What's new

Do I need as switch, hub or a router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mondrin

Occasional Visitor
I currently have a wireless router conneted to my cable modem. The only thing connected to the router is my Verizon network extender. I now have to move my wireless router but need to keep the cable modem and wireless extender where they are. I can cable to the wireless router but do not want to connect the extender to it (too much exposed wiring for wife). What inexpensive solution can/Should I get to be able to plug both the router and the wireless extender into my cable modem?

Thanks!

Never use hubs! get a cheap switch. TP-Link has good and cheap ones

What make and model is your modem? If it is just a modem and not a modem/router then you will not be able to plug two things into it using a switch (unless you pay for a second IP address).

It's an UBEE cable modem provided by comcast and is not a router. It has only one outbound ethernet connection.

It's an UBEE cable modem provided by comcast and is not a router. It has only one outbound ethernet connection.

Looks like you will have to plug your extender into your router. Can you use an AV2 Homeplug powerline kit to get a connection near your extender so you don't have wires draped everywhere?

Thanks everyone for your advice. I do have some powerline adaptors which I haven't been able to try out for a different networking issue and will see if I have a free outlet for the network extender box.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!