What's new

Do I need a QOS with 200/5 Mbps?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lepa71

I'm wondering what is the rule when I need to have QOS. I have up to 3-4 devices online at the same time. My 13-year old may play Minecraft with 2-3 friends on the custom server. My wife pretty much reads books online and some youtube videos. I work from home now but I don't use bandwidth that much.

Do I need QOS?

Thanks

You might want to try it. 5 Mbps upload is not that much. TCPIP depends on upload as well as download. Get the upload saturated and the rest of the connections will slow down.

Do I need QOS?
That's a tricky question to answer. On the face of it "no", but only you can know from your own experience. At 200 Mbps you have more than enough download capacity but the 5 Mbps upload might be an issue if you start uploading data. The real issue would likely not be overall capacity as such but the latency on your line, particularly on the upload side.

Does your child attend online classes right now? I'd be more concerned about the 5 up, just like the smart guys above are. I don't know you have anything to lose (depending on your router model) because even with Traditional QoS you should be able to still fully use 200 Mb. Colin will keep me honest on that point.

I'm running Adaptive QoS for about a week now. It seems it is more sluggish than it was without it. I don't if it has to do with acceleration maybe? I thought that when QoS is activated then it will disable acceleration. Is my assumption correct?

Is my assumption correct?
No, not if you're using Adaptive QoS. But the exact effect depends not only on the QoS type but the rules and your router model. You didn't say what router you have or its firmware version.

No, not if you're using Adaptive QoS. But the exact effect depends not only on the QoS type but the rules and your router model. You didn't say what router you have or its firmware version.
I have RT-AC68R and I'm using the latest Merlin's 384.19 version.

I have RT-AC68R and I'm using the latest Merlin's 384.19 version.
With only 5 Mbps of upload to play with I'd be inclined to leave QoS off unless you're actually experiencing a problem. If you are then you would need to tailor your QoS rules for that problem.

This is what mine says

HW accelerationDisabled - incompatible with:
It shouldn't say that, but I've seen others report that problem. Try turning off the power to the router, waiting 5 seconds and then turning it back on. See if that clears the problem.

This is what mine says

HW accelerationDisabled - incompatible with:

You need to reboot to re-enable HW acceleration.

When I enabled QoS the router did get rebooted.

However disable QoS will not automatically reboot it to re-enable HW acceleration. It only reboots automatically on enabling QoS because that's the only way to get QoS to run, while disabling it won't prevent your router from working properly without the reboot, only without NAT acceleration.

With only 5 Mbps of upload to play with I'd be inclined to leave QoS off unless you're actually experiencing a problem. If you are then you would need to tailor your QoS rules for that problem.
Honest question --
When do you need QOS? I thought QOS was more helpful with a lower upload(such as 5 Mbps) Or, is 5 too low to properly manage?
I have 100 down and 10 up. I use adaptive QOS and feel it really helps -- especially with latency and bloat.

Honest question --
When do you need QOS? I thought QOS was more helpful with a lower upload(such as 5 Mbps) Or, is 5 too low to properly manage?
I have 100 down and 10 up. I use adaptive QOS and feel it really helps -- especially with latency and bloat.
It's true that QoS is all about prioritising traffic when there is contention at a given moment in time. So generally this tends to be a bigger issue on lower bandwidth or high latency connections. However in the OP's situation it sounds like his internet usage is minimal and he wasn't experiencing any problems without using QoS. That's why I said "only you can know from your own experience".

I implemented QoS a few years ago (when I also had 100/10) because my wife and son both started watching HD streaming services and they would "buffer" a lot, especially if someone started a large download. It helped to a degree but still wasn't perfect. Shortly afterwards my ISP gave us free speed upgrades and (probably more importantly) fixed their horribly inconsistent latency issues. At that point I turned off QoS and haven't used it since.

However disable QoS will not automatically reboot it to re-enable HW acceleration. It only reboots automatically on enabling QoS because that's the only way to get QoS to run, while disabling it won't prevent your router from working properly without the reboot, only without NAT acceleration.
It did on mine.

HW accelerationEnabled (CTF + FA)

Unless you are talking about another acceleration.

It did on mine.

HW accelerationEnabled (CTF + FA)

Unless you are talking about another acceleration.

That means you never did anything that causes it to get disabled, or that you rebooted your router at some point to re-enable it.

I'm pretty sure you know how it works as you developed it. I will try it again just to make sure.
One thing I did discover is that when I try to activate Adaptive QoS I'm not able to click on the apply button. It simply does not do anything. I have to switch to Traditional QoS, apply it, and then go back and switch to Adaptive QoS and apply it. Is this a bug?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!