What's new

do transmit power settings get carried over in media bridge mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yipee Kaiyay

Occasional Visitor
i have a n66u with merlin 380.70 firmware.
currently using it as a media bridge on the 5ghz network.
i can disable the 2.4ghz radio in the standard wireless router mode and that setting carries over when switching to media mode. the 2.4ghz led on the router remains off in media bridge mode.

but do the transmit power settings also get carried over?
when i run nvram get wl_TxPower command in putty it's blank.

End users cannot modify the out power levels, it's hardcoded.

End users cannot modify the out power levels, it's hardcoded.

what about this setting? if i put tx transmit power to "power saving" in standard wireless router mode, will this setting be ignored in media bridge mode ? and would it be set to performance mode by default in media bridge mode? i wish there was an option to make these changes in media bridge mode.
a lot of wireless settings , apart from the basic, are hidden in this mode.
thanks for getting back

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5 KB · Views: 178
what about this setting? if i put tx transmit power to "power saving" in standard wireless router mode, will this setting be ignored in media bridge mode ? and would it be set to performance mode by default in media bridge mode? i wish there was an option to make these changes in media bridge mode.
a lot of wireless settings , apart from the basic, are hidden in this mode.
thanks for getting back

Right, you can reduce it based on certain steps, if your region allows it (Asus incorrectly assumed that the FCC rules prevented reducing output power, so for a while the setting wasn't available in the US).

I don't know which setting it's tied to, but it's definitely not wl_TxPower. All wireless settings are instanced, so it's more likely to be wl0_TxPower and wl1_TxPower (assuming this is the correct variable).

It was wl[0/1]_TxPower in the old days, and was an absolute power number.
Around 380 (or maybe 378) it was changed to wl[0/1]_txpower, all lower case, and is now a relative percentage of nominal.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!