What's new

Does anyone have the 160Mhz working on netgear x10 r9000 router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RebelShadow

Occasional Visitor
Ok, so here’s the deal. I have both a R7800 & R9000. Baught the R9000 because I thought it would be faster for wireless NAS file transfers. Setup on the R7800 is as follows:

Laptop adapter: Killer 1550

Router settings for R7800: Firmware is Voxel’s v1.0.2.54SF, 5G SSID separate from 2.5G, channel 5(DFS) and Enable HT160 checked in advanced wireless settings. With this setup client connects @ 1.73Gbps to 1.53Gbps depending on where I’m at in the house. Wireless works great and is very fast both on the internet & averaging 105 to 107 MBps transfers.

R900 has Voxel’s v1.0.4.5HF and has same setup and settings but will not connect at the same speeds as R7800. Max client speed is 866.70 and file transfers are around 50 to 60MBps. I have tried changing the channel several times but can’t seem to get the 1550 to connect any faster than 866.

My questing is has anyone been able to connect any faster than 866 on the R9000? Any help would be great.

Is there any real world use for 160 mhz. 80 mhz already eats up four channels. Is there any 160 mhz capable clients even out there ? I think NG may have disabled 160 in there firmware because there are connection issues with certain clients when its enabled.

What region is the router set to, and do you have the option to select either a single channel that will allow a 160MHz span with part falling into the DFS channel range, or enough channels for an 80+80MHz?

Is there any real world use for 160 mhz. 80 mhz already eats up four channels. Is there any 160 mhz capable clients even out there ? I think NG may have disabled 160 in there firmware because there are connection issues with certain clients when its enabled.

Yes, there is a real world use for 160Hmz. As stated, I transfer multi-gig video files to and from the NAS. At 160Mhz my laptop connects to the R7800 @1.73Gbps and I can transfer 2GB files @105 to 110 MBps as opposed to 50 to 60MBps. To answer your second question, yes there are 2 adapters from Intel, 1 from Killer (1550), 1 from dell and a few other but can think of their names. 30 MBps difference may not seem like much unless your are transferring files all day.

What region is the router set to, and do you have the option to select either a single channel that will allow a 160MHz span with part falling into the DFS channel range, or enough channels for an 80+80MHz?

Have not played with region settings but did see somewhere on the net to try that. Ill try and report back

So far figured you can't change region, it's looked to NA but recearching to see if there is a way to change to EU.

Yes, there is a real world use for 160Hmz. As stated, I transfer multi-gig video files to and from the NAS. At 160Mhz my laptop connects to the R7800 @1.73Gbps and I can transfer 2GB files @105 to 110 MBps as opposed to 50 to 60MBps. To answer your second question, yes there are 2 adapters from Intel, 1 from Killer (1550), 1 from dell and a few other but can think of their names. 30 MBps difference may not seem like much unless your are transferring files all day.

The Killer 1550 and Intel 9260ac are the same card, Killer doesn't make WiFi their cards or drivers they merely rebrand, the 9260ac/1550 along with its cVNO variant the 9560ac is the only one that supports HT160 at the moment. None of your other model cards would support HT160. Gives a decent boost allowing you to saturate the gigabit link to the NAS. I get 900-910 Mbps in file transfers even 15ft away through 2 walls or even 1 floor below the router, granted my house is mostly drywall/wood interior. Uploads don't really get much of a boost though in my testing. I enabled HT160 on my R7800 for transfers to ReadyNAS 524X. As for the R9000 you can enable HT160 via a workaround that requires going into your browser's dev tools where you have to make certain changes allowing you to enable HT160, I will look at the link for that and get back to you.

Note rgardless of router the 9260ac does not support split 80+80 bonding and can only do contiguous HT160 so you need to use lower channels for HT160 to work with this card.

Update:
Here is the info from a Killer rep, god knows why they use the R9000 rather than the R7800 which works out of the box and has better 5Ghz performance:

"There is a weird hack that you can use on the X10. I'm hesitant to share it, as it is very much a use at your own risk, not supported by Netgear or Killer, this may break your router, and we are not responsible for any damage that you cause if you do this situation. But basically, download firmware version 1.0.1.36 (or possibly later, but we know you can do it with this version). Using Chrome, access the router's UI, go to the Advanced Tab, click Setup then Wireless Setup, then right-click just to the right of the Region Dropdown box and click Inspect. Highlight the Dropdown and find the value “disabled=’disabled’” and delete it. The Dropdown box should now be enabled. Change it to "Europe." Now go to the Wireless Network settings, and put the router on Channel 48 and click Apply. Then go to Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings and make sure HT160 is checked, and then hit Apply if you checked it.
If the settings were applied correctly, you should see in the Information about Wireless Settings (5.0GHz)
Region: Europe
Channel 36+40+44+48(P)+52+56+60+64

Again, use at your own risk, not supported by Netgear or Killer, this may break your router, and we are not responsible for any damage that you cause if you do this.

But we were able to get well over Gigabit Wi-Fi speeds out of an X10 this way.

-- Anthony with Killer Networking"

My guess as to why its not sanctioned is that it probably doesnt leave DFS channels upon radar detection making it non conformal to regulations.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the info, it worked great. Here are some observations. The "fix" worked in the firmware version that was listed in the instructions but also work on Voxels's latest version 1.0.4.5HF as well. Maybe he can work this "fix" into his firmware? Stupid Netgear for selling a top end top of the line router that they themselves gimped.

R9000 router is now running at gigabit wifi speeds but you were right in that the r7800 is "slightly" faster but is very bursty and the r9000 while being very slightly slower is more stable, I do not have dips or drop outs while copying large files to the NAS; but still testing and need to make the decision on trading a meg or 2 for a cool butt looking router.

I connect @ 866 and get a good and contant 108MB sec wireless lan xfer speed. Maybe its a setting somewhere.

I connect @ 866 and get a good and contant 108MB sec wireless lan xfer speed. Maybe its a setting somewhere.
Impossible, 866 is the link rate, 108 MB/s (864 Mbps) means almost 100% efficiency. Real world transfer rates would be like in the realm of 65-75% at a 866 Mbps link rate at best, depending on distance/interference/obstacles. I'm guessing you mean Mbps not MBps.

My guess as to why its not sanctioned is that it probably doesnt leave DFS channels upon radar detection making it non conformal to regulations.

My guess is that it might, or might not work, so tech support isn't going to back this up - because DFS...

You mean Mbps - which is reasonable for a 2 stream 11ac connection @ 80MHz channels on 11ac

You make a good point - because there is a bug in the 802.11ac spec regarding VHT and channels beyond 80MHz

QCA checked in a fix - but that's a fix that needs to be applied across the client side - I've posted about this before, and I don't have the commit handy at the moment.

With 11ac - 80MHz is good enough - it works, it works across multiple vendors at both the SoC and OEM level - one can always play and try, but if you have problems...

R7800 uses the exact same QCA9984 WiFi chip and HT160 can be enabled out of the box without issue leading some to think the issue is with integrating the WiFi chipset with the Amazon CPU on the R9000, not sure if that's even a valid explanation though.

Last edited:
That’s what I thought but never refuted those claims as I thought I was missing something.

You mean Mbps - which is reasonable for a 2 stream 11ac connection @ 80MHz channels on 11ac
Negative. Capital B. Megabytes. I xfer large .mkv files so trust me I pay attention to the flow speed a great deal. 100g to 300g at a time. Keep in mind my destination is a Raid 0 USB. With stock firmware it tends to dip here and there but with Voxel's I see a steady over 100MB/sec. It seems to be saturating the line, and why wouldn't it. I expect it to.

If it’s MB/s then it’s nearly impossible. I assume its a reporting issue of your program or OS file manager.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!