What's new

Does Smart Connect functionality extend to AIMesh nodes that don't support it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbcd

Regular Contributor
I searched the forum and I think I know the answer, but information wasn't completely clear, so I wanted to confirm with you.

If I have an RT-AX86U as a main router with Smart Connect enabled, and an RT-AC68U as an AIMesh node, will the latter get Smart Connect functionality too? If not, does it make sense to have it enabled on the main router?

Thank you.

No, the RT-AC68U does not support SC and turning it on will cause issues. I speak from experience when I had a RT-AC86U / RT-AC68U AiMesh setup.

No, the RT-AC68U does not support SC and turning it on will cause issues. I speak from experience when I had a RT-AC86U / RT-AC68U AiMesh setup.

I see. So you'd recommend turning off Smart Connect on my main router if the node doesn't support it? Or getting a node that supports it? Correct?

I see. So you'd recommend turning off Smart Connect on my main router if the node doesn't support it? Or getting a node that supports it? Correct?
Yes, that is correct. Are you using the same SSID on both wifi bands? If not, then no need to use SC.

Yes, that is correct. Are you using the same SSID on both wifi bands? If not, then no need to use SC.

I do. I'd rather not, but I have to. Don't ask...

So what exactly was the issue with using Smart Connect on the RT-AC86U with the RT-AC68U as the node? And how did you solve it, you just split the SSIDs?

I do. I'd rather not, but I have to. Don't ask...

So what exactly was the issue with using Smart Connect on the RT-AC86U with the RT-AC68U as the node? And how did you solve it, you just split the SSIDs?

The AC68U does not support Smart Connect node band steering so you must use different SSIDs for each band. If you use same SSIDs, your 68U wireless clients may not consistently connect to the preferred/best band/signal.

OE

The AC68U does not support Smart Connect node band steering so you must use different SSIDs for each band. If you use same SSIDs, your 68U wireless clients may not consistently connect to the preferred/best band/signal.

OE

Okay, but I'm curious, what happens if you have a Smart Connect-enabled main router and AIMesh nodes that don't support Smart Connect? When you enable AIMesh you lose the ability to control or monitor what's going on with the nodes, so I'm wondering if they're at least trying to get clients on 5 GHz or if Smart Connect makes no difference.

If I change the Smart Connect trigger rules, is that going to affect the nodes that don't support Smart Connect in *any* way?

On an unrelated note, how can I tell if a node is connected to the main router or another node?

Last edited:
Okay, but I'm curious, what happens if you have a Smart Connect-enabled main router and AIMesh nodes that don't support Smart Connect? When you enable AIMesh you lose the ability to control or monitor what's going on with the nodes, so I'm wondering if they're at least trying to get clients on 5 GHz or if Smart Connect makes no difference.

If I change the Smart Connect trigger rules, is that going to affect the nodes that don't support Smart Connect in *any* way?

On an unrelated note, how can I tell if a node is connected to the main router or another node?

This has already been answered here. Your AC68U does not do Smart Connect period. When AiMesh syncs same SSIDs to both of its bands, its wireless clients will experience no node band steering. To avoid any connection confusion, don't define/use same SSIDs on your AiMesh network.

The SC rules on the router can not be honored by a node that does not support SC.

Someone else with more than one remote node should answer your other question.

OE

You can certainly see it in the Asus Router app for iOS or Android. Once I had an issue with my wired connection to one of the nodes and the app was showing it connected over WiFi to the other node.
AF175B3C-CA25-4821-862E-E2BB80774661.jpeg

You can certainly see it in the Asus Router app for iOS or Android. Once I had an issue with my wired connection to one of the nodes and the app was showing it connected over WiFi to the other node.
View attachment 27978

Ok cool, I wanted to avoid using the app because I don't like 2 different ways of controlling the router conflicting with each other. But I did install it and can confirm they're both connected to the main router, phew.

This has already been answered here. Your AC68U does not do Smart Connect period. When AiMesh syncs same SSIDs to both of its bands, its wireless clients will experience no node band steering. To avoid any connection confusion, don't define/use same SSIDs on your AiMesh network.

The SC rules on the router can not be honored by a node that does not support SC.

Someone else with more than one remote node should answer your other question.

OE

I see thanks. So for routers that don't support Smart Connect, AI Mesh basically sets them up as repeaters with the same SSID for both bands. Okay.

AiMesh is just a repeater with a wireless connection.

I see thanks. So for routers that don't support Smart Connect, AI Mesh basically sets them up as repeaters with the same SSID for both bands. Okay.
No, the nodes repeat the same SSIDs as the parent. They can be the same or different. I like knowing which I'm connected, so mine are different. My parent has smart connect disabled and I see both SSIDs on the nodes.

No, the nodes repeat the same SSIDs as the parent. They can be the same or different. I like knowing which I'm connected, so mine are different. My parent has smart connect disabled and I see both SSIDs on the nodes.

I meant the nodes, sorry. And yes, disabling Smart Connect on the main router is probably a good idea if you have nodes that don't support it, but infeasible in my case, I need to keep it all on the same SSID.

Ok cool, I wanted to avoid using the app because I don't like 2 different ways of controlling the router conflicting with each other. But I did install it and can confirm they're both connected to the main router, phew.

In case of AiMesh 1.0 the app offers some more control options for the nodes compared to the Web UI. Another interesting one is that in the app you can set up a shared FTP or Samba drive attached through USB to a node.

Last edited:

Your words, not mine. All I said was use different SSIDs because you have hardware that does not support Smart Connect.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!