not saying that I couldn't make it make a backup, I am just saying it is adding more steps and requirements to an already lengthy process. it is easier for users to just backup nvram following @Zastoff '(s) advice.
You mean jffs not nvram, I think?

Yep, dnscrypt-proxy.toml is missing, and is replaced with dnscrypt-proxy.toml.err
dnscrypt-proxy.toml.err is technically a backup of your original, but an error or conflicting configuration has changed between the .toml file between versions causing an error. I have not looked into the new version to see what setting is causing you to have an issue.

The problem is the space it takes up on the JFFS. Since dnscrypt-proxy is stored on the JFFS, I would not dare also make a backup of such when it is easier for a user just to straight up manually backup without having to use up JFFS spacing to do such. The design of dnscrypt installer was such that a user can install it directly on JFFS. I am cautious on what i modify since such is the case. I am not saying that I couldn't make it make a backup, I am just saying it is adding more steps and requirements to an already lengthy process. it is easier for users to just backup nvram following @Zastoff '(s) advice. Also, whenever you have an .toml.err that is technically a backup, you just have to rename it and downgrade. Did dnscrypt-proxy.toml change causing an error?

edit fixing corrections, provided by @Jack Yaz

Thanks for the insights. Yes, renaming the toml.err back to .toml still gave the "Warning: dnscrypt-proxy is dead" log errors after a reboot.

This is what has changed
https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscryp...31c4eed#diff-f6f04170f3c6b8b556a88fa842de545c

Code:
broken_query_padding = ['cisco', 'cisco-ipv6', 'cisco-familyshield', "quad9-dnscrypt-ip4-filter-alt", "quad9-dnscrypt-ip4-filter-pri", "quad9-dnscrypt-ip4-nofilter-alt", "quad9-dnscrypt-ip4-nofilter-pri", "quad9-dnscrypt-ip6-filter-alt", "quad9-dnscrypt-ip6-filter-pri", "quad9-dnscrypt-ip6-nofilter-alt", "quad9-dnscrypt-ip6-nofilter-pri"]

the .toml file went from using double quotes here

to using single quotes in the new version changes

Code:
broken_query_padding = ['cisco', 'cisco-ipv6', 'cisco-familyshield', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip4-filter-alt', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip4-filter-pri', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip4-nofilter-alt', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip4-nofilter-pri', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip6-filter-alt', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip6-filter-pri', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip6-nofilter-alt', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip6-nofilter-pri']

this breaks users current .toml file converting it to .toml.error

Thanks for the insights. Yes, renaming the toml.err back to .toml still gave the "Warning: dnscrypt-proxy is dead" log errors after a reboot.
If you had started from a fresh .toml file issue would go away all together. or append the lines as needed and you should be able to run on updated version.

here is a complete list of recent changes as well so you can compare your .toml file. The issue involves inconsistencies between your old.toml file and their new version of the .toml file.

https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy/commits/master/dnscrypt-proxy/example-dnscrypt-proxy.toml

that is what causes the Dnscrypt installer to convert the .toml file to .toml.err because it uses dnscrypt-proxy -check .toml to verify that the .toml is compatible.

there have been several commits that may make you consider copying over any settings you want from the .err file manually, and just starting off with a new .toml file.

Code:
Not dnsdist
@jedisct1
jedisct1 committed yesterday

Use single quotes for consistency
@jedisct1

Bump
@jedisct1

Revert "Implement pN load balancing strategy (#1188)"
@jedisct1

Implement pN load balancing strategy (#1188)
@holykol
holykol committed yesterday
Commits on Mar 9, 2020

People are used to seeing the [static] section at the end
    @jedisct1
    jedisct1 committed 12 days ago

Adding the ability to do TLS client authentication for DoH (#1203)
@kev-null
kev-null committed 12 days ago

Old toml worked for me second time i tried today
But i had only static servers in that old toml if that can make the differens

Old toml worked for me second time i tried today
But i had only static servers in that old toml if that can make the differens
that is what leads me to believe it is because of changes to this line from using double quotes to single quotes, because if you use any of these servers it makes a difference.

Code:
broken_query_padding = ['cisco', 'cisco-ipv6', 'cisco-familyshield', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip4-filter-alt', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip4-filter-pri', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip4-nofilter-alt', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip4-nofilter-pri', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip6-filter-alt', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip6-filter-pri', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip6-nofilter-alt', 'quad9-dnscrypt-ip6-nofilter-pri']

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!