What's new

Download speed cut in half when run through 24 port switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stin4u

New Around Here
Hello all,
I've been put in charge of handling a problem with our small business network (around 10 laptops/10 VoIP phones). The problem I am encountering is that our download speed appears to be cut roughly in half with our wired connection through a 24 port switch. We pay for 15mbps through cox business solutions; running a speed test while wired typically yields about 8-9mbps. We run a cisco cable modem>netgear WNDr4000>trendnet TEGS24DG un-managed switch>VoIP / workstations.

The switch seems to be the bottle neck. If I run a speed test wirelessly, bypassing the switch, I get roughly 20mbps download. If I connect to the 4 port switch on the router or directly to the modem, I get the same speed. Plugging directly into the switch yields 8mbps download. I've check the wired connections, they are running in full duplex at 100mbps through the switch. I've turned off any multimedia priority in the router and turned on QoS rules to prioritize VoIP etc.

We've had issues with our VoIP quality as well as our VPN connections dropping and I am wondering if it is because of the limited bandwidth with our wired connection. I'm no networking wiz so any suggestions you all can offer would be hugely appreciated :D

Hello all,
I've been put in charge of handling a problem with our small business network (around 10 laptops/10 VoIP phones). The problem I am encountering is that our download speed appears to be cut roughly in half with our wired connection through a 24 port switch. We pay for 15mbps through cox business solutions; running a speed test while wired typically yields about 8-9mbps. We run a cisco cable modem>netgear WNDr4000>trendnet TEGS24DG un-managed switch>VoIP / workstations.

The switch seems to be the bottle neck. If I run a speed test wirelessly, bypassing the switch, I get roughly 20mbps download. If I connect to the 4 port switch on the router or directly to the modem, I get the same speed. Plugging directly into the switch yields 8mbps download. I've check the wired connections, they are running in full duplex at 100mbps through the switch. I've turned off any multimedia priority in the router and turned on QoS rules to prioritize VoIP etc.

We've had issues with our VoIP quality as well as our VPN connections dropping and I am wondering if it is because of the limited bandwidth with our wired connection. I'm no networking wiz so any suggestions you all can offer would be hugely appreciated :D

Change out that switch. Can you get a managed switch instead. Those switches from Trendnet tend to be slower. I have two of those once I removed them and got the managed L2 switch issue was gone. Also which cable modem are you using from Comcast?

Ubee D3 Auto/000

or

Motorola D1 or D2 Auto/10/100

Upload speed on 20m down and 5m down mostly 1m to 4m with them. The Ubee D3 modem can give you a slight boost in connections.

Thanks for the reply, tipstir.

I'm going to suggest we try changing out that switch. I've not had much positive feedback from trendnet products in the past so it wouldn't surprise me if that solved the problem. That appears to be the only other solution at this point. Also, we run through Cox not comcast but the modem is a Cisco dpc3010.

I'm going to suggest we try changing out that switch. I've not had much positive feedback from trendnet products in the past so it wouldn't surprise me if that solved the problem. That appears to be the only other solution at this point. Also, we run through Cox not comcast but the modem is a Cisco dpc3010.

Cox is even better, your set then.. If you have runs more than higher than 50 to 100FT tell them to put in a booster. How far is the modem from the drop box outside? 25feet is okay more than that. You need that you need a booster. I had 2x of those when I had Cox last year.

I'm not sure how far the modem is from the box outside the building but I know they've had maintenance folks here more than a few times to look at the box itself. The speed connected directly to the modem is actually more than expected, which is fine, it just seems that the switch is bottle necking any wired connections.

We're going to look at a replacement for that trendnet switch because nothing appears to be curing our speed issue.

I'm going to suggest we try changing out that switch. I've not had much positive feedback from trendnet products in the past so it wouldn't surprise me if that solved the problem.
Link lights show 100 or 1000BT, not 10BT? Could be auto-negotiate problem.

Trendnet is inexpensive. Caveat Emptor

stevech, the link lights show 100, my wired connection shows 100mb full-duplex connection in w7 event viewer.

Remember 100mbp is only 60mbp. Trendnet switches for unmange with green points the hardware inside them not that great. Best to invest in a Smart Web Switch or even get Manage L2 Lite Switch gives you more bang for the buck. Has it's own Network Memory, Processor is better and you get Web Admin UI to tweak it. Each Ports can be set from Half/Full ((Auto/10/100m/disable or Auto/10/100/1000m/disabled)). You can also avoid the fan designs with the newer models that don't use fans. They run cooler with their assortment of heatsink. Green technology mostly seen unmanned but the seem to be less powerful.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!