What's new

Does changing MoCA channels provide more bandwidth?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaaQ

New Around Here
WiFi is a shared medium with a channel (a group of frequencies) having a capacity (bandwidth) determined by the protocols and modulation methods used. A shared medium means only one device (STA) can use the channel (transmit) at a time. (I'm setting aside the effect of MU-MIMO and OFDMA, which are designed to allow multiple devices to use the channel simultaneously.)

Adding another AP tuned to the same channel and close to the first AP doesn't increase capacity because when the STA checks for a clear channel both APs respond and it can only use one. Since the second AP must stay off the channel, no additional capacity (bandwidth) is provided.

If the second AP is moved far enough away from the first or tuned to a non-overlapping channel, then when the STA checks the channel, only one AP will respond. Another STA can simultaneously check the channel on the first AP and also find it clear and simultaneously use the same channel. So bandwidth/capacity is increased. Setting the APs to different non-overlapping channels has the same effect of increasing available bandwidth.

Mesh systems that do not have a dedicated radio for backhaul (AP to AP connection) contend for the same channel, so share bandwidth with STAs. Mesh systems (or multiple APs) with Ethernet backhaul can provide higher bandwidth IF each AP uses a different channel or is placed far enough away from other APs so that they don't contend for the same airtime. The Ethernet connection provides an alternate source of bandwidth that doesn't interfere with WiFi.

Would this hold true with MOCA AP units as well?
Reason I ask is because my company uses MOCA extenders, and the default setting on them is always ch6, I have always changed them to auto.

Question is, if the above holds true, would it be better to set ext1 to ch3 and ext2 to ch6 or ch11? So that both AP do not respond to the STA check? Especially if the units are not far enough away because customers in a single wide trailer think they need them?

I don't know enough about MoCA frequency and channel use to answer your question.

It is not a moca question he is asking.
And yes, the same rules apply to any APs in a shared environment.
The only reason to have APs on the same radio channel is if the are providing point to point extension ( with loss of 50 % or more bandwidth to other users attaching to the same radio) or if they are far enough away from each other so as to not overlap significantly.

If they are using moca backhaul, then it is just ordinary siting of APs. So avoid significant overlap or change the fixed channel selection. If there is no other RF competition, then fixed selection can be slightly “better”.

Thank you, yes it is moca backhaul. Would the auto function be more appropriate if the distance is not far enough, or better to set for example 3 and 9? I have one coming up with 4 extenders ordered, but have not seen the home its going in.

Sorry for my misunderstanding. Use only channels 1, 6 or 11 in 2.4 GHz. Otherwise there will be high overlap and you won't get the additional bandwidth from using different channels.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!