What's new

DnsMasq

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the reply...I guess I should have mentioned it...I found those instructions, but I am still a bit lost...I dont understand what I need to do....where do I enter those scripts or how do I even get into that section...I applogize for my lack of knowledge.
Create or edit /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf with the following contents:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
pc_append "address=/www.bing.com/204.79.197.220" $CONFIG
. /opt/share/diversion/file/post-conf.div # Added by Diversion
If the Diversion line is not there, do not add it. If it is there, do not touch it.
Make it executable "chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf"
Test change "service restart_dnsmasq"

Thanks....but I guess the first I would need to know is where do I go to create, edit or post that? What section of the router do I need to go into?

I am completely new to this firmware, so I am not familiar with it.

Maybe screeshots would help?

The address= directive is better suited in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
Simply create the file dnsmasq.conf.add in /jffs/configs/ and enter address=/www.bing.com/204.79.197.220 into that file.
Then restart Dnsmasq with:
Code:
service restart_dnsmasq
That's it.

Thanks....but I guess the first I would need to know is where do I go to create, edit or post that? What section of the router do I need to go into?

I am completely new to this firmware, so I am not familiar with it.

Maybe screeshots would help?
Oh, it is not done through the GUI, it is done via command line from an ssh client on your computer to the ssh daemon on the router.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/page-98#post-462494
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/SSHD
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

Last edited:
oh my .. no wonder I couldn't find it... Unfortunately I know nothing about ssh or how to mess with a client.
I came from Shibby Tomato where it has a section within the gui that I can just type

address=/www.bing.com/204.79.197.220
and it's done.

Here I am thinking this firmware would be easier and more user friendly than Tomato..hahah.. guess not. :)

oh my .. no wonder I couldn't find it... Unfortunately I know nothing about ssh or how to mess with a client.
I came from Shibby Tomato where it has a section within the gui that I can just type

and it's done.

Here I am thinking this firmware would be easier and more user friendly than Tomato..hahah.. guess not. :)

If I remember correctly, the firmware used to have something like that but it was a significant security issue so it was removed.

and it's done.

There's a learning curve when using Asuswrt-Merlin but it is very rewarding and support here is probably far superior than Tomato.
Not to mention the frequent firmware updates with security fixes faster than anywhere else...

If I remember correctly, the firmware used to have something like that but it was a significant security issue so it was removed.
well, it's very, very useful and handy to have.

I really like how the gui looks..very nice compared to Tomato...but, I've been noticing to accomplish simple things, it's a bit of a hassle compared to Tomato.... I guess I will keep trying it out for a few more days, but I think I will go back to Tomato...shame, I really like the look of Merlin :(

There's a learning curve when using Asuswrt-Merlin but it is very rewarding and support here is probably far superior than Tomato.
Not to mention the frequent firmware updates with security fixes faster than anywhere else...
I guess that's the case with everything haha.. do you know if there is a video on how to use an ssh client to access Merlin?
I have been looking but so far, nothing.

I guess that's the case with everything haha.. do you know if there is a video on how to use an ssh client to access Merlin?
I have been looking but so far, nothing.

Same as any other Linux based platform, just find a generic SSH guide.
Enable SSH in GUI and login using the same credentials as you do the GUI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, it's very, very useful and handy to have.

I really like how the gui looks..very nice compared to Tomato...but, I've been noticing to accomplish simple things, it's a bit of a hassle compared to Tomato.... I guess I will keep trying it out for a few more days, but I think I will go back to Tomato...shame, I really like the look of Merlin :(

I understand your dilemma. You’re lacking that bit of knowledge that allows you to interact at the command-line level. As luck woukd have it, Jack Yaz today wrote a guide for someobe with the same dificulty.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/page-98#post-462494

This guide assumes you would be using Windows (or Linux) as the source OS for communicating with the router. Even if you stick with Tomato, mastering communicating via SSH is worth knowing, so have a go at Jack’s tutorial. (“Mastering” makes it sound far more complicated than it is; you’ll be wondering what all the fuss was about.)

I understand your dilemma. You’re lacking that bit of knowledge that allows you to interact at the command-line level. As luck woukd have it, Jack Yaz today wrote a guide for someobe with the same dificulty.

This guide assumes you would be using Windows (or Linux) as the source OS for communicating with the router. Even if you stick with Tomato, mastering communicating via SSH is worth knowing, so have a go at Jack’s tutorial. (“Mastering” makes it sound far more complicated than it is; you’ll be wondering what all the fuss was about.)
Great... I will give that a try, thank you guys!

OK.. so I have installed Putty and I guess I am connected to the router...
so... I am looking at a Putty black window that says....

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 384.8-2 Sat Dec 8 18:18:10 UTC 2018
admin@RT-AC68U-B340:/tmp/home/root#

do I just paste the following script in there?

#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1

OK.. so I have installed Putty and I guess I am connected to the router...
so... I am looking at a Putty black window that says....

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 384.8-2 Sat Dec 8 18:18:10 UTC 2018
admin@RT-AC68U-B340:/tmp/home/root#

do I just paste the following script in there?

#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
As simple as possible, you can try this:
Code:
echo “address=/www.bing.com/204.79.197.220” > /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
service restart_dnsmasq
Be sure you have enabled JFFS scripts and configs in the GUI under Administration System.

I’m now uncertain of the impact of the quotation marks in echo, and I’m away from a trusty Linux system, so maybe someone will check my work.

As simple as possible, you can try this:
Code:
echo “address=/www.bing.com/204.79.197.220” > /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
service restart_dnsmasq
Be sure you have enabled JFFS scripts and configs in the GUI under Administration System.

I’m now uncertain of the impact of the quotation marks in echo, and I’m away from a trusty Linux system, so maybe someone will check my work.
I keep reading..."Create configuration file for dnsmasq"

Does that mean the there is an actual file that is created that can be edited later?...if so, where is that configuration file located and how do i access it later?

I keep reading..."Create configuration file for dnsmasq"

Does that mean the there is an actual file that is created that can be edited later?...if so, where is that configuration file located and how do i access it later?
The firmware regenerates /etc/dnsmasq.conf whenever dnsmasq restarts. Your opportunity to modify it comes from either 1) custom config files like /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add (which gets appended by the firmware)or 2) custom scripts in /jffs/scripts such as dnsmasq.postconf where you can be more creative. After you restart dnsmasq, you should see your custom changes reflected in /etc/dnsmasq.conf.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!