What's new

Does RT-AC68U support 802.11r?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beneix

New Around Here
I have an RT-AC68U that I want to put into service as a wireless access point with Ethernet backhaul to the main (wireless) router, which is running OpenWRT. It would be great to have Fast Roaming and I can get 802.11r on the main router, but does the AC68U support it? I have updated to the latest firmware but don't see any option to switch it on. I of course know that it has AiMesh, but the main router isn't Asus and I am not changing that. Does AiMesh somehow include 802.11r?

If the Asus firmware doesn't support it, I suppose putting the AC68U on DD-WRT could be a solution; I hope an OpenWRT and a DD-WRT router can speak 802.11r to each other...

(I tried searching the Asus threads for 802.11r, but it is too common/short a search term .)

Last edited:
11r must also be supported on clients. It is focused on the authentication part of the roam, which is generally not the part that takes the most time.

The RT-AC68U does support 802.11v at least, as well as 802.11k beacon request/report, both of which should help roaming.

The RT-AC68U does support 802.11v at least, as well as 802.11k beacon request/report, both of which should help roaming.
Thanks. Is that on stock, with Merlin, or both?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online