What's new

Double NAT and In-a-dyn problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Badstraw

New Around Here
Hey guys !

I’ve been trying to find information about double NAT issues without luck, I have an asus AC86U and my ISP doesn’t let me set the modem in bridge mode.

I haven’t tried the script posted a year ago because I read that I can use DDNS with Method to retrieve WAN IP to “external” in Merlin.

Code:
14 15:59:10 inadyn[3186]: In-a-dyn version 2.5 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Aug 14 15:59:11 inadyn[3186]: Update forced for alias myrouter.ddns.net, new IP# 189.Xxxxxxxx
Aug 14 15:59:12 inadyn[3186]: Updating cache for myrouter.ddns.net

As you can see it retrieves the real ip but on the main interface of the router I’m still seeing the 192.168.1.94 LAN ip.

I’m also trying to access to my modem externally with this address:
https://myrouter.ddns.net:8443/

But it doesn’t work.

I would appreciate any help

... but on the main interface of the router I’m still seeing the 192.168.1.94 LAN ip.
That's because that is its IP address.

I’m also trying to access to my modem externally with this address:
https://myrouter.ddns.net:8443/
By "modem" I assume you really mean "router", i.e the Asus.

You need to forward port 8443 on your ISP modem/router to the Asus (192.168.1.94), or put the Asus in your ISP device's DMZ.

I have an asus AC86U and my ISP doesn’t let me set the modem in bridge mode.

Do you have access to ISP's router?
If you do, then just place your ASUS router IP address in DMZ as @ColinTaylor suggests. This is the equivalent of Bridge Mode. Not exactly, but no Double NAT issues either and you can access your ASUS router easily.

Better disable WAN access and set a VPN server to access your router. It's more secure than WAN access with ports open.

That's because that is its IP address.

By "modem" I assume you really mean "router", i.e the Asus.

You need to forward port 8443 on your ISP modem/router to the Asus (192.168.1.94), or put the Asus in your ISP device's DMZ.

My mistake, I meant that I'm trying to access the router, not the modem.

I had to port forward the port from the modem, and now It's working!!

Thank you.

Do you have access to ISP's router?
If you do, then just place your ASUS router IP address in DMZ as @ColinTaylor suggests. This is the equivalent of Bridge Mode. Not exactly, but no Double NAT issues either and you can access your ASUS router easily.

Better disable WAN access and set a VPN server to access your router. It's more secure than WAN access with ports open.

That's what I did, I'm using ovenvpn and now I can access every device on my network like a local network.

Thanks for the suggestion man, I appreciate your help.