What's new

Does switching USB port lose settings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AppleBag

Regular Contributor
Sort of a dumb question, but, last night I wanted to try adding dual WAN (DW). I added my android phone, played a bit, it acted squirrely, so I just turned it back off.

Now, all of my forwarded ports are completely gone, and there's no way in H - E - Double Hockey Sticks do I remember offhand what they all were, and (I know) I was was a dumbarse for not doing a manual backup first. I really didn't think just turning on a built in setting would cause data loss.

During the DW testing, I moved my usb stick that was always in the USB 3 Port, over to the USB 2 port, so I could put my phone's USB cable in the faster port.

Currently, I have left my original USB stick in the USB 2 port; will this cause the port forwarded settings to be "lost"? i.e. perhaps some sort of nvram file or something on the stick, and the router not seeing them at the new mnt, or anything like that?

My router is an AC-68U.

Power off the router. Put the USB key back into the port it was in, then power it up. If it works, test that powering it off, plugging the USB key into the other port, and then power it up again still works.

If not, you may have done something else wrong too. Like unplugging the USB drive without safely removing it first. (You may have corrupted your key/install).

perhaps some sort of nvram file or something on the stick, and the router not seeing them at the new mnt, or anything like that?

First thing to check when you lose settings on AC68U and variants is the available NVRAM left. This router is on the edge.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!