What's new

Domain Name Not Appended to Exported OpenVPN Client Config (Asus Merlin AC66U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

baneofteeleh

New Around Here
So I'm using the latest version of Asus Merlin on my AC66U router. I was working on setting up the OpenVPN server tonight. I use NameCheap and the router's DDNS. The DDNS works fine, but when I use the router's OpenVPN client.opvn config export, in the config it only has the host name. So, for example (I'm using a hostname which corresponds to my apartment number so it's easy to remember which network I'm connecting to) let's say on the DDNS settings screen in my router settings I have g7895 on the Host Name field, and mywebaddress.com in the Domain Name field. When I download the client.opvn file, it only has g7895 where it should have the full g7895.mywebaddress.com.

I've searched endlessly trying to find someone else with this issue and a possible solution and haven't found anything anywhere. Has anyone else seen this problem? Anyone know how to fix it?

Here's an example of what I'd be seeing on the DDNS config page:
Namecheap DDNS Settings Example.PNG

It's a known limitation due to the way Namecheap is implemented. Just manually edit the ovpn file.

Wow. The man himself. Thanks for replying and thanks even more for the absolutely amazing firmware you've created. It's the most stable I've ever used.

Are there plans to fix this in the future or are you saying that it's not fixable because of some limitation with Namecheap itself?

It might eventually be improved, but it's currently not a priority, as it can easily be worked around by editing the exported file, and a fix would be kludgy.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Could you at least mention the issue in the documentation? It would've saved me an hour of troubleshooting if it had been mentioned in the OpenVPN or Namecheap DDNS sections.