What's new

DNScrypt Dnscrypt Proxy Installer For Asuswrt-Merlin(Nov.)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How come? I see the manager kills other things,
Code:
killall -q -9 haveged jitterentropy-rngd rngd

1. Dnscrypt doesn't offer diversions powerful realtime monitoring/reporting features.

2. As fail-safe. On my system, Dnsmasq occasionally allows blocked domains through, whereas dnscrypt has never failed me

3. Dnscrypt processes and loads much quicker than diversion/dnsmasq, even with larger lists, saving me hours of resources and downtime without compromising security.

4. Dnscrypt allows wildcards+logging, blocking first-party tracking scripts that use dns cloaking/cnamecloaking/cname redirects. Chrome is unable to defend against these, Dnsmsasq does not either.

5. I've detected and reported thousands of zero day trackers, ads and analytics using dnscrypt's wildcard blocking+logging while using a 1.5+ million blocklist in diversion.

I'm not sure if I do. I'm good. I've already got it working. Thanks for the olive branch of helpful and eager support for your users, I am truly humbled by your character.
Wow! and it is a wonder anything gets through! I tried this once, and crashed the router big time! :eek:

Maybe you can advise the forum on how to properly overlap DNS Adblockers..

What other types of blockers are you using? Do you have overlapping blockers on each device as well? o_O

Did you just do an update?
If you really need to block something i'd try this

Hello! I am trying to install DNSCrypt but I cant get it to install. I have tried manually through SSH and with AMTM. I always get this error in the end.

What should I do?

Attachments

• 123.png
    123.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 131
Hello! I am trying to install DNSCrypt but I cant get it to install. I have tried manually through SSH and with AMTM. I always get this error in the end.

What should I do?
Something is happening on your router where dnscrypt proxy.toml is not properly being setup on your router. What model router do you use?

I already formatted my JFFS contents and installed Diversion and Skynet, since I reset my router today. I will try to install DNSCrypt tonight or tomorrow.
Okay, so the error you were seeing was indication that the .toml file did not pass the check, something must have changed recently with the default .toml file that I must take a look at. Either that, or something done in the way your particular install process bugged the installer, so maybe take screen shots of your install process kinda like a step by step that way I can replicate your process.

I already formatted my JFFS contents and installed Diversion and Skynet, since I reset my router today. I will try to install DNSCrypt tonight or tomorrow.
As a show of faith here is one install process I did using the installer. Everything appears to work as expected.

1648600834782.png

And here is one more attempt to see the installer fail.

1648601001016.png

1648601037883.png

1648601072214.png

@zer0bitz
This line indicates to me that you may be running one of the newer Routers models (a.k.a. AX56u & AX58u)?
1648601825249.png

Both of these models seems to result in this error when attempting to run dnscrypt proxy.

here is the issue that has now become locked

Last edited:
@zer0bitz
This line indicates to me that you may be running one of the newer Routers models (a.k.a. AX56u & AX58u)?
View attachment 40464

Both of these models seems to result in this error when attempting to run dnscrypt proxy.

here is the issue that has now become locked

Yes I am running the AX56U model. Thank you very much for so detailed troubleshooting! I think im going to skip using DNSCrypt, seems like too much of a hassle for me and since AX56U kernel doesnt seem to support it, I dont wanna waste my time trying to install it. Maybe in the future if these models get kernel update.

Yes I am running the AX56U model. Thank you very much for so detailed troubleshooting! I think im going to skip using DNSCrypt, seems like too much of a hassle for me and since AX56U kernel doesnt seem to support it, I dont wanna waste my time trying to install it. Maybe in the future if these models get kernel update.
Yea, it only seems to be specifically those two routers.

While I don't have a method to test it, You are welcome to test the patch I just pushed. The problem with those two models as the error suggested, they did not properly drop group privileges. This has been a known situation with Go and some linux model, but I added the capability for Dnscrypt to run without necessity to drop such privileges specifically for the two models in question. The hope being that it will run without a hitch. You are welcome to try it if you like.

While I don't have a method to test it, You are welcome to test the patch I just pushed. The problem with those two models as the error suggested, they did not properly drop group privileges. This has been a known situation with Go and some linux model, but I added the capability for Dnscrypt to run without necessity to drop such privileges specifically for the two models in question. The hope being that it will run without a hitch. You are welcome to try it if you like.
Holy smokes. It worked and installed without any errors. Working like a charm. Thank you!

Holy smokes. It worked and installed without any errors. Working like a charm. Thank you!
I introduced a new way of running dnscrypt-proxy in a way it was not previously able to on some older kernels. Do me a favor, since I have had absolutely zero time to actually test running it like this, keep an eye on your logs and your internet (dns) performance over the next week of running it, and when you get time, let me know how well it runs. Also, be sure to let me know if there are in hiccups along the way.

I introduced a new way of running dnscrypt-proxy in a way it was not previously able to on some older kernels. Do me a favor, since I have had absolutely zero time to actually test running it like this, keep an eye on your logs and your internet (dns) performance over the next week of running it, and when you get time, let me know how well it runs. Also, be sure to let me know if there are in hiccups along the way.
Few days been running it now, everything seems to be ok. Only odd thing I keep seeing is that web gui is saying disconnected for internet status, but sometime it comes back with IP and DDNS server name.

Only odd thing I keep seeing is that web gui is saying disconnected for internet status, but sometime it comes back with IP and DDNS server name.
Sounds like a false positive, or maybe your chosen servers are not always stable. Maybe try using a different load balance strategy or combination of servers (and/or relays if using relays).

Sounds like a false positive, or maybe your chosen servers are not always stable. Maybe try using a different load balance strategy or combination of servers (and/or relays if using relays).
I will try this out. What load balance strategy you recommend. I am using now the default one.

Last edited:
I cannot install DNSCrypt from the AMTM menu. After it displays the menu below, it goes back to the AMTM main menu. I am using RT-AC68U. Other scripts installed are: Skynet, Entware packages, conmon (fd and sw).

Screenshot 2022-04-28 at 9.20.11 PM.png