What's new

PLC: I need a RELIABLE 3-ethernet port unit with the British plug configuration.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John A

Occasional Visitor
Hi All

I am obliged by the layout of the house to use a PLC link from the main house Gigbit Cat 5E network to the CCTV NVR in the attic.

To date I've been using TP-link TP_PA8033PKIT's kits (with the UK BS1363 3-pin plug & socket configuration) for this, and have had little or no trouble with the units with 1 or 2 ethernet ports, but I've now had THREE of the 3 ethernet port (all ports in use) units fail after various periods of time, likely through some form of overheating as I noticed that these 3 port units ran very warm.

Therefore I'm now (urgently!) looking for a 3-port unit from almost certainly another, and far more reliable, manufacturer to replace the TP-Link 3-port unit.
It:
- must have the UK 13A BS1363 mains plug configuration
- must be "compatible" with the existing 1 port PA8033PKIT unit in the attic (to which the NVR is connected)
- needs to be Gigabit as far as the wired ethernet is concerned (because of the NAS in the conservatory)
- does not need power pass through (i.e. doesn't need a mains socket on the front face)
- does not to have a very fast PLC connection because the link to the NVR runs at only around 100-120mbs (max) and there's nothing else using that link.

Thus, please can someone point me in the right direction ASAP?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Devolo seems to be common in the UK...

Heard they were a bit more expensive compared to others

- must be "compatible" with the existing 1 port PA8033PKIT unit in the attic (to which the NVR is connected)

From what I've read devolo's products have a history of being incompatible with other manufacturer's devices, and even their own. So I'd check compatibility before purchasing. The device in the previous post seems to be such an example. According to the specs it uses G.hn which is incompatible with the HomePlug AV2 your existing devices use.

Your choices are going to be very limited if you insist on a device with three ethernet ports. Whilst it might be more ugly, using a single port PLA device with a separate 4 or 5 port switch for £10 could be a more reliable solution.

From what I've read devolo's products have a history of being incompatible with other manufacturer's devices, and even their own. So I'd check compatibility before purchasing. The device in the previous post seems to be such an example. According to the specs it uses G.hn which is incompatible with the HomePlug AV2 your existing devices use.

Your choices are going to be very limited if you insist on a device with three ethernet ports. Whilst it might be more ugly, using a single port PLA device with a separate 4 or 5 port switch for £10 could be a more reliable solution.
Thx to both of you for the advice.

In fact I found the basic problem was actually another network switch between the main network upstairs and the downstairs section - should have checked it and found that duff wallwart PSU before I started mucking around with the PLC section. Nevertheless, even after replacing that, and reconnecting the PLC adapter, the link to the NVR is still running much more slowly than it was a few weeks ago:rolleyes:

So I'll try a "multi-pronged" approach to fixing the overall problems:
- Short-term, I've ordered another TP_PA8033PKIT to get the 3 ethernet ports (and likely send it back to Amazon if the medium-term solution below does work!).
- Medium term, I've already got a spare 8-port switch to try as suggested
- Longterm, and assuming we haven't moved house (as is planned), I'll look for a different make of 3-port ethernet PLC adapter that IS compatible with the TP-Link kit.

Thx to both of you for the advice.

In fact I found the basic problem was actually another network switch between the main network upstairs and the downstairs section - should have checked it and found that duff wallwart PSU before I started mucking around with the PLC section. Nevertheless, even after replacing that, and reconnecting the PLC adapter, the link to the NVR is still running much more slowly than it was a few weeks ago:rolleyes:

So I'll try a "multi-pronged" approach to fixing the overall problems:
- Short-term, I've ordered another TP_PA8033PKIT to get the 3 ethernet ports (and likely send it back to Amazon if the medium-term solution below does work!).
- Medium term, I've already got a spare 8-port switch to try as suggested
- Longterm, and assuming we haven't moved house (as is planned), I'll look for a different make of 3-port ethernet PLC adapter that IS compatible with the TP-Link kit.
PS: thinking about this again, would an earlier model from the TP-LINK range be capable of still delivering the required 100Mbs PLC link as well as GB ethernet to the conservatory NAS as, maybe, that would run a bit slower and not get so warm, and so, hopefully, be less likely to fail - and, if so, which one??

Last edited: